Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Putting a map on the interweb for others to follow?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    I have a route mapped out which I want to share with other people. Anyone remember the reliability trials the road clubs used to do? It’s one of those I’m organising.
    I would like to upload it onto a website somewhere for them to download, something like the Gamin Connect site, Strava, that kind of thing.
    I have not yet ridden the route and so have no GPS plot of it, I will have to draw it on the map on the site.
    I want it to be acessable to everyone, whether they are signed-up to the site or not.
    Ideally I would like them to be able to download it into a GPS device to follow.
    Which site would the collective recommend that I use? Ease of use for me uploading (the training peaks site lets you click at various points and it follows the roads between them, which is good. You have to hav an account to use, so that makes it a no-no) and ease of access for anyone looking at it being the main considerations.
    Cheers guys.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I use an app called FollowMee, it’s available for IOS and Android. You can create a public url that shows either your current location or your location during the last X hours. I typically use it when going out on the bike for more than 5 hours or so. If anyone want to know where I am or where I’ve been that can just click the link. The only thing it won’t show is where you plan on going, but I dare say you could overlay a gpx or something. There’s also the option to generate a standalone map that can be embedded into a dedicated web page as an iframe, again using the same attributes i.e. current location, or location during the last x number of hours. All the person needs to view your location is a web browser and the url you send them, no logins etc required.

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

although I prefer bikehike to actually draw the routes as you’ll need a gpx type file.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve started using ridewithgps lately, I think it does all you want. I think you might have to sign up though, but it’s free(if you want it to be).
    My early impressions are, I’m pretty impressed with it, in fact I’ve just downloaded someone else’s route for my ride tomorrow.

andrewh
    Free Member

That bikehike one looks good, never heard of it before but that’s the kind of thing I’m after.
    Nice try Matt, and or all I know it’s very good, but I didn’t understand a word of it!
    Thanks guys.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not going well. The bikehike one wants me to save a file, but rather than saving it on the interweb for anyone to see it wants me to save it on my computer as a gpx file and I don’t have anything which can read a gpx file.
    I’ll try this ridewithgps one see how I get on. Any other ideas?

belugabob
    Free Member

You’re almost there -save the file from bikehike.co.uk then upload it to Strava, navigate to the route on Strava, give your friends the URL of the route, and you’re good to go.
    If your friends want the GPX, you can email it to them.

StirlingCrispin

Or just share the gpx using Google docs…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Putting a map on the interweb for others to follow?’ is closed to new replies.