Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • qecp enduro timing questions
  • marky29er
    Free Member

I’m doing my 1st enduro this weekend at qecp & am worrying about how the timing works, amongst other things!
    It appears there is a set start time per section, so obviously I have to be at the start for this time, so do I need to ensure my watch is super accurate? Or is there a big clock by the start that everyone uses?
    I gather that the start time is fixed, so if you get there late, then thats extra time added to your section time?
    I guess my concern is that there will be 150 people milling around at the start of each section trying to get into the correct order to ensure they all start at their allocated times.

Am I overthinking all this & worrying over nothing?

kimbers

yeah itll sort itself on the day the marshals at the start of each stage will be there to get you in order and youll end up riding the transitions with those that start around you anyway

see you there, im number 69

eranu
    Free Member

The marshals will sort it out, we will call your number at the start of each stage. The field should be pretty spread out and I very much doubt there will be 150 riders at the start of a stage other than when we kick things off at the race village.

The one thing I would say is bring plenty of water; looks like a hot one and there is no tap on site.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

I number 173.

You don’t have to be super accurate. Once you’ve finished each run, you just trundle your way to the top (probably with the other riders who started 30secs either side of you (and their mates if they’ve all waited for each other)) and get there around 10 mins before your next start time. So you just sit around for a while, then join the queue as the numbers before you start off.
    I was so damn stressed out before the last one, but there’s no need. Tis all good fun (unless you crash out!)

marky29er
    Free Member

Cheers for the reassurance. I was envisaging something akin to easyjet boarding at the start of each section.
    Thanks again, see you on Sunday! (113)

akak
    Free Member

79 here. Last year there were a lot of riders at the top of the transition but I think they have tightened up the timing this time.

scottfitz
    Free Member

79 here. Last year there were a lot of riders at the top of the transition but I think they have tightened up the timing this time.

Yep to reduced the numbers of rides waiting at the start. Last year transition was 40mins now its 38mins. You should still have a small rest at the top/starts before you have to do your times stage.

scottfitz
    Free Member

marky29er– Some race reports from last years race to give you an idea of what its all about (Both Fun cat riders):

Race report: QECP Collective Gravity Enduro

QECP Enduro 21st July

davosaurusrex

Scott – what time does signing on close? Given the heat and the fact I ride better blind I have a new “no practice strategy” this year! (Yes, I know it’s not recommended but I’m old and lazy)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Scott – what time does signing on close? Given the heat and the fact I ride better blind I have a new “no practice strategy” this year! (Yes, I know it’s not recommended but I’m old and lazy)

Not 100% sure but I reckon 10:30

scottfitz
    Free Member

davosaurusrex don’t you want to practice this double so you can hit it in the race 😉 https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/688538

davosaurusrex

Thanks but I can roll over doubles at 5mph whilst trying not to vomit my lungs up without practising. I know, it’s a real talent.

scottfitz
    Free Member

😆

DezB
    Free Member

is there anything to occupy spectators? (apart from watching me crash, of course)

davosaurusrex

I asked the wife if she wanted to bring the kids along to watch. She just looked at me like I was insane. I’m not surprised, exactly the same thing happened last year.

scottfitz
    Free Member

watching the riding and the ice cream stand and the BBQ. That’s about it for no riders

myti
    Free Member

I hope there’s no one watching the steep bit!

marky29er
    Free Member

Huge thanks to all involved in organizing this.
    Turns out I didn’t need to worry about the timing after all.
    I should have spent more time worrying about being too fat, too unfit, too old and too slow. What a great day 🙂

Simwit

I’ll echo that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I thought it was very well organised & huge thanks to all the marshals. Great banter amongst the punters too.

kimbers

anither top event even if i did spend an hour by the trailside trying to sort out my drivetrain

organisation was top notch angain qecp guys well done

great racing, good length of stages some interesting features- a nice crash for me on stage 4 on that rooty off camber bit, a great atmos a;l round

and once again brilliant weather!!!!!!!! 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

I think that crash may well end up on the video of the event. I was marshalling at the rooty section of stage four, and I was quite surprised there were only two big offs there, and even then the riders were up and away in seconds……….I was tempted to chuck some water on the roots to make it more ……’interesting’ 😈

I learnt lots watching the fast riders tackle that section!

DezB
    Free Member

To my eternal shame, I dismounted and ran down the final rooty section 😳 Was determined to finish the day with no crashes, and after clean runs on all other sections!

Brilliant day, well done again to Scott and all the QECP Collective lads.

singletrackmind

Gayer

myti
    Free Member

Much harder than I imagined but really pleased just to complete it especially the last section without dying!

kimbers
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Did Rd 2 of the Red Kite (Empire Cycles) Enduro this weekend.Some stunning trails,tight racing and a great atmosphere.Being in the middle of nowhere probably did’nt help the numbers but I’m now on a mission to spread the word.
    And FREE BEER!!…Once more FREE BEER.Form a queue.

DezB
    Free Member

Gayer

Fancy a bum?

mgig
    Free Member

I can see my crash was nicely captured on the last descent 🙂

eranu
    Free Member

To be fair no is gayer than singletrackmind.

We had free beer at our last event, it’s so passé 😉

kimbers

oh yeah loving the San Andreas with the Rockshox RS-1 prototype on the marzocchi stand

joefm

I think that crash may well end up on the video of the event. I was marshalling at the rooty section of stage four, and I was quite surprised there were only two big offs there, and even then the riders were up and away in seconds……….I was tempted to chuck some water on the roots to make it more ……’interesting’

I learnt lots watching the fast riders tackle that section!

I went over the bars on my practice run at the end of those roots. Found there was a tree where i wanted to turn. Had a look from then and got it nailed, low in high out. Then binned it on a part of Stage 1 that Id looked at after taking a highline and washing out. only a second off so not too unhappy

Good event everyone, well run and a nice transition. Bit more climbing and flat in the stages than last year but some more tech stuff too

Perhaps more stages and less flat stuff and climbing?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Perhaps more stages and less flat stuff and climbing?

QECP Day and night enduro 2015 😉 much bigger hill.

chiefgrooveguru

A great event! If only everyone realised how much work it takes to be this mediocre (no. 50)… 😉

P.S. Thanks for not nicking my pads!

DezB
    Free Member

More photos on BigMac’s Facebook. I bought his last year as they were so good. https://www.facebook.com/bigmacphotography/photos_stream
    I think he was the fella at the steep rooty stage this year – put me right off he did 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

More photos on BigMac’s Facebook. I bought his last year as they were so good. https://www.facebook.com/bigmacphotography/photos_stream
    I think he was the fella at the steep rooty stage this year – put me right off he did

On roots and rain too,
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/race2501/2014-jul-27-qecp-trail-collective-trail-collective-enduro-queen-elizabeth-country-park/photos/

davosaurusrex

@chiefgrooveguru – you appear to have been practising your bestest enduro elbows and look of steely determination in those photos! And for my sins I appear to be doing the hokey-cokey down the off camber bit at the end!

Awesome job Scott and all the QECP boys and volunteers on the day, that’s 3 out of 3 mint events now. Unbelievable weather yet again too!

Were the stages a bit shorter this year Scott? My time this year would have won pro last year so I’m guessing they must have been, especially as despite my no practice policy I ended up decidedly mid-pack, as usual….

scottfitz
    Free Member

Most were shorter and with less up hill in them. Also most were fresh cut lass time but they are bedded in now, which make them roll faster.

DezB
    Free Member

Great stuff. Positive vibes all round 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘qecp enduro timing questions’ is closed to new replies.