Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Putting off doing something you want to do
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If there was something you wanted to do, say hypothetically go to a concert or event and you new there were a limited number of tickets why would you delay buying them?

a) Wait until nearer the time to see if you still want to go and just hope there are tickets left
    b) Only think about the event when riding and then forget about when sat back in front of the computer
    c) It is a bit like the petrol light challenge, you want to see just how late you can leave it and still get a ticket
    d) Other, please explain

On a seperate but related point, how you you be persuded to buy your tickets now instead of waiting?

DezB
    Free Member

I guess I’m not the best person to be answering this quesiton 😉

aracer
    Free Member

e) wait until the organisor stops posting messages which suggest he’s not selling many tickets

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmmm I wonder what the question is really about?

Pook

f) don’t really want to go to the event

druidh
    Free Member

So – how much do you stand to lose?

jimmy

g) too far away

Gary_M
    Free Member

z) People say they want to go to something but are a bit worried that it might not be very good. They keep trying to forget about it but someone reminds them at every opportunity. They have been considering going but the constant publicity has pissed them off so much that they groan every time they see it. They then decide that the type of marketing used is annoying them so much that the event will annoy them too.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay (goes away and is quiet)

DezB
    Free Member

Gary_M – let’s say for the sake of arguement that this is the BBB.
    WCA’s first attempt at organising an event of any such scale, and maybe he’s worried/anxious that the tickets won’t sell enough. He’s a popular member of this forum, so why wouldn’t he publicise it at every opportunity?
    Also, it’s going to be a .. hang on, sorry, no, you won’t enjoy. Don’t buy a ticket. Cheers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

DezB firstly I wouldn’t really have thought the forum rules would allow event advertising by a poster but obvioulsy this one is slipping under the radar. Good luck to the guy for the event but he asked the question and I gave my opinion, I find this kind of marketing annoying, maybe other don’t.

You know nothing about me so why would you say I wouldn’t enjoy it. I wouldn’t consider going because its too far away – end of.

Maybe ticket sales are low because people know someone as irritating as you is going to be there. Or mabe it’s the recession, I dunno.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Guys – It wasn’t me who mentioned the BBB deliberately.

My concerns are that the tickets are selling out quite nicely but a lot of the blokes on here who have expressed an interest haven’t yet bought tickets. My guess is that they, like me, tend to leave these things to the last minute. I want to avoid a lot of people discovering that the tickets have sold out and missing out on an event just because they delayed buying a ticket.

I promise not to bleat on about the Big Bike Bash as much from now on.

I needed to generate interest in the event and get people wanting to come, that has been acheived. Now I just want to let people know they had better get on and buy tickets.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, I’m really irritating, me.

bigsi
    Free Member

What about some sort of counter on the BBB website so people can see for themselves how many tickets are left a bit like D2D did last year on their forum (IIRC). That way people know how many tickets there are to start with, how fast they are selling and so how quickly they need to get their butts in gear if they want to go.

P.S. I’m not going as its a bit far for me, sorry 🙄

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You organised it for the wrong weekend.

It’s the same weekend as
    a) Cheesy jnr #1’s birthday
    b) Coming back from holiday
    c) V Festival

Even if it was on another weekend, doubt I’d go, ‘cos the familiy almost certainly wouldn’t want to go along anyway

Good luck with it though

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

oh it’s really a BBBBBBB thing ?

Nick

z) people say they want to do things but in reality didn’t have any intention of doing them; in other words, talk is cheap.

carbon
    Free Member

Personally I tend to leave entering events until a month or two before. It is rare that something sells out, and I have no idea what sort of riding I will want to be doing in six months time.

I agree with bigsi, stick a list of entries up, together with the number of remaining places. That way it gives a bit of urgency for people to enter.

jojoA1
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic idea and I (and my family) would be there if I didn’t live so far away.

I find the mentions of the event at every opportunity amusing and feel like they have become a bit of an STW institution. 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Yep procrastinate some more…

Imagine its the last day now-you call etc to enter or buy tickets but you’re too late and wish’d you did earlier?

Get up and do it now!

Do it do it…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What about some sort of counter on the BBB website so people can see for themselves how many tickets are left

Possibly counter(!)-productive. IE, if someone sees that tickets aren’t shifting that fast, the might lose confidence in the potential success of the event, and not bother buying any. I say, don’t bother, unless you’re down to your last few or whatever.

Maybe ticket sales are low because people know someone as irritating as you is going to be there.

??? DezB?? Dez is a lovely bloke! Proper friendly, laid-back, kind, genuine feller. If you are irritated by him, then I suggest you are praps a bit uptight!

I find your pessimism inertesting, GaryM. Seems like you might actually want BBB to fail, to satisfy some sort of schadenfreude within you.

WCA has made a hell of a lot of effort, to get BBB off the ground. I find his organisation and commitment staggering, actually. You’re underestimating him, if you think he’s just some ‘enthusiastic amateur’. He is extremely intelligent, and has really thought this idea through.

He is, also, an idiot, who busts himself up at every available opportunity. But that’s by the by.

I’ll be at the BBB. I’m really looking forward to it, as I imagine everyone else who’s signed up to it is as well.

WCA will no doubt remind me that I jolly well have not yet bought a ticket, but that’s because I refuse to, on principle. I shall be either burrowing in, or parachuted via Chinook.

It’s £40. For an entire weekend of fun and frolics. Involving bikes, beer and birds*. Bargainacious!

*Being based in the New Forest, there will surely be many species of bird to be seen. From Great Bustards, to Great Tits. Fabulous.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

to Great Tits. Fabulous.

well aleigh is going so that’s a cert :o) [Now I will be banned again]

Gary_M
    Free Member

I find your pessimism inertesting, GaryM. Seems like you might actually want BBB to fail, to satisfy some sort of schadenfreude within you.

More psycho babble from you. To be honest, apart from wca’s posts, it isn’t something thats on my radar.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No need for that, Barnes, you perv.

You don’t have to voice every smutty thought inside your head. Most of us manage some restraint.

And I’m quite upset that you’ve cheapened and sullied my attempts to promote the wonderful wildlife of a beautiful part of Southern England. Dragged things down to your base and sordid level. You grubby-minded rotter.

But worse than that; you have objectified and degraded the Lovely Aleigh. I’m horrified. I just hope that she is not too offended by your childish lechery.

You are a disgrace, Barnes. Now go and have a think about your comments, and hang your head in shame.

You naughty little boy.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Simon – Don’t worry about Aliegh, there will be enough blokes making tits of themselves.
    Garym – I am not offended by your accurate assessment that my constant BBBing might iritate but I try to make them a bit humourous to appeal to JoJo.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am aware of a numbe rof women attending said event. Not least the lead singer of one of the bands.

I dont think people realise what they are getting for their £40. Bargain IMO.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I didn’t think you would be offended WCA; I was just telling it the way I see it which I’m sure you appreciate. Some people appear offended on your behalf by my constructive criticism.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No need for that, Barnes, you perv.
    You don’t have to voice every smutty thought inside your head. Most of us manage some restraint.

uh, but if many of us thought it, it might as well be said 🙂

And I’m quite upset that you’ve cheapened and sullied my attempts to promote the wonderful wildlife of a beautiful part of Southern England. Dragged things down to your base and sordid level. You grubby-minded rotter.

But worse than that; you have objectified and degraded the Lovely Aleigh. I’m horrified. I just hope that she is not too offended by your childish lechery.

to the contrary, it was more a statement of objective fact, which I’m sure she’ll take in the spirit it was offered!

You are a disgrace, Barnes. Now go and have a think about your comments, and hang your head in shame.

I’m sorry. That I forgot to mention her fine arse…

mboy
    Free Member

If there was something you wanted to do, say hypothetically go to a concert or event and you new there were a limited number of tickets why would you delay buying them?

You’ve missed an obvious answer here…

MONEY… Or more specifically, lack of it right now! Also lack of wishing to spend on something so far in the future.

£40 might be VFM in terms of what you’re getting for the weekend perhaps, but it’s still a fair chunk of cash to spend on something that’s 5 months away. Most people don’t know what they’re doing a week or 2 hence, let alone 5 months hence, so are reluctant to spend any money on something, even if they want to go, just in case plans change or things come up.

There’s also a fair few of us who’ve barely got tuppence to rub together at the moment for one reason or another (lack of job in my case still).

My advice WCA, just keep schtum… If the ticket sales are going as well as you say they are, you should have no issue selling out. I appreciate you’re trying to help out some people that said they want to come by “reminding” them of it, but trust me, as an experienced event organiser myself, it only lands you flak from other people. You’ve just got to keep quiet and be the smug git when all tickets are sold and say “I told you it’d sell out quick” then!

That or apply for an extension on you capacity for the event. Sell some tickets on the door too that way, you can always get away with charging 20% more on the door than advance ticket sales anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t

own a 456
    go to HTN
    go to BBB

all for very similar reasons, if any of them were a bit less advertised I’d actualy turn up/buy one, as it is the very idea gives me a bit of a headache!

Oddly, now that the Brant/O-O hysteria has died down I’m actualy considdering a 456!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if any of them were a bit less advertised I’d actualy turn up/buy one

cliquism ?

meehaja
    Free Member

I’d go, but i live in yorkshire, which despite having some of the best riding in Britain, doesn’t have many events. I’d organise one myself but I’m lazy.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Will there be free cucumbers?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but i live in yorkshire, which despite having some of the best riding in Britain

if you like flailing through endless bogs :o)

Will there be free cucumbers?

no, they’ll all be in use 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

I don’t

own a 456
    go to HTN
    go to BBB

all for very similar reasons, if any of them were a bit less advertised I’d actualy turn up/buy one, as it is the very idea gives me a bit of a headache!

Oddly, now that the Brant/O-O hysteria has died down I’m actualy considdering a 456!

It’s unfortunate, but that’s the way it is. We (Hit the North) needed to cover the £12k staging cost with no advertising budget and the best way to do it was bang on about it on here. Sure, it annoyed a few people, but it worked. As long as the organisers are not in it for personal profit then there isn’t a problem. If people are going to stick their necks out and organise something then they need to publicise it. Sorry if it rubs a few people up the wrong way but you don’t have to read the threads if you don’t want to.

HtN 1.5 sold out with barely a mention from the organisers (a deliberate decision from us), because we had got the first one under our belts and had established a mailing list and other contacts as a result of it. We actually had some complaints from people because we didn’t pubicise it to the same extent and they missed out! (can’t win ’em all eh?)

WCA is doing it. Brownbacks/Big_n_daft is doing it. If they didn’t and their events got pulled or made a loss then what sort of example would that set to anybody else who thought of trying it?

Good luck to them.

40mpg

I’m hoping to come along, but havent sorted my summer holiday yet so can’t commit. I’m leaving that to the last minute in the vain hope to pick up a cheapy.

Also I’m within cycling distance of Avon tyrrell and am quite used to getting really quite drunk and riding home (or just riding all night) so won’t need sleeping arrangements unless the kids want to come. But they’ll only come if the weathers good, and then it all starts to get a bit complicated. So i’ll leave it to the last minute and hope there’s some tickets left, or climb over the fence if not 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

40mpg – We are offering a solution for people in exactly your situation. If you buy the tickets and then find out you cannot come we let you resell your tickets for full price via our website. This means you get your money back (less PayPal %)

BTW – This thread seems to have worked a bit. Thanks to the people who have bought the 9 tickets this morning. 1 family and a few individuals. Plus a couple of others enquiring about bringin campervans, yes campervans are allowed.

Pook

harry, i rode in HTN 1, but haven’t had an email about anything more – can you put me on a list please?

chris at soundhouse-media.co.uk

cheers

Harry_the_Spider

harry, i rode in HTN 1, but haven’t had an email about anything more – can you put me on a list please?

Ooops. We found that some spam filters objected to the word “info” in our e-mail address.

We’re not doing anything for another 10 months anyway. But WCA has got something planned aparently.

richpips
    Free Member

When you should be considering a Ragley.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Putting off doing something you want to do’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM