Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Q for LBS bike-hagglers
  • druidh
    Free Member

That’s why discussions on this forum regarding the role and value of the LBS are so wide of the mark.It would be better if those who owned/managed/worked in small bike shops had a dialogue among them selves to share experiences etc.

cookeaa

That’s why discussions on this forum regarding the role and value of the LBS are so wide of the mark.It would be better if those who owned/managed/worked in small bike shops had a dialogue among them selves to share experiences etc.

Couldn’t agree less, who really judges the role/value of any shop? Customers I’d have thought, they vote with their credit cards… Hence anyone is allowed an opinion not just those who own, work in or hang about sucking up to the staff in an LBS. I know what might tempt me through the doors and persuade me to open my wallet, but it’s not what my LBS actually offers.

Like I said I can see services which an LBS might offer which would still have value to the “fairly bike savvy” and yes they offer something for those who lack technical knowledge…

But I think it’s almost to be expected that the internet will not just steal away bike sales from the LBS but also provide plenty of How to guides allowing anyone so motivated to bleed their own brakes and set up their gears, denting after sales workshop and spares custom too…

Anyway coming back to the OPs question, it would appear to me that for close to internet money his one off customers get the bonus of having their new bike suitably sized, assembled and adjusted for them, and promptly piss off to spend the rest of their money via google… I’m not sure what more you can really do TBH.

Have you tried any other peripheral “Value Adding Activities”?
    An LBS near to me used to run weekly, free, guided local rides starting out from the shop and taking in various local trails (they did go under sadly), I suppose that would serve to build further good will, and add to customers feeling of receiving that “Personal touch”… But would it convert to more sales?

There is a limit to what a smaller business with limited resources can realistically do.

bencooper
    Free Member

It would be better if those who owned/managed/worked in small bike shops had a dialogue among them selves to share experiences etc.

http://www.biketradebuzz.com 😉

stratman
    Free Member

Even if you can do it, we’ve not all got the time

My bikes go to the lbs

IanW
    Free Member

Blue Sky….

If I were setting up a bricks and mortar bike retailer, I would be focused on servicing not sales, maybe have a range of impulse buy products in stock and expect something from the brands who I gave showroom space for their products.

T’internet is a game changer LBS is not a special case.

druidh
    Free Member

My point is that STW Forumites are not typical bike shop customers, so asking on here is almost irrelevant.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Q for LBS bike-hagglers’ is closed to new replies.