Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pyrenees question
  • trout
    Free Member

Got the accommodation booked for our group get together
    St Lary-Soulon

question for the traveling STWers
    are there any real classic VTT routes
    you know must do rides in the pyrenees
    no Roady rides as they are easy enough to find on a map

sunnrider
    Free Member

Get a map of the GR10 hiking trail. It passes through Soulon.
    http://www.pyreneeshike.com/route.html

doug_basqueMTB.com

trout, you´re in the area for the guiding firms in Luchon there aren´t you? They might be able to help you out. There´s some sections of the GR10 there that are amazing to ride but seriously technical in places. Around Lac d´Oo it´s an amazing trail but top tier technicality. We do some rides for fun there with vehicle uplift but I only guide on the Spanish side so can´t help more I´m afraid.

ianv
    Free Member

nice, super friendly little bike park.

Might be something here.
    http://fr.wikiloc.com/itineraires/vtt/france/midi-pyrenees/saint-lary-soulan

jambalaya
    Free Member

You might have a search on here (link) – with the google translate on the trail notes can be useful

trout
    Free Member

Thanks guys joined Wikiloc and some good stuff on there
    will have a good study of the GR10 and see what fits in

Ta Doug afraid the money is tight so guiding is out
    I know we will miss some great trails but am sure we will also find some great trails .

We want to do the zigzags from the snow barriers down to Barrege and wondered if there was e route from the Pic Du Midi .

asterix
    Free Member

yes theres a route down from Pic du midi, bit snowy just now mind

Heading up towards the top of the village

Posted by Mountainbug on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

this is down in Bareges:-)

Edukator
    Free Member

The parts of the GR10 I know make lousy mountain biking. Push up, walk down, ride a bit. The Raid Pyrénées Gascogne used a long section of the GR10. I’d definitely have been quicker without the bike.

There’s some good riding in the Basque area, the Baretous area is quite good but from the Vallée d’Ossau east through 65 it’s too steep up and too steep down to be much fun. I did every edition of the Roc d’Osaau but one and the abiding memory is of suffering up and fear down. I’m in a club near Pau and last year we only went into the mountains a few times, the riding in the coteaux and foothills is much more enjoyable.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Edukator, I didn´t realise there was other STW´ers so close. Agree on the majority of the GR10, even here in the Basque Area most of it is at worst horrible and at best a good way to miss the best trails in the area. Some places it´s good though if you know how to link it up with other paths. It´s all horses for courses though, we do some riding around your area, on the Spanish side above Formigal and it´s lovely. Yeah, there´s some hike-a-bike sections and I wouldn´t want to do it every day but really nice stuff.

If you´re in the Basque country and fancy a ride then give me a shout.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking your thread Trout.

Edukator
    Free Member

We get to the coast now and then, Doug, usually for a swim and a visit to the Quicksilver factory shop in St Jean de luz. We did the Roc d’Euskadi on a tandem back in the 90s – great trails. I’ll drop you a line if we’re in your area out of season.

I don’t often ride in Spain after getting loaded into the Guardia 4×4 at gun point having declined their kind offer to take us to a Spanish hospital when Madame broke her collar bone. I eventually negociated a taxi back to France but dread anything going wrong in Spain.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Crazy story Edukator, when was that?! You wouldn´t have any issues here and especially not if you´re with me 🙂

sunnrider
    Free Member

The Guardia (Spanish National Police) feel naked without a gun to hand. It´s normal to them. Probably didn´t even realise you were freaked out.

Very little to choose between French and Spanish medical care, they´re both excellent, I know doctors on both sides.

Edukator
    Free Member

1994. About the same time our neighbour’s son got thrown in Spanish jail for a week or so because he cut a roadside sunflower. He was arrested for carrying a weapon – his Opinel. I worked in Barcelona in 89/90 but that’s another story(ies). Anyhow, I feel more comfortable doing daft and/or dangrous things in France.

Edit: at least you get fed in French hospitals so friends/relatives don’t have to bring food in, Sunnrider. Things have hopefully changed for the better in the last 23 years.

2nd edit: the Spansih road blocks when they’re waiting for separatists are especially impressive. One guy with a baseball bat, one with a big machine gun, two with pistols and all dressed like the IRA with just noses and eyes visible.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´ve heard a few tales about Spain and the Basque country in the 80s/90s, tbh glad I wasn´t around.

Things have definitely changed for the better, I have first hand experience of that.

I´m not too far down the road from Doug, there´s a few of us scattered around here. A meet up for a ride and a few beers would be nice when the weather eases up a bit…

(Sorry bout the hijack Trout, you are also invited though)

Mugboo

Trout, Scony did a day out with AQR around Luchon, he might be able to put it down on paper for you.

Doug, I’ve walked up to Lac d’Oo and back one September, I spent the whole time picking my lines in case I ever return. Although I reckon my nerves would be fried by the bottom!

I can defo recommend the duck confit and frites at the bottom though 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees question’ is closed to new replies.