Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • QR rack/pannier ideas
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Having recently frankensteined my Mk1 Roadrat into a respectable looking gravel/flat bar mtb/pub-bike master of none, I’m looking at a way to have it available for occasional commuting. However, commuting requires lugging a laptop, some shoes and clothes 7 miles each way.

In its original spec, it was singlesped with a rack for my Altura panniers (I find the messenger bag/rucksack method too sweaty), but the rack is now gone. Does anyone have any recommendations on a QR solution for sticking the panniers on when I need them, without having to faff with Allen keys? The Topeak beam rack looks like an option, but is slightly over-engineered, and seems to sit rather high.

The frame still has the rack eyelets, in case they’re of use.

nbt

for a laptop? Get a proper rack. You can try the beam rack and try the rack pack that has fold out pannier style side pockets (plus the frame that hangs off the beam rack) but personally I wouldn’t trust it

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve already got the panniers, and am happy to use a “proper” rack, but I’d like to have a way to fit/remove it as needed, without getting the allen keys out.

parkesie
    Free Member

Topeak beam racks come in 3 off sets one drops one straight one up. The mtx slide on bags are handy for commuting aswell.

Bez

Not sure exactly what you’re after, but QR panniers are as common as muck. I don’t know of any QR racks, but it’s four Allen bolts to fit or remove a standard one…

CraigW
    Free Member

The Tailfin rack is quick release, and super lightweight. Though silly expensive, and needs special panniers etc.

Or maybe the Thule Pack ‘n Pedal? Still needs an allen key, but maybe quicker than other racks.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Praps I’ll give the Topeak one another look. I just figured that the slidey-locky mechanism was overkill.

PhilO
    Free Member

Not sure how easy it would be to find in this country, but if you can manage with a single pannier would something like this work?

https://www.xootr.com/crossrack-seatpost-bike-rack.html

ETA:

R&K do something similar, although you end up with a bigger bracket permanently attached:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KlickFix-Universal-Tr%C3%A4ger-Vario-Rack/dp/B07GW8WLM9

16stonepig
    Free Member

Ooh, I rather like that idea! I could get away with a single pannier, but it would be fairly well-packed. I wonder what all that weight high up would feel like.

Bez

If you’re looking at those options, take a look at the Carradice SQR system.

Andy

+1 for Carradice SQR. Bombproof and so easy to unclip the bag.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve used the beam one in the past – they move about a lot (as in twist on the seatpost) despite how tight you do them up. I wouldn’t want a lot of weight on it (see laptop) as you’re constantly having to push it back in line

scruff9252

What size is your laptop? My 13″ work laptop fits in a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddlebag nicely.

Just checked and I can get a pair of size 12 shoes, a 13″ laptop and a big wooly jumper in my carradice for reference. Should be fine for a work shirt and troos…

Andy

Yeah I could fit laptop, shirt, bits and bobs in my SQR Tour easily. Rock solid on the bike as well, and so easy to unclip in seconds and carry into work. Only bit of kit from my cycle commuting days I havent sold on. Use it for shopping now.

PhilO
    Free Member

Another option:

Randonneur Seat Post Rack®

Although not really pannier-compatible so of doubtful benefit over an SQR.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘QR rack/pannier ideas’ is closed to new replies.