Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PUSHed Pike Classics or new forks
  • qtip

I’m looking to upgrade the forks on my 2010 Orange 5, which are currently Pike 454 U-Turns.

I was originally thinking of getting them PUSHed, but it seems TFTuned are no longer doing this for Rock Shox – does anywhere else do them or have I missed the boat on this option?

The other option is to replace the forks, but I’m limited to a 1 1/8″ straight steerer, which gives me few options. I’m considering a set of Dual Position Lyriks, but I imagine the 160mm setting will rarely get used as I think it would screw up the handling on anything other than steep downhills. So, I’d end up having 10mm less fork travel (roughly the same axle to crown measurement though) and heavyish forks (although still marginally lighter than the current Pikes).

Any suggestions?

qtip

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air is an option, but too flexy?

antennae
    Free Member

I was in the same situation and ended up with a pair of Revs. Pretty hefty weight saving to be had (old 454 is about 2100g, new Revelation RCT3 is 1600g-ish).

qtip

How do you find them?

antennae
    Free Member

Thumbs up from me. I was concerned they might be a bit flexy too (tried a Fox 32 for a while and it never felt stiff/burly enough), but they’re pretty confidence inspiring and I’ve been happily clattering down the Peaks/Quantocks rocky stuff on them.

A couple of mates run the Lyrik and (weight aside) have nothing but praise, so I reckon you’d end up with a big improvement over your original fork either way.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have a look for some 140mm Argyle RCTs. 26″ straight steerer 20 mm axle shade over 2 kg. Was looking for a Pike classic replacement and am well pleased with them. Huge range of adjustment, lovely forks last of a dying breed

BadlyWiredDog

Your other option might be to talk to someone like LoCo about fitting a Dual Flow rebound damper from another fork, maybe a Revelation. It’s very similar to the Push upgrade and makes the forks much nicer over repeated high speed stuff, like hammering through rocky things in the Peak.

You could also fit an RCT3 compression damper which would help on the compression side. Obviously the fork would still be a little bit heavy, but if it’s in good nick otherwise it might make sense.

I’m still running some old Pushed Pike Air U-Turns on one of my bikes and they do work really well. Not as super plush and supple all round as the new Pikes, but great on faster stuff where they used to occasionally get overwhelmed.

So you might have missed the bus on the Push upgrades, but you can still improve your current fork if you want to. Or maybe get a basic modern RS fork like a Sektor with a 1 1/8 steerer then do the same thing to that.

Northwind

How hard does it really get used? A Revelation’s not quite as stiff as a Pike but most folks won’t find them flexy- with the 15 or 20mm axle they’re almost as stiff as a Fox 34 frinstance.

Lyrik is a great fork, it really is just a scaled down dh fork but that’s got its good and bad. I just replaced mine with a set of posh new Pikes and you know what? Disappointing. Tons lighter but otherwise not in the same league. Unfair contest, coil vs air and fettled vs factory standard but still.

solamanda
    Free Member

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 is a good choice. I hired a bike to ride some (rad) trails in Whistler for 3 days and I thought there were better than the 34s on my bike at home. Barely felt any flex that was undesirable and the dampening was frankly amazing for all aspects.

qtip

Cheers guys. Looking like I’ll go for the Revs.

qtip

Revs ordered 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

keep the receipt!

qtip

Why do you say that rocketman? Haven’t heard of any reliability issues and nobody above, including yourself, has said that they’re no good – couldn’t find any bad reviews online or in mags either. Oh well, given my limited options due to steerer compatibility, I’m fairly confident I’ve made the right choice.

rocketman
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong they’re fine forks but the sublime internals write cheques the chassis can’t cash. Have had two pairs straight/tapered/QR/20mm and imo they’re too noodly for the travel

Fine around the carpark and doubletrack/moorland etc but they’re light for a reason

qtip

Oh well, we shall see. The flexiness is my one concern, but having weighed up the options available to me, I think the Rev is the best compromise. If they turn out to be too flexy then they can go on the hardtail and the Pikes can go back on.

mildred

I’m 15 stone and don’t find them flexy in the least. That said, mine are 2010 teams with 20mm axle.

Northwind

rocketman – Member

Fine around the carpark and doubletrack/moorland

Into which of these 2 categories does fort william dh come into, I’m not sure 😉

Speeder

thinking of getting them PUSHed, but it seems TFTuned are no longer doing this for Rock Shox

WHAAAT!? Was hoping to get my Boxxers done at some point but checking the website there’s just an enigmatic

“Rockshox – We can no longer PUSH-tune RockShox forks”

What’s that all about then? Looking at PUSH’s website they’re not listing anything but old 32mm single crowns. I don’t get it, while Fox forks obviously need all the help they can get surely the RS mods were well thought of and pretty successful. What happened?

warpcow
    Free Member

I went from Pikes to Sektors (1 1/8″, 20mm so same as Pikes) and noticed only a tiny tiny increase in fore and aft flex when braking or charging through fast repeated hits. It’s definitely not enough for me to worry about andntbh I probably only thought about it because I was running a Magura Wotan on the other bike at the time (which made most forks look like wet spaghetti).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PUSHed Pike Classics or new forks’ is closed to new replies.