Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pwllheli , Gwynedd, United Kingdom
  • Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi

We’ve booked an Air BNB in October randomly and know nothing about the area. We’re taking the road bikes and wonder if there are some nice pubs near by please?

Thanks in advance

😎

Premier Icon jkomo
    Free Member

It’s really nice.
    We had a caravan up that way for my whole childhood.
    Went back to stay nearby a year or two ago, and stayed in Llanbedrog, theres a nice cafe right on the beach. Worth a ride then breakfast, or beer or both.
    Abersoch is full of milliners for some reason.
    Hells Mouth another nice beach.
    I’ve not ridden so not sure but a strava search will help.

Premier Icon jam bo

Poshest spar I’ve ever been in. They had live lobster and a somewhat pricey wine section.

Premier Icon fossy

Wow, the cafe by the beach in Llanbedrog is still there. We used to stay at my BIL’s aunties place in Llanbedrog. The pub on the main road near the cafe is good too.

Some good road rides round the peninsula.

Premier Icon fossy

Glyn Y Weddw Arms in Llanbedrog

Premier Icon jkomo
    Free Member

That pub is the Glyn Y Weddw Arms. Now a massive place but still, part of our family history.

Premier Icon DrNickRiviera
    Free Member

We spend a lot of time on the Llyn Peninsula. The Sun in Llanengan is a good pub, some great rides on very quiet roads but nowhere is flat. The ride up Rhew Mountain is brutal but the ride down to Aberdaron from the top is brilliant. Some really lovely beaches including Whistling sands and Abersoch is good place to spend some time.

Enjoy

Chris

Premier Icon scuttler

Dylans at Criccieth is a nice restaurant. There was a thread on Lleyn a week or so ago. Will post it up. Spar at Nefyn also ‘suprising’.

EDIT https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/morfa-nefyn-staycation/

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

If you like Mexican get a takeaway from Pontoon on the harbour
    (Still closed for inside eating I think).
    https://www.pontoonpwllheli.com

theres a nice cafe right on the beach

That’s now called Aqua I think.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

We were near there on holiday recently. I didn’t ride, but the fella we were staying with said the road riding was great. Lovely part of the world. Remote, though!

Premier Icon mahalo

Glyn Y Weddw Is a bit of a shithole. My in-laws live in Chwilog and we love the peninsular but one thing it does lack is nice pubs. The best at the moment is the recently done up Bruncynan Inn nr Nefyn. I quite like the goat too.. ty coch is a must but can be a bit touristy in peak times.

We have only had bad experiences at Dylan’s in Criccieth but there is a lovely new cafe on the main road called cafe 46 (don’t quote me, might be a different number) they do the best egg custard in the world!

FIL is a mad roady Lycra bandit and he reckons the cycling is amazing when you know your way around. I usually eff off into snowdonia for proper riding but there are trails on garn boduan and theres always nant g.

Premier Icon Cougar

If there’s a really, really hot girl selling ice cream at a kiosk there, beware that it’s a front for a timeshare sales pitch.

Times might have changed in the intervening 25 years since I was last there, but…

Premier Icon erictwinge
    Free Member

didnt know about that Mexican place tho – nice one sharkbait!!

Premier Icon Simon E

We stay near Hells Mouth every year. Sun Inn, Llanengan is a standard Robinson’s pub.

I’ve not tried riding up Rhiw from the south side (it’s effing steep) but have ridden over from Aberdaron, which is lovely. Good chip shop and a decent bakery in Aberdaron. The cafe at Plas Glyn Y Weddw art gallery in Llanbedrog does good lunches and the cakes are rather special. Best coffee I’ve found is at a little place in Abersoch called Two Islands Ice Cream, they know what they’re doing.

If you like back lanes then the Sustrans routes in this leaflet are worth a look:
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/media/2996/llyn-leaflet-web-2015.pdf

Message me if you want more route ideas.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

I’ve ridden up Rhiw from the south (Porth Neigwl) side. It’s horrible. I used to love some of the other routes around the Llyn though – nice quiet lanes and lovely scenery. The loop around Garnfadryn is nice – I did it from Abersoch but it’s easy to do it from Pwllheli too. If the weather is clear the walk up Garnfadryn is very pleasant too – great views from the top.

Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Great, thanks all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.