Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Putoline chain wax at higher temperatures
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

The recent threads on Putoline have piqued my interest. Been out and bought a tin but have stopped short of using it when I had doubts over the affects the high temperatures here in Aus might have. Do we see any issues with this in temps in the 30s?

tjagain

I can’t imagine any.

theotherjonv

the data sheet says melting point is >68C, I don’t think you’ll reach that.

Although it does make me think about leaving the bike in direct sunlight in the height of summer – but that could happen anywhere. Well, anywhere that sees the sun, so not scotland…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’ve bought it now, whats the worst that could happen?

martymac

Air temperature might be 30+ in oz, I could imagine the metal parts being hotter if the bike is lying in direct sunlight with no breeze, so yeah, it’s a consideration.
    As above though, it melts at 68c, which is almost the temperature of a cup of tea (70c iirc)
    So unless the bike is so hot you can barely touch it I’d say it’s probably ok.
    Never been an issue in fife, that’s for sure!!

theotherjonv

Strictly, it doesn’t melt at 68. It melts at >68, and (although I’m a chemist I’m not a H&S / data sheet expert) I suspect that has been chosen as a threshold for flashpoint / flammability measurements. ie: if it is not liquid at 68C it doesn’t flash at that temp and therefore doesn’t need labelling (might be wrong)

It’s like saying Sale! Up to 50% off, and then finding the jeans you want are 5% off – that’s ‘up to’ 50% so legit. >68C might mean it doesn’t actually melt until 120C, or 2000C, they’re both >68C

If we knew what the base wax wax this might help, but the reality is that i suspect it won’t be an issue even on a hot Aus summer’s day.

Image result for melting point of waxes

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Awesome. Will report back after application. Drive train now immaculate and so just need to wax the chain.

timbog160

Speaking from Yorkshire I don’t think I will ever have to worry about the effect of high temps on my Putoline 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Putoline chain wax at higher temperatures’ is closed to new replies.