Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Putoline question
  • sirromj

I’m still using my tin of Putoline despite saying I wasn’t massively impressed with it. It’s a guaranteed way of lubing the internals of the chain. Always rides nice and smooth after a dunking. I usually aim to get the worst of the muck off the chain before dunking it. Wipe the excess off chain with a rag while still hot. Top up with whatever lube every so often when the outside needs it (I won’t use the words ‘extremely sparingly’ as I’m not that careful).

scotroutes

scotroutes, I currently use much off wet. It seems to barely last a 10 mile wet and muddy ride. How do you get 50 miles out of it.

Dunno, but I’m not making it up or imagining it. Page Metalheart or Piemonster and they should be able to confirm it.

As for grinding paste – a sure sign of too much lube.

thenorthwind

Took delivery of a lightly used tin of Putoline wax from papamountain today.

I might try and get hold of a deep fat fryer eventually, but in the meantime, how risky is heating it on a gas stove? I presume it’s flammable, but pictures on the internet show the tin on a gas stove, so I presume it’s OK if you’re careful (of course, there’s a lot of pictures of things on the internet that aren’t OK even if you’re careful).

epicyclo

thenorthwind – Member
    …how risky is heating it on a gas stove? I presume it’s flammable…

That’s how we used to do it, on the gas ring.

Yes very flammable. Good idea to have a fire blanket handy.

Whatever you do, do not do it on your M-i-L’s stove. 🙂

Practical experience is a great teacher…

Northwind

It is pretty close to candlewax, it burns well. It also smells fairly horrible. But it really just needs a little care. I used to always do it on a camping stove in the garage

papamountain
    Free Member

Glad you got it ok @thenorthwind. I stuck it on the kitchen stove when I used it. Weird watching it as it heats up, like terminator liquid metal man.

Once fully liquid I stuck the chain in and put the gas on low. Seemed to work fine. Ten mins and then hang it up with the tin underneath to catch the drips. Wipe off the outside while still hot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has anyone else had it go greasy?

Mine must be pretty old now (8 or 9 years?) but it doesn’t seem as waxy as it used to be. Dunno if it’s broken down with heat or just contaminated with other lube/water as I’ve never cleaned a chain before dunking it.

Still works, just lasts 5-10 rides between lubes rather than seemingly the whole winter.

thenorthwind

Definitely one to do in the garage I think. Will keep me warm in there anyway! Might have a crack at it tomorrow.

luket

Had a tin for about 3 months, but not been riding much. Rather than how many rides, its success might be better measured by how many times would you have to apply normal lube by comparison with one application of putoline? I reckon it’s heading on for 10 times for me, but it’s early days yet. To really make it a time saver I intend to share the faff by doing multiple bikes at once, and maybe doing 2 chains for my main bike and switching them once one needs a relube.

thenorthwind

Well so far, I’m sold. Granted I haven’t even ridden a single mile with a waxed chain yet, but so far it actually seems like less faff than lube.

It’s more faff than sticking a bit of lube on your chain, but that’s not really the point since sticking lube on a dirty chain isn’t really helping much.

My previous routine was more like:
    Ride with clean chain, come back muddy
    Hose off drivetrain – should really clean dirty lube off chain but don’t bother
    Cover brake disc, spray with WD40 to stop it rusting while it dries
    Lube when dry
    Repeat until finally mustering enthusiasm to clean chain
    Then, remove chain, soak in degreaser, spend half an hour thoroughly cleaning with toothbrush. Wipe dry, WD40, re-lube. Go back to previous routine for another 6 months

vs.

Wax on stove to melt for 10 mins, quicker than I thought (bonus: found a use for all those nearly empty cans of camping gas lying around that are no good for cooking)
    Chain off, bit of wire through it, in the wax
    Leave for 10 mins, do other jobs
    Chain out, wipe down, hang up to dry (also doesn’t seem to take very long), back on

To be honest, if the wax lasts even twice as long as lube, I’ll be happy.

swanny853

Holy thread resurrection!

How do you all find this stuff behaves in the summer? Does it gum up with dust horrifically or fulfill what other wax based stuff promises and flake off cleanly?

Wally

Just as it does in winter – perfectly, but for longer.

Cheap fat fryer from Aldi and one tin of Putoline and you are good to go for rest of your cycling days.

Also, your SO does not go balistic as you drip it around the kitchen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wally + 1

I tend to clean the excess off the outside of the chain whilst still hot in summer* as wet weather and rusting is less of an issue.

It’s just like any other wax lube, only significantly harder and more of it.

*those big thick red work gloves, several layers of workshop paper and be careful, it’s still ~200C!

In winter I leave it on, the outer layer of crud keeps the rust away.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ll bring this thread back from the dead (again) to ask a quick question: Putoline users, when you buy a new chain, do you degrease it before waxing it for the first time?

(Actually, two questions – it sounds like cleaning the chain is more or less removed from the equation when you use Putoline, but when you rewax, do you still degrease the cassette and chainrings?)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, I just chuck the chain straight in the fryer whether it’s got old lube or mud on it.

Washing it in white spirit works, and stops the fryer filling with a layer of grit, but that grit just stays in the bottom of the fryer (much like it stays in the white spirit).

The only thing to be careful of is water, NEVER put a chain in the putoline after hosing the bike down, always let it dry first (or give it a swish in white spirit). Same if you’ve used water based degreaser (muck-off etc rather than a jar of alcohol / petrol / white spirit). The water boils and you end up with a workbench covered in a foam of putoline!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wash the bike then stick the chain straight in the fryer basket as is.  Then I turn the fryer on, maybe this is why I haven’t (so far) swum in Putoline foam

Can’t comment on cassettes etc as I have a gearbox

tjagain

if the cassette was all greasy from a different lube I would degrease it – mainly for the aesthetics but also to stop old oil getting everywhere.  with putoline your cassette stays clean so no cleaning needed.  With a new chain its pre lubed so I run it until it needs to be lubed then putoline it as usual

finbar
    Free Member

Cool, thanks all. I’ll try my best to avoid a Putoline foam party…

pedlad

Does the chain look clean while running this long lasting lube or grimy?

tjagain

IME clean if you wipe the excess of the outside

This is a pic of my rear cassette after several muddy rides – just rinsed off with water.  It looks like there is no lube left – but twist the chain you can feel the lube is still where its needed – in the rollers.  Running totally smooth and if you run a finger along the chain you get two lines of wax where its between the inner and outer links so still plenty of lube.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22U4TSx]IMG_1209[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

nedrapier

is the stuff in the tin solid or liquid at room/garage temperature?

nedrapier

And tj, is your axle snug in tehe drop out? Looks like it might be a bit out?

tjagain

Aye – it don’t look right in that pic.  Dunno why.

Its solid at room temp  Thats why it stays on the chain.

nedrapier

Thought so, just a bit confused by the “chuck the chain in the basket then turn the heater on” comment.

What’s the best way of getting into a fryer for the first time? heat and pour or get the cutlery on it while it’s cold?

Betamax
    Free Member

What’s the best way of getting into a fryer for the first time? heat and pour or get the cutlery on it while it’s cold?

Definitely scoop it out cold. Doing it hot would be inviting disaster

Betamax
    Free Member

Definitely scoop it out cold. Doing it hot would be inviting disaster

Maybe not disaster, but a real ball ache of a clean up

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did it hot, just wear gloves.

bluerich

I read somewhere of a ‘homebrew’ Engine oil/turps mix (could have been meths) that appears to work. Guy said he kept returning to it after trying commercial brews. Store my chains in engine oil after sonic deep clean.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Putoline question’ is closed to new replies.