Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Q,if a car was blocking a bridleway….and
  • ton

you smashed the drivers mirror off as you went past, would you try and find out who the car belonged to.
    or does it serve them right for leaving it blocking the entrance/exit to a bridleway.
    and i am not has wide as a horse…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you sure about that last statement? 🙂

matt_outandabout

So you left a note with mobile no. on then?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Coyote
    Free Member

Was it an accident or a malicious act?

All things considered, probably not. There may be a very valid reason for them parking in such a way as to cause an obstruction but somehow I doubt it.

However prepare yourself for threats of being owned by bombers or being beaten to within an inch of your life by Hora and other petrol heads who seem to view cars as sacred objects with considerably more value than *anything* else.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Report it and get it towed away?

miketually
    Free Member

A bridleway is a highway, so must be kept clear.

ton

it was a accident, but my initial thought was ‘serves the **** right’.
    it is next to a call center, they dump their cars there everyday because there is not enough parking space.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheaper for the driver than the parking ticket he/she should have got.

scruff
    Free Member

Bridleway entrance I use alot is often blocked by socer dads Audis, its just seen as somewhere to park. If they get scraped by my brake lever tough sh1t, but I wouldnt do it on porpoise.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I once nearly crashed into a pickup truck parked about 100 yds from teh road up a bridleway.

I may have been distracted by the feet pressed against the windscreen and the hairy arse bobbing up & down between them!

Olly
    Free Member

as scruff, i wouldnt do it on purpouse, but theyve parked in an inconsiderate manner, i had taken enough effort to avoid scratching my bike, and it still gets knocked off, tough tits. I wouldnt loose any sleep over it.

you and they should chalk it down as a UCAS point for the university of life

Del

i once parked in an entrance to a bridelway. i’d blown a tyre at about 6 in the evening, and found the spare flat too. i tried to get the car recovered, but the aa wouldn’t come out due to flat spare ( cheers! ). the car was parked right over to one side, and there was room to get a vehicle through.
    i returned the next day with a mate to remove the wheel and get a new tyre ( shredded wall ). chap up the road came out and started laying into me verbally. apparently the farmer had all sorts of trouble getting his tractor in and out ( unfortunately this was the very day he was harvesting ). i asked him if he had moved my car, as it wasn’t where i had parked it. he quietened down. i guess the farmer hooked up to the car and dragged it out a bit to make his life easier – fair enough, and i didn’t care about the car. If he’d have taken my mirror off though, i’d be getting his details.

jfeb
    Free Member

Cheaper for the driver than the parking ticket he/she should have got.

Not necessarily. The glass in my mirrors is auto dimming and cost £130 for the part only!

But to the original question, I would like to think that I would leave my details and pay for the damage but in reality I suspect I would just carry on and curse the owner of the car for blocking a right of way. I am not as principled as I would like 😉

(which is what has happened three times to my car parked on the road, perfectly legally, outside my house)

tandemjeremy.com
    Free Member

Ok – put it the other way round.

Your bike is blocking a drive way entrance so a driver knocks it and breaks your bars/shifter or somesuch.

You cannot honestly say you would havethe same attitude the other way around.

If a trail obstruction is present then surely its better just to leave a small note and suggest other parking options may be available.

All this justification for what is basically vandalism and wilful damage (you had the option to get off and safley push past) is shameful and reeks of an arrogance unbecoming of gents who apparently like to quote ceratin laws like the validity of bridelways but not peoples right not to have their cars damaged.

tits.

tandemjeremy.com
    Free Member

my apologies for poor spelling in case the sanctimonious righteous fools crop up.

psling
    Free Member

“A bridleway is a highway, so must be kept clear.”

A Bridleway is actually a Right of Way, not a Highway. That means it is a route along which you have a right to pass and repass over owned land. It should not be obstructed and you should report the obstruction to the local RoW Department. May be difficult for them to deal with though if it is only a temporary obstruction which changes from day to day; perhaps suggest that they should notify the business that their staff shouldn’t obstruct the RoW with their cars.

Doubt if the police would be interested about the obstruction because it would be a civil offence, not a criminal offence, since it is on private land and the car driver may have the permission of the landowner to park there.

As to knocking off the mirror, that’s up to your moral judgement. Perhaps leave an (anonomous) note suggesting that it wouldn’t of happened if they had more respect for where they park and not block a RoW. That’d teach ’em 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

in case the sanctimonious righteous fools crop up.

LOL! Sweet irony.

chakaping
    Free Member

what is basically vandalism and wilful damage

Erm, but that’s not how Ton explained the situation. I suspect you’d have a very different attitude if it were a large dog rather than a car blocking the BW.

jfeb – Yes, I did think after I’d posted that I could well be wrong!

TheGingerOne

It is a difficult one. I had an incident with a driver on a road which resulted in her wing mirror being broken (completely unintentional) – she reported it to the police and they camped out on the route until they saw me and I was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage, the desk officer also asked whether I was to be charged with failing to stop at the scene of an accident. Luckily they saw sense and the charge was dropped, but it would appear that the incident constituted an accident and I should have stopped and reported it to the police there and then – not that the car driver stopped (I did ask whether she was also going to be charged with failing to stop).

So, if you use the route regularly I would wacth out for the police. Might be worth reporting it first though to state that it occurred and it was unintentional.

If they always park there and block it, then I would report it to the local Council Right of Way officer and you could also send the company a letter stating that you have done that. They might take action against their staff themselves – though doubt it in reality.

AndyP
    Free Member

Ok – put it the other way round.

Your bike is blocking a drive way entrance so a driver knocks it and breaks your bars/shifter or somesuch.

You cannot honestly say you would havethe same attitude the other way around.

I don’t get this one. My bike wouldn’t be blocking a drive way entrance. If it were, I’d expect someone to move it/drive into it. I’d be a c*nt to leave it where it was blocking something.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Did they park there on purpose? Who knows really. If you did it by accident if It was me I would of left a note with a mobile number etc. The reason I would is if it was my car I would be pretty peeved!

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

How many of you ride with a pen and paper?

Can’t say I do, don’t think they’d be to happy if I scratched my number into the paint work with my multi tool.

scruff
    Free Member

tandemjeremy.com – Member
    … reeks of an arrogance unbecoming of gents who apparently like to quote ceratin laws …

😆

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ahhh good point Jackass 😀

Nick

Step back a second, the fact that the car owner may have been inconsiderate doesn’t excuse your own carelessness in damaging the car. So pay up imo.

matt_outandabout

How many of you ride with a pen and paper?

I do – in my first aid kit – how else do you record difficult medical stuff and times, Grid Refs etc when the sh*t hits the fan?

ton

if the car is still there when i go home i will be leaving my phone no and name.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh ffs, I wouldn’t worry about it! Shouldn’t have parked there, selfish gits. If there car’s been ‘accidentally’ damaged, whilst parked illegally, they wouldn’t be able to claim off the insurance anyway. Just forget about it.

And shit on their bonnet, next time…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

If you were any good a riding a bike you’d have hopped up on to the bonnet, pulled a super sweet manual across the top of the car then pulled a slick as 180 nose tap drop off, roll-back reversal then rolled away.

Amateurs.

diz

If it is still there when you go home i will have it for banger racing!

tandemjeremy.com
    Free Member

[/quote]Step back a second, the fact that the car owner may have been inconsiderate doesn’t excuse your own carelessness in damaging the car. So pay up imo.

Thanks Nick – that was exactly the point i was trying to make.

if the car is still there when i go home i will be leaving my phone no and name.

good man.

Oh ffs, I wouldn’t worry about it! Shouldn’t have parked there, selfish gits. If there car’s been ‘accidentally’ damaged, whilst parked illegally, they wouldn’t be able to claim off the insurance anyway. Just forget about it.

And shit on their bonnet, next time…

Twonk.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Note tandemjeremy.com is not me!

Its another wannabee

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Are you the Real Tandemjeremy, the Provisional Tandemjeremy, or some other splinter group??

So, tell me, why should someone trying to get past an illegally parked car, which is obstructing their right of way, have to pay, if said car gets damaged in the process? If the police or Fire Brigade needed to move it, to gain access, and it got damaged, ittud be tough shit. Remember, we’re talking accidental damage here, not deliberate.

I’m with sootyandjim; that’s a great idea!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I hope you were wearing your helmet!

😉

Coyote
    Free Member

If there car’s been ‘accidentally’ damaged, whilst parked illegally, they wouldn’t be able to claim off the insurance anyway

Apart from the obvious grammar errors I agree with Rudeboy here. If s/he hasn’t taken the trouble to park their car properly then they can’t care too much about it. Therefore I wouldn’t bother leaving any details. Unless of course you are setting a trap and have the intention of bumming them senseless as a lesson for their inconsideration. Dry, of course…

29erKeith
    Free Member

I either run of cycle to work every day and I go past a specific premises everyday and their vans park nose to tail all along the verge, pavement and block pavement access along a public right of way and main cycle route with single and double yellow lines the length of the section in question.

I’ve contacted local parking enforcement, the council’s ‘ActionLine’, council employees inc. one who’s a CTC rep, local councilor, the local police and the management of the company myself in person and all I’ve seen is 2 parking tickets.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve struggled to get along the pavement, nearly got knocked over nearly stepping in to the road with zero visibility to find a car or HGV heading for me and been pulled out on when on my bike by one of their vehicles as they themselves have next to no visibility coming out of their yard ‘cos of their stupid parking.

I’ve just about given up trying to get anything sorted via proper channels. I’m at the stage where I just want to start pulling mirrors off and running over bonnets. I wish I had the skills to hop my bike across their bonnets too.

none of the official routes I’ve contacted so far give a toss, the majority don’t even reply at all.
    arrghhhhh!
    Rant over! [Takes a deep breath]
    Point is, in my experience it’s a waste of your time and effort to report it

Rip the mirror off and maybe they’ll think again next time!

scruff
    Free Member

I wont mention pushing a pram down the pavement with cars blocking it forcing you to go round it on the road with mini-me. Same thing. Selfish twunts.

antigee

[selfrighteous]personally i find it a little galling to have keep telling my (small) kids to take care as they cycle on the pavement past park cars that are leaving space for cars to maintain speed on the road but don’t care a toss about people using the pavement[/selfrighteous]

if it is a regular obstruction i would report it – one problem is planning peep’s (don’t all shout at me!) following government guidelines restrict parking on new business developments – assumption i believe being this encourages use of public transport / cycling etc – all it does is create problems in adjacent roads … and oh yes people are lazy and inconsiderate… Ton should have his bike clips taken away for lack of attention

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t much care for the post hoc justifications. Ultimately, it’s hard to understand how this happened “accidentally” as opposed to carelessly (fair do’s if iot did), but it sounds like it was in some sense your fault that it happened, although it wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t been parked there. I’d offer to pay, you’re offering to pay. All good.

🙂

Christowkid
    Free Member

29er/Scruff:
    Me and old gf used to return to her stables after a hard day at horse trials, knackered, tired irritable both us/ horse, and desperate to go home. Always could never go down lane due to cricketers parking stupidly all along it, would never move for us and horse box.
    Came home one day – road clear what??????
    Later on learned that local farmer had same trouble trying to get tractor and baler through earlier that evening. He went into the club house whilst cricketers ‘at tea’ and no one would move despite polite request to move their cars.
    He simply said ” ok, no need to ruin your tea. I ‘spec I can get the tractor through, not sure about the baler tho……..”
    As he ambled back to his tractor he was almost knocked over in the stampede to get their Beamers out the way of his baler!!!!!
    Blockages are a pain in the @rse metaphorically and litterally!
    Q

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Q,if a car was blocking a bridleway….and’ is closed to new replies.