Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • putting a 7 month old in a roof box
  • Pook

I’m off to dalbeattie in a few weeks, and as the car is going to be full of bike stuff, I’m going to put my lad on the roof. What’s best, strapped to roof bars in his car seat, in a roof box sealed up with some toys or just gaffa trapped to the back window to keep him out of the wind? It’s only 5 hours’ drive – will we need to stop?

bruk

Don’t think it matters as long as you remember to put him in rear facing, it is safer that way.

mtbfix

Tie the buggy to the rear bumper?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

stopping depends on the fuel consumption, id gaffa tape to the back as a roof box will drag down that economy, consider leaving at 10pm as 10pm-3am are quiter hours on the road (you’ll make more progress) kids out of the wind are good upto about 110mph – 10pm-3am are also normally the quiet hours for a 7 month old, however i would consider a double dose of calpol (10ml), 20ml of Whisky (available from duty free at the border) and a swig of night nurse in a bottle to keep the little tinker asleep

cloudnine
    Free Member

As long as you put a baby on board sticker in the rear window i dont see a problem with either. Make sure you wear a hat whilst driving too.

slackalice
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of a faff, roof boxes, gaffa tape and all the associated buggies, nappies, food. The whole trip turns into a logistical nightmare that requires military precision to execute.

Leave it at home with a supply of pizza, jars of baby food and instructions for the microwave.

Sorted.

bearnecessities

Sandpit a trailer, bob in on the towbar. Job done.

bencooper
    Free Member

True story – a friend who does Brompton mods once showed me how he carried his twins in a plastic box bolted to the luggage block. “You put one in facing left, the other facing right, and interlock their legs so they don’t fall out.”

His ex now has custody of the kids.

seadog101

Presuming that because the car is full of bikes, then your rear mounting rack is not being used?

In that case use one of those bouncy seat things dangling from it. Will cusion his ride nicely and provide other divers with hours of fun and distraction.

bencooper
    Free Member

While we’re on the “bodging stuff on cars” subject, here’s my neighbour’s bike rack:

Zimmer Bike Rack by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

dannybgoode

Much less drag if you strap it to the bottom of the car. Just pick a route that avoids speed bumps and you should be fine…

cheers

Danny B

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Pop him in a jiffy bag and send him on ahead—Special Delivery of course (unless you’re one of them irresponsible parents)

adjustablewench
    Free Member

A front facing baby carrier strapped to your chest, that way he can help drive 🙂

dannybgoode

Hood ornament?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bonnet mascot, just like a Rolls, but a Pook. 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

baby on board sticker

So you’d go to the faff of somehow attaching a snowboard to the roof and then attach the kid to the bindings. I like the idea, but will the baby be able to stand for 5 hours?

brakes
    Free Member

There are plenty of cubby holes in modern cars. I reckon half would go in the glove box and then the rest jammed under the two front seats.

seadog101

Thinking on, he’d be much warmer if you pop him under the bonnet, snuggled up nicely to the exhaust manifold. Just make sure he can’t reach any of the moving parts. Don’t want to nip nippers’ fingers off!

Junkyard
    Free Member

In the spirit of the other thread ending

Leave them, call Social services, see if you can get them back afterwards.
    Obviously I think you are unfit and I am sure they will agree

Its odd you asked for advice and people flamed you for making an informed decision based on others experience

Northwind

Try your local kennels, mine are always touting for business

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘putting a 7 month old in a roof box’ is closed to new replies.