Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Put a tad of petrol in my diesel yesterday by accident and thought why not……
  • kaiser
    Free Member

get all car manufacturers to colour the area under the cap and the fuel stations to do the same to the pump nozzles so that when you mate the two it’s immediately obvious you’ve got a mismatch. apparently 150000 people a year in the UK put the wrong fuel in their cars every year and many receive massive bills as a result. It was just a thought I’d share . my excuse was I’ve been riding motorbikes a lot recently and had got in the habit of using unleaded 😳

djglover
    Free Member

Don’t some manufacturers make a hole only petrol or only diesel will go in. Frankly, looking for the black pump is easy enough for me though. Must be hard work being colour blind.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

wouldn’t you think a round hole for petrol and a square one for diesel would be easy enough?

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

My old 106 didn’t like the super unleaded nozels, never tried diesel nozel in it but I assume it wouldnt have fit cos it’s bigger than unleaded.. At my local tesco anyway. Philconsequence has made this mistake with his diesel, only realised as he was paying for a full tank of petrol. I think every time now “mine is definitely unleaded”

Coloured caps would be an additional help. Recovery services are a rip off in these circumstances

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Always thought people who put the wrong fuel in were muppets…. until I did it myself. Luckily it was only 28p of petrol in a diesel tank, my missus storming out of the car shouting abuse (thank god she noticed) stopped me in my tracks.

So, OP: good idea.

crankinirish
    Free Member

I did it once. Realised pretty quickly and stopped. I called the RAC and they told me to fill it right up with diesel and it probably would’nt do any harm. When I moved to the states I almost did it again as the petrol has a black pump and the diesel is green.

Northwind

There’s nothing that can be done that’ll stop it. A mate of mine put diesel in his Ducati motorbike. Twice :mrgreen:

mboy
    Free Member

There’s nothing that can be done that’ll stop it. A mate of mine put diesel in his Ducati motorbike. Twice

Genius! I know someone that’s done the same with theirs too (not me I might add).

At least with a motorbike, it’s only 15 litres or so of wasted fuel, and its much easier to drain out yourself.

FWIW, unless you’ve got a brand spanking new, mega high pressure common rail diesel engine, a tiny bit of petrol in the mix won’t hurt it really. Back in years gone by, when diesels were less sophisticated, to stop the fuel becoming too thick (this was before lots of additives) in winter, it was recommended to pop a bit of petrol in with your tank of diesel to act as a thinner anyway.

TiRed

Frankly, looking for the black pump is easy enough for me though.

Diesel pumps are green in the US. Hire cars are petrol 🙄

Just a warning…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t you just look at the “diesel” or “unleaded” sign above the pump handle? And all of my cars have a little bit of text in the flap that says what it is.

wrightyson
    Free Member

When the wife was 7 months pregnant (baby brain) she managed to put £20 of petrol in our diesel motor, realised mistake and phoned me crying. Reason she was so upset was not because of the mistake but because the witch in the kiosk gave her a bollocking for blocking the forecourt and told her to push it out of the way 😯

falkirk-mark

I was once loading a ship with superunleaded (400 tonnes)and when he had been loading for about an hour I asked him why he had not gave me 10 minutes notice for stopping. he explained he was on the normal unleaded parcel.(oh how i laughed)

donsimon
    Free Member

In all my years as a driver, I’ve never confused nozzles.
    I must be AWESOME, no?

jon1973
    Free Member

wouldn’t you think a round hole for petrol and a square one for diesel would be easy enough?

Any system would have to cater for existing cars otherwise there will be a lot of people who can’t fill up their tank.

crispo
    Free Member

Are the nozzles not different sizes anyway? As mentioned earlier car manufacturers now make the hole for fuel different sizes so you cant put the wrong fuel in. My car will only let me put a diesel nozzle in anyway.

get all car manufacturers to colour the area under the cap…

Or perhaps take some responsibility for yourself and not expect the car maker to do everything for you. 😛

totalshell

it does happen but it is not common by any means I used to have a petrol station doing about 275000 litres a week (Thats a lot 16 pumps 3 staff) and we only had a couple a month do it.

spekkie
    Free Member

aka_Gilo – I’m sure she soon forgot about it and never mentioned it again . . . not

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Colour coding the petrol cap would be great but wouldn’t make any difference if you buy an Alfa Romeo. My diesel 159 has a fuel cap with UNLEADED written all over it!

It’s only a matter of time before the wife whacks a tank full of petrol in it . . .

MartinGT
    Free Member

Youll be asking them to pump the fuel in for you next 😉

I did it to mine once, but only got £5 worth in and then I realised what a numpty.

Topped it up with diesal and no worries at all, I think if its t’other way round, youre fubar!

Xylene
    Free Member

Youll be asking them to pump the fuel in for you next

Having spent several years living in countries where people did this for you. I returned to teh UK and took mrsq and I up to scotland on holiday. We were in Mallaig and i needed fuel. Stopped at the petrol station, and waited, nobody came, started to get a bit irrate, when there was a tap at the window, lady asked me if I was lost.
    I told her I wanted 50 quid of petrol and opened the boot.
    She looked blankly at me and said something about me filling it up. At which point I got quite embarrassed and realised that it was self service in the UK.
    We really do need some Burmese refugees over here to operate the pumps to save one getting out of their car

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Instead of colour coding it how about they write what fuel it is on the nozzle holder and and then when you pick the nozzle up a little indicator on the screen tells you what fuel you have selected.

Oh…

jon1973
    Free Member

My diesel 159 has a fuel cap with UNLEADED written all over it!

It’s only a matter of time before the wife whacks a tank full of petrol in it . . .

I suspect that fuel cap wasn’t factory fitted. Why don’t you just change the cap, or are you just going to shout at your wife when she puts petrol in it? 😉

Woody
    Free Member

it does happen but it is not common by any means

…….you wouldn’t believe how much it costs the ambulance service every year 😯

kaiser
    Free Member

I think some people may have missed the point a bit. I’ve been driving/riding for 35 yrs and never done it before ( fortunately stopped at 36p worth 😀 . I was in autopilot as mentioned ..recently been filling motorbikes so the hand picked up the unleaded . A little writing on the cap is fairly useless if you don’t read it which most of us don’t however…we do have to make a conscious effort to get the nozzle in the hole ( ooerrr missus) and I think it’s at this point if the hole was flourescent orange and the nozzle flourescent orange then the brain would register something was wrong and ring the alarm bells. Colouring the cap itself wouldn’t work cos you remove it beforehand. To all the perfect peole who think it’s only women /idiots who do it ..maybe your time will come :mrgreen:
    midlandtrailquestgraham ..I’ll do my filler hole if you’ll do all the nozzles nationwide!
    think I might fit a “fuelsure” now

ebygomm
    Free Member

The ambulance service aren’t the only ones

Mis-fuelling of motor vehicles

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve done it! Almost full tank of petrol into a new common rail diesel engine. Drove home ok, started very lumpily the next morning.

I have a new respect for the cars ECU since it recognised something was up and shut the engine off to prevent any damage.

I didn’t have anywhere to work on the car, and tbh i’m not sure what i would have done with 50 litres of contaminated petrol so i just called the AA out. expensive mistake!

My excuse is the colour of the pumps was different as the garage had put in a some premium petrol/diesel.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

how about a pump that says “this is diesel” or “this is unleaded” repeatedly when you lift the nozzle, until you start pumping.

kaiser
    Free Member

it would drive you mad …imagine 10 of them all yapping at once …be worse than a hen party!

tonyg2003

Running a petrol and a diesel at the same time as we do is a increasing the odds of this happening, so I bought one of the “saftey” fuel fillers for the diesel. This means that only the larger diesel nozzle will release the cap. You do have to wear the gloves and then remove the cap from the nozzle before you can fill up which is a bit messy. However for the peice of mind – it was £30 well spent.

“I’ll do my filler hole if you’ll do all the nozzles nationwide”

Aren’t all filler nozzles colour coded already ?
    Genuine question, I run my Land Rover on LPG where it’s impossible to make a mistake.
    I bought 5 litres of unleaded for the chainsaw recently and just looked for the green marked pump and nozzle.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m a bit paranoid about it since I have one petrol car and one diesel.

Also, with my first car I half filled it with diesel for some odd reason despite never having owned or driven a diesel before then. I only noticed because something smelled wrong.

I siphoned it out myself in the car park just down from the garage. The ignominy of having to pay for half a tank of diesel smarted a bit.

Re the nozzle sizes, diesel is bigger than petrol. Which means that a diesel nozzle won’t fit in (modern!) petrol cars but petrol will clearly fit in diesel, as above.

Btw in Oregon you’re not allowed to fill your own car with fuel at a ‘gas station’. It was very weird having someone jump out and serve me as I was getting out of the car – I didn’t know it was full service and because I was on out of state plates I suspect he knew I didn’t know.

tonyg2003

Molgrips there are a few US states that don’t let you fill up your car for “safety” reasons. I was at a gas station in New Jersey state last year and the station attendent was smoking whilst filling up. “Safety”!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’m going LPG next

Rich
    Free Member

I have never done this, but I do check about 4 times before I start pumping the fuel that it is the right one.

Almost to the point I worry about having OCD! 😆

kaiser
    Free Member

MTG ..Its’ the actual nozzle/nose/proboscis I want coloured not the handle.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My car doesn’t have a filler cap; it’s F1 stylee built into the door. However, the engine is a constant and noisy reminder that it should have diesel in it.

My other car takes super unleaded. Lots of it. Never had the urge to put the black stuff in there.

crispo
    Free Member

Re the nozzle sizes, diesel is bigger than petrol. Which means that a diesel nozzle won’t fit in (modern!) petrol cars but petrol will clearly fit in diesel, as above.

I have a 118d and it wont take a petrol pump. You can place the nozzel in but it just wont take any fuel.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a 118d and it wont take a petrol pump. You can place the nozzel in but it just wont take any fuel.

How’s that work then? Must be a flap down there that closes or something.

OK, I get you now. I only use petrol or diesel pumps about once every 6 months, so I’m not that familiar with them.
    The nozzle its self is just plain aluminium isn’t it ? I guess any paint on there would get chipped off and end up in people’s fuel tanks where it would block the filter.
    They’ve got a coloured plastic cover, although most of that is taken up by a advertising space.

Crispo, how does that work then ?
    I was thinking maybe some sort of electronic key fixed to the car and the pump would be a good idea, with no problems with backwards compatibility like you’d get with odd shaped nozzles. Has someone beat me to it and already fitted it to your car ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Put a tad of petrol in my diesel yesterday by accident and thought why not……’ is closed to new replies.