• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • QECP – weather proof?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m supposed to be riding QECP tommorrow AM. I haven’t been since the recent improvements. Is it more weather proof? or should i swerve it ride natural trails closer to home, given the heavy rain forecast overnight?

DezB
    Free Member

Them roots will be slippy!
    No, I wouldn’t say it’s weatherproof, but its a good hard ride whatever the conditions. .depends what you want really.

superfli
    Free Member

If its rained after a dry spell then it will be slippy – this is when its most slippy. Continued rain throughout winter and its probably one of the better places to ride.
    Blue trail is mostly weatherproof, but still some work to do on the finish.

Having said that, there hasnt been that much rain, so you might be ok. I’m going up there tomorrow morning. Look for green banshee rune.

deviant
    Free Member

Weatherproof?!…haha, good one.

Erm, no…no QECP is not weatherproofed even with the new work.

It will be riding great after this long dry spell but i stopped riding there in winter because ultimately a chalk and clay hill wasnt much fun to ‘ride’ on….tried supertacky compunds, mud spikes, narrow tyres, wide tyres, high volume, low profile, low psi etc etc to no avail….miserable place in the winter and at times like that places like Swinley justify their existence!

Was over there last week (and Rogate) and both are running well.

DezB
    Free Member

.tried supertacky compunds, mud spikes, narrow tyres, wide tyres, high volume, low profile, low psi etc etc to no avail

Tried riding ability? 😉 😆

DT78
    Free Member

Was very loose and bone dry on thurs if that helps. Don’t think the new bits would be too bad in the wet. I’m supposed to be there tomorrow morning as well but reckon I’ll give it a miss and go out on the roadie instead. The flints looked particularly sharp……

smatkins1
    Free Member

I was there today. The little bit of rain just made the roots and chalk super slippery. The ground was still rock hard with a fine film of slipperiness on top in places.

I suspect you’ll be okay tomorrow even with the forecast rain… just don’t expect to stay upright for long 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

Also been up there this evening, just as it started raining hard.

Still fine, the amount of rain isn’t enough to have soaked in to turn it into the winter slop.

The surfaced bits are ace, better than when dusty IMO

I only bailed on the chalky final descent, where experience tells me the first rain in weeks will leave it insanely slippy on those final berms. Probably be OK after the first dozen riders have been down & laid down some mud

Blue trail is running very well though (PR’s all over it)

scottfitz
    Free Member

What M0rk said!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Chalk, so no.

mattbee

Pah. Been riding it all year round, it’s absolutely fine when it’s wet. The blue now gives a less slippy option to get up to the top of you struggle with rooty stuff when it’s wet, although only the first part of 1st climb on red is actually like that.
    Top bits of Red, Limberjack, Snakes & Ladders etc are fine in whatever conditions and the last descent drains really well anyway.
    As for being dire in the winter I used to agree, but this year I got some WTB Vigilante tyres, dropped the pressures as low as possible and got through the whole winter actually enjoying it!

dobo
    Free Member

last time i went i ended up with 8 stitches and an infection and a week on intravenous antibiotics..
    was sketchy as **** after a recent rain and was a simple instantaneous wipeout on a rather average corner

Thomthumb how did it go?

m0rk
    Free Member

Popped up tonight, sticky as anything up there following the rain. Lovely.

dobo – that’s why 95% of my rides up there have me wearing knee pads & that’s what I aim to land on!

dobo
    Free Member

yea, i dont have any pads, but if i ever go back i will. cant be doing with the cut being cleaned out with a toothbrush and the sensation coming back half way through lol, was funny though as i was proper facinated by it until it could start to feel the brushing against my flesh and bone.
    daily trips to hospital for my AB drip was particularly annoying.
    All staff were fantastic though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘QECP – weather proof?’ is closed to new replies.