Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • putting cement on bike jumps?
  • lyons
    Free Member

I was thinking, if a small bit of cement was mixed in with the dirt, on the top layer of a jump, say just near the lip, and top of the landing, this would help make the jump more hardwearing?

And still be relatively easy to smash if we decided to change it.

has anyone done this?

undapressure
    Free Member

Done this whilst building a warehouse delivery area, it is usually called 'stiffening' in construction. If you mix the cement with the soil it forms a crust that is quite hard. Strength varies depending on ratio of soil to water to cement but it does go very hard, hard enough to lay a concrete surface on for HGV's to traffic over! Would make it more hard wearing but still easy enough to pull out if you only mix it on the lip of the jump.

lyons
    Free Member

yeah, what i was thinking… what ratio would you reccomend? Ive mixed cement for putting in lamp posts, and layin shed bases, but obviously this is different… I was thinking could maybe even do it on a few berms if it worked well enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

shouldnt need to do it at all

jedi

jumps take ages to bed in and shape

undapressure
    Free Member

We laid 1:1 soil to concrete but that was to form a base solid enough for HGVs to drive on. I would try 1:5 or 1:10. You need to disturb the soil where you want to strengthen the jump and then mix in the concrete. There could be enough water in the soil to strengthen the lip if you turn the soil over, if not, just use a small amount so that the mix goes thicker and more sludgy than wet concrete.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends on where it is – cement is a bit toxic and polluting is it not?

devs
    Free Member

The trail pixies in our woods have just sprinkled a bit of cement on top. It seems to have done the trick with the elements doing the mixing.

epicyclo

Concreted trails? what sort of mountainbiking is this? 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘putting cement on bike jumps?’ is closed to new replies.