Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Q for Glasgow locals: lunch stop
  • ElShalimo

Help!!

We’ll be driving south from Mallaig to Yorkshire next month and want to meet a mate for lunch who lives in West Glasgow.
    Can you recommend somewhere to meet these needs?
    – nice food
    – Somewhere outside the city near an A-road or motorway
    – They don’t have a car but have a bike or can use public transport to get there
    – I’ll have a sea kayak on the roof and 3 bikes on the towbar rack, so it needs to be a reasonably safe place with decent parking, or somewhere I can have the car in full view

Any ideas?

falkirk-mark

Maccyds in Braehead (3 out of 4)

ElShalimo

😆

BoardinBob

West end probably the best bet. Some personal recommendations

Hanoi Bike Shop
    Paesano
    Crabshakk

ElShalimo

Thanks but I really don’t want to drive into the city at all as stated earlier.

matt_outandabout

Helensburgh seafront for chips?

federalski
    Free Member

Assuming you are driving along Great Western Road for the Clyde tunnel you could peel off on Hyndland Road and there are a few nice cafes, pretty posh area. Easy to go back down Clarence Drive for the tunnel. Only thing is parking isn’t great round there, just your luck.

ElShalimo

I usually go to/from the Highlands via Stirling/Callander to avoid A82 Loch Lomond queues, roadworks and traffic.

There’s usually not much difference in journey time getting over to Fort William going that way but at least you tend to keep moving.

oldtennisshoes
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Well if you’re going to Stirling you’ll presumably be skirting the SE periphery before heading up the M73 unless you go to the end the M74 and then up the M8/M80 in which case you need to come off the motorway to change direction. Charing Cross has plenty of places nearby but parking is eye watering unless in a multi, Finnieston is better IIRC. If you avoid the centre roads then you’re really just avoiding Glasgow though.

Is it a can’t be bothered driving thing or a security thing? If the former then it’s really easy to get on and off the motorway, if the latter then I can’t really help.

Merak

Can you recommend somewhere
    – nice food
    – Somewhere outside the city near an A-road or motorway
    Any ideas?

Sure,

Theres loads of up and coming areas West of the city now.

Why not stop off at Maryhill, a leafy enclave not far from the city’s famous west end. You can enjoy a bite to eat on one of the many street side eateries.

Or maybe venture into Springburn, again a lively little place, where the vibe is really going on a Saturday night in particular.

Again lots of choices for brasseries and wine shops.

– I’ll have a sea kayak on the roof and 3 bikes on the towbar rack, so it needs to be a reasonably safe place with decent parking, or somewhere I can have the car in full view.

This will be absolutely fine.

hurricanerun
    Free Member

I’ve always preferred Possilpark in N Glasgow for early evening tapas and a fino sherry. Amazingly diverse streetlife.

ElShalimo

@squirrelking – it’s security and parking. A Mondeo with a platform bike rack with 3 bikes and a plastic lump on the roof won’t fit in that many car park spaces plus security is a concern (it’d be the same problem in any city really).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tell him to get a train out to balloch and go to the chippy, it’s descent. Eat chips On a bench by the water and talk shite.

Anything else is moon on a stick.

irc

You’ll need to forego the quality food if you want easy parking visible from your table.

If a chain style carvery will suffice I’d suggest.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZsdEBrn8YHoXyFBB6

2 minutes off motorway. Easy cycle from west of Glasgow. Always plenty spaces in carpark. No dodgy types passing by.

moonsaballoon

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/scotland-northern-ireland/thestableskirkintilloch

I’ve never been but a mate from work who is local goes quite often . not far from the motorway and has its own carpark . Otherwise your looking at something like a brewers fayre type thing if you dont want to leave your car in the city center or west end .

gordimhor

Just let us know where you decide to park and when you’ll be there. Should be sound no one on this site has any use for a kayak nevermind three bikes 😊

ElShalimo

It’s a very leaky kayak and 3 grrrrravel hybrid mincing machines. Nobody on here would be remotely interested

😉

irc

The Stables car park is not visible from the bar or outside seating area.

maccruiskeen

The Stables car park is not visible from the bar or outside seating area.

true.. but the Stables is pretty much out on its own – a better place than most as a get-to-able spot outside the city whilst still being pretty well isolated from any passing opportunitists you might be worried about. A pretty good call in practical terms of actually managing to read the OP.  🙂

‘The Grove’ in Lenzie is close to the station or a sensible enough cycle out of Glasgow, has its own parking (well shares the parking with a chip shop and a little Coop)  and its windows overlook the carpark

If your pal has a bit more ambition for a cycle The Fintry Inn maybe – a wee village to the north of Glasgow parking on the road outside or in their own carpark directly opposite

maccruiskeen

“The Farm at No 12” is just off the M8 (in the fields behind  the airport) with its own parking and about 15 mins by bike from either Paisley St James or Bishopton train stations

https://www.facebook.com/thefarmatno12/

alanl
    Free Member

You make it sound like a bunch of ne’er do wells will be in wait for you once you cross the Glasgow city line.
    Been watching too many 1970’s crime films?
    You’ll be fine, neds wont be interested in the kayaks, and a lock around the bikes will put off any casual thieves, but, I wouldnt worry anyway. Crime isn’t bad at all in Glasgow, especially in the day time.
    I like the suggestions for food, Springburn and Possilpark would be on my list for you.
    But you’ll probably end in in a Happy Eater/Beefeater/Carvery place on the Great Western Raod.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

https://food.list.co.uk/place/103206-the-boathouse-kilsyth/

Boathouse on the canal, never been, but it’s a fairly nice location, as I’ve pedalled past a few times.

Mibbe a wee bit off route though.

Wagamama at the Fort, You’ll get a space near enough that you’ll be able to see the bikes/boats out of the big greenhouse that it’s sited in.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The Farm at number 12 is a good shout, not much of a detour off the motorway and plenty of parking.

If you are coming over the Erskine bridge then Ingliston equestrian centre in Bishopton is close by and that has a restaurant and cafe with some outdoor seating.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Kilsyth isn’t actually that far off the motorway, 10 minutes from the Condorrat turnoff. There are a few places on the canal that I remember, Kirkintilloch and Lambhill being another two spots.

@alanl
    I’ve lived in Glasgow and watched junkies nick bikes on Sauchiehall Street in the middle of a Saturday afternoon. It’s like any other city, I wouldn’t leave my bikes out in any of them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Q for Glasgow locals: lunch stop’ is closed to new replies.