Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Putoline removal
  • murdooverthehill

I’ve been using Putoline on my road bike for a couple of years and whilst it is damned good stuff I fancy a change as I’m getting a bit fed up with the black mess. Any advice as to how to clean the chain before I try out (and contaminate?) the Silca stuff I’m thinking about experimenting with?

MoreCashThanDash

Disappointed this doesn’t involve a cat…

tjagain

Any sort of solvent should do – even petrol.  Detergents are not enough

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a similar thought but it’s Smoove that I’d like to remove. Thought I’d managed it, but it’s still turning white spirit slightly yellow.

I was considering boiling the chain in water to try and melt the wax off

Seems the wax base of Smoove isn’t compatible with the Silca or MSW stuff.

fossy

New chain, less faff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

White spirit does the job, just stick it in a big jam jar and shake.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Guess I just need more cycles…

…of white spirit jam jar jiggery

jeffl

Petrol and set it on fire.

Good luck.

Ambrose

Mrs Ambrose is at work today. I am not. Having cleaned a bunch of old chains as best I can using white spirit and then hot detergent (Fairy liquid) I’ve now put them in the dishwasher on its most intense cycle. We shall see what happens!

The chains are never going on a bike again, I do need them for something else though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I just use the same technique when I am re greasing it. Swill it around in some petrol, maybe brushing, until iy looks clean then chuck it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Brainflex

Boil it in hot water with  dishwasher powder in for 10 mins, rinse off under the hot water tap n hang to dry.

Northwind

I use paraffin, less orrible than white spirit. But yep basically whatever aggressive solvent or really really aggressive detergent/surfactant you have. if you’re struggling, it melts at a really low temperature so even just using boiling water can make a big difference

reeksy

Kerosene in a zip lock bag. Leave it overnight. Done.

jkomo

I had overboiled my putoline from day one and never got that flakey wax super clean drive chain I was hoping for. 3 very wet rides on the GLF wax and the chain is the only clean thing on the bike. No idea how long it will last but it seems pretty good. Using slow cooker not a gas burner is much more civilised as well.

garage-dweller

I had overboiled my putoline from day one and never got that flakey wax super clean drive chain I was hoping for.

Interestingly I think I did the same. Mini deep fat fryer too hot and it’s boiled/evaporated the good stuff off.

My FS bike is currently on some Decathlon, Teflon stuff that’s so far been good as I got fed up of the Putoline goo.  I wonder if I need a new tin of Putoline before giving up on it but what on earth do you do with the waste stuff? 🫤

molgrips
    Free Member

You can avoid Putoline goo by giving it a thorough wipe with a WD40 rag after the first ride or spin.  Gets rid of the excess that gets pushed out of the chain which then stays clean for ages – perhaps even longer than if you don’t. I posted example pics on one of the many other threads.

I don’t think Putoline ever goes flaky and clean. That’s kind of the point – it lasts so well because it’s sticky and soft and doesn’t flake off.

But I don’t find much goo anyway – you are wiping it down whilst hot, aren’t you?  Not just sticking it straight on the bike when it’s lathered in the stuff?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use paraffin, less orrible than white spirit. But yep basically whatever aggressive solvent or really really aggressive detergent/surfactant you have. if you’re struggling, it melts at a really low temperature so even just using boiling water can make a big difference

All sheds should have a 5ltr container of paraffin. It’s great stuff, cheap not too smelly and useful for so many things.

smiffy

joshvegasFree Member
    All sheds should have a 5ltr container of paraffin. It’s great stuff, cheap not too smelly and useful for so many things.

+1 for paraffin/kero. Soaks through most filth, kind to bike bits, good penetrant, recycles by filtration for ever. I have a jack of clean and jack of dirty, even though the dirty is pretty clean of you leave it to stand then you can pour it off the sediment.

joshvegas
    Free Member

And you can use it in a pinch when your run out of what oil in the lamps.

smiffy

And you can use it in a pinch when your run out of what oil in the lamps.

A bit stinky in the house, tho.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.