Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Putting Stans in a tube, anyone tried it?
  • oldfart

Just got my Hummer back together. Using Schraeder valves so just wondering if I took the valve core out and squirted some Stans in would that work to prevent punctures?

tiim
    Free Member

Yes – I’ve done this; basically DIY slime tubes.

chevychase

And slime tubes are shite, so don’t bother.

scaredypants

I think you maybe need a “big” tube that isn’t stretched too much when inflated, to allow the hole to seal

… and maybe fairly lumpy jizz

linusr

It didn’t seal the tube when I ran over a nail. Haven’t bothered since.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I put Finish Line sealant into the tubes on a gravel bike I borrowed. It worked perfectly when thorns were about. Better than I expected actually.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Use it with tubular tyres with some degree of success.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Isn’t that what the tractor tyre sealant is for?

packer
    Free Member

I used to get a puncture on average about once a week on my commute – drove me mad!

I then tried putting 30ml of Stans in each tube, and I’ve not had a flat since! Its been at least 6 months now.

Basically, it works.

tomd
    Free Member

Yep I’ve done it to pram tyre tubes and did seem to work, either that or our luck has improved massively.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’ve tried it a few times. Slime is a lot thicker.

It’s worked and it’s not worked. Last attempt worked.

Slime tubes seem very thick, so maybe it works better with thicker tubes.

duckers
    Free Member

I’ve ran no non-latex sealant in tubes for a good few years and it works fine for the smaller stuff like thorns, etc. Over the years I’ve ran Fenwick’s, now oko x-treme. Non-latex sealant dries out less.
    I’ve found a useful thing to do is was the tube out first as the powder in the tube can dry that down the sealant and make it too thick.

Picto
    Free Member

Used it in tubes for cross tyres, 34mm tyres. Worked for thorns without
    any problem.
    Used the tufo sealant in road tubular to fix slow punctures. Worked really well at 120psi. Does not seal big holes in the tyre though.

ringer13
    Free Member

You can put most tubeless sealants into tubes but they will dry out. For longer life use a water-based tube sealant like OKO Puncture Free Bike, or X-Treme for MTBs.

jimdubleyou

I’ve used Orange Endurance in tubes with mixed results. Doesn’t really like higher pressures, but will get you home.

lowey

Yep, on my CDF commuter. Worked a treat.

bob_summers

Colleague swears by slime tubes. I’ve never tried them, but are they as bad as people reckon?

shermer75
    Free Member

Tried this twice, didn’t work either time

weeksy

Apart from being really heavy, slime tubes are decent enough

bob_summers

Apart from being really heavy, slime tubes are decent enough

Tempted to try, not keen on tubeless faff, and as someone said above, I’ve used sealant in tubulars without really feeling much difference (until it sealed and formed a lump which was felt every rotation).

What are they, like 100g heavier each end than a regular tube?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not keen on tubeless faff, instead opting for tubed faff that is unreliable?

Tubeless isn’t faff if you do it right. Haven’t touched tyres for years. The problem has been solved.

If you want the easiest way to prevent punctures why not try that puncture tape stuff?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Slime tubes are probably the worst invention ever.

kerley
    Free Member

I found slime tubes useless and I am not convinced putting sealant in a tube at 90psi would work. Do those who say it works have any evidence, i.e removing a tube full of sealed up holes?

I ride in an area where I could pretty much guarantee a puncture if using too light a tyre so tend to use heavyweight touring/urban tyres as they are only tyres that don’t puncture (if using tubes). Tubeless on MTB was great, tubeless on road tyres at 100psi doesn’t work for me as the punctures don’t seal so would like a solution to keep punctures down on high pressure tyres without resorting to heavy tyres.

hooli

I put stans in the tubes on my kids bikes and it works well, not as well as tubeless but it isn’t always worth the hassle with smaller, non tubeless wheels and non tubeless tyres.

fasthaggis

Colleague swears by slime tubes. I’ve never tried them, but are they as bad as people reckon?

Slime tubes are probably the worst invention ever.

I put slime tubes in my son’s pub/Uni bike .
    4 years cycling around Edinburgh – 3 (big) punctures that wouldn’t seal.

Put Stans in the tubes of by winter bike for a few years (gone tubeless now). Worked well on the surfaces I commute on.I don’t do a lot of glass strewn town/city miles, but it did help cut down on the number of small flint/thorn type damage that I had been getting.

oldnpastit

Eventually you will get a puncture that won’t seal.

You then have an inner tube full of slime. You won’t be able to patch it because it’s too wet for the patch glue to hold, so you’re going to have to carry it home with you, leaking slime everywhere, and then deal with it.

Or I guess you could just hang it from a nearby tree and let the inner tube fairies sort it out, like everyone else does.

BillOddie

I did this on my rigid 29er as I was switching tyres fairly often, between mud tyres and road-ish tyres.

Worked fine on thorn punctures, which was kinda the point. Keep a spare tube in a bigger than necessary Ziplock bag, so if you get a pinch flat you can stick the now useless sealant filled tube in there.

Also, if you ave to put a normal tube in, make sure you check the tyre for thorns as it will be filled with them.

bob_summers

Hadn’t thought of the non repairable angle tbh, nor the carrying out of the wet tube. Don’t think I’ll bother.

Tubeless is faff. Haven’t used it since I tore a front tyre in a descent and arrived at the bottom covered in spaff. Whether it’s more or less faff than using tubes I don’t really know – I don’t get that many punctures, I ran tubeless for the lower pressures really. I’ll probably end up doing that again.

kerley
    Free Member

Whether it’s more or less faff than using tubes I don’t really know – I don’t get that many punctures, I ran tubeless for the lower pressures really. I’ll probably end up doing that again.

For me it was no faff at all in 2 years of riding tubeless on MTB. In the 2 years I got one puncture that deflated the tyre before it could seal and because I had become so blasé I didn’t even have a pump. Pumped in up when back at home at it stayed up.

I did however get a lot of puncture when using tubes (roughly 1 every 2 rides) so the befit to me was massive.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Putting Stans in a tube, anyone tried it?’ is closed to new replies.