• This topic has 48 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • PVD Peter Verdones Red Five bike
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Shorter fork, bigger tyres, longer back end and the next size up would interest me.

philxx1975
    Free Member

they’re…..your(sic) on the list.

Reported

honourablegeorge

Mine.. few mm longer in the stays, shorter in the reach, less travel and only 64 up front, but same sort of machine. Whatever the variations in the numbers, slack HA short stays on a long, low big wheeled hardtail is a lot of fun.

Can’t imagine how long it would have to stay dry here before I could think about a crossmark up front.

chiefgrooveguru

A Minion SS 29×2.3 Exo weighs under 850g and a matching DHF only about 900g.

I have a hypothesis that you want shorter chainstays on a hardtail than a full-sus, because the rear tyre always struggles to find grip without any suspension to help it track the ground, so driving more weight through it by having the feet closer helps. And it’s easier to change line with shorter stays which helps when you don’t have any rear suspension to let you charge straight through the rough.

chiefgrooveguru

Around here it goes quagmire-muddy-greasy-tacky-hardpack-crumbly-loose as it dries out. If it’s dry and warm the hardpack phase lasts only days before the trails go crumbly and then loose, so a Crossmark up front would work well for about 1% of the time! Even on the back decent side knobs are usually faster.

brant
    Free Member

Here’s “my” 29er anyhow. Though I did it for Steve.

It has a 70.5deg seat angle too, but it’s actually 72.5deg. Until he sits on it.

Oh – reach on hardtails – that’s probably something worth discussing too at some point (they get longer when you sit on them, when suspension bikes don’t. But don’t tell Renton or he’ll get even more confused.)

Then there’s the whole 83mm BB, 157mm back end, which is something like Superboost, except we did it a year and a bit ago.

Sam

The seat tube angle is nowhere near as slack as the number on the drawing makes it sound. The head angle is super slack and way beyond anything I’ve ever used, not that there’s anything wrong with that…. it looks interesting, the tyres are definitely narrower than I’d choose for that style of bike, but it seemingly has clearance for 27+ so I’d think can also fit wider than 2.1″ 29er rubber.

honourablegeorge

brant – Member

Then there’s the whole 83mm BB, 157mm back end, which is something like Superboost, except we did it a year and a bit ago.

So you used a perfectly serviceable existing standard to do what you wante, but didn’t feel the need to slap yourself on the back and send out fifty press releases coining a new term for it?

You’ll never succeed in th bike business with that atitude

STATO
    Free Member

Oh – reach on hardtails – that’s probably something worth discussing too at some point (they get longer when you sit on them, when suspension bikes don’t. But don’t tell Renton or he’ll get even more confused.)

He has that covered with a sagged geo chart. Its annoying when bike companies dont tell you if the chart is sagged or static, even more so when they dont tell you the fork length they have used.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PVD Peter Verdones Red Five bike’ is closed to new replies.