Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Push tuning – is it worth it?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Considering having my Fox DPS rear shock push tuned.
    Will it make enough of a difference to justify the cost?
    Any one pushed their shock recommend it?

andymc06
    Free Member

I had an RP23 push tuned. Made a massive difference to my Nomad. You need to know what you want though. I asked for it to be plush in open mode but a firmer pedal platform in closed mode. They did exactly as I asked! Well worth it in my opinion as they will set up the shock for your weight and bike too.

Northwind

It’ll depend partly on how appropriate your tune is- I had an old RP23 PUSH’d, but it was already pretty well set up so the difference wasn’t massive. If I’d had the previous shock done it’d have felt like a much bigger difference as the tune was all to cock too.

I did like it but it wasn’t worth the expense, for me. Better but not enough better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve never been that impressed. Had a dhx 5.0c done and felt like it made no difference. Had an avalanche upgrade and it became the best shock I’d ever had. Their Turner pivot bushes lasted about 1/10 as long as originals and customer response was poor. I doubt I’ll use them for anything again.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Basically what northwind said. Plus, it’s reasonably cost effective if your shock needs a service anyway.

It transformed the feel of my 2005 HL 5 spot from riding like a dog dragging it’s arse on the ground to an excellent trail bike.

After three years on a DW Sultan I’ve just had it pushed, but the suspension kinematics are generally superior on the DW and it’s harder to tell if it’s made a difference.

Their polymer bushes were surprisingly short lived, although they did more better, I’ve made just as much a difference by honing the pivot bore in the frame to remove the ano ‘over-spill’

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have had both an RP23 and CTD rear shocks Push tuned. In both cases though it was less to tune the shock and more an attempt to make them work like they were supposed to do from the beginning i.e. make the pro pedal lever actually do…something!

Both times they ripped out the Boost valve (which according to them is a load of crap and unreliable – mine was broken both times apparently) and replaced with there own internals.

Bottom line – it worked – I now have descent compression damping for climbing and the bikes don’t bob up and down any more.

Whether or not the shock behaves better in the open setting I cant really tell to be honest, it seemed fine to begin with. But then I am not particularly sensitive to subtle differences in suspension characteristics….if such things really exist

xyeti
    Free Member

I had my Float X Pushed on my Nomad last year and it sat the bike up better in all areas, It climbs better rides better and descending it just feels more solid, less top out when hitting kickers and plusher in the mid stroke, it requires less air volume now than before not that this makes any difference.

I didn’t actually know what I needed so put a note in the box for the techy to ring me which he did, Murray “The Techy” rang me and we spoke about riding, where, how, when and how heavy, what’s the bike doing now etc,

Before it seemed to pack down on impact but now it’s much better, firmer, I think he used words like bump compliance beginning mid and end stroke,,,,,,,, whatever he did it works and feels like a different bike,

poah
    Free Member

dont think there is a push tune for the DPS shocks yet only RP and CTD series (non-evolution)

chakaping
    Free Member

Your shock should be really good.

What’s it doing that you don’t like? Or how do you think it could be better? And what bike is it on?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had an old Van RC Push tuned and it turned it from an OK shock to a very, very good shock. It seemed to work well with my Big Hit.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had an old Van RC Push tuned and it turned it from an OK shock to a very, very good shock. It seemed to work well with my Big Hit.

I also had the best results on a Van RC. Could feel it tracking the ground so much better afterwards.

Less noticeable effect on more recent Fox air shocks though TBH.

zelak999
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Your shock should be really good.
    What’s it doing that you don’t like? Or how do you think it could be better? And what bike is it on?

Its on a 5010 V2.
    When i first got it i set it up to 30% sag etc but it never seemed to use all of the travel. I’m no ratboy but i’d of thought it would use most of it on 4ft drops etc. I tried less pressure but ended up with about 50% sag in order to use all of the travel.
    I sent i back to Mojo for them to take a look potentially under warranty and they reckoned its a light tune so did a medium tune on it for me.
    Its come back and the ride just feels a bit lifeless now and still doesnt use all of the travel unless you set it to about 50% sag.(same as before).
    SC US reckon the tune is custom specced for the frame etc, its extra light compression tune and a light rebound tune with 0.8 volume spacer.
    Mojo say they have done a medium compression tune, a firm climb tune and a medium rebound tune with 500 psi of nitrogen in the IFP chamber.
    They have also fitted a 0.8 volume spacer.

My last bike was a Blur LTc with a Kashima RP23 and it was nice a supple with good mid range support and used all the travel on the bigger hits.
    Maybe the DPS is just different and i need to get used to it?

I’m thinking i should of kept the light tune as Santa Cruz intended as it was more poppy plus i dont really want to drop £180 on getting a new shock to feel good!

zippykona

I had my rp23 Pushed. It wasn’t until I put one of those spacers in my shock that I was totally happy with it.
    Spacers are cheap.

poah
    Free Member

take the spacer out – don’t see why mojo would increase compression if the low compression wasn’t getting full travel. also remember you should only be getting full travel on the biggest hits.

rudedog
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fox factory CDT which I’m pretty underwhelmed with, how much is a push tune?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Being a fatty at 14st, I stuck with the small volume air sleeve anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

As it’s a newly launched bike I wouldn’t expect TF to be intimately knowledgeable about tweaking shocks for it yet, so personally I wouldn’t splash out for the Push tune.

You might just be replacing one sophisticated damping system which isn’t well suited to the frame with another.

Might be worth seeing what SC HQ have to say on the subject? Or try a really adjustable shock like a CCDB Inline or DBair?

zelak999
    Free Member

poah – Member
    take the spacer out – don’t see why mojo would increase compression if the low compression wasn’t getting full travel. also remember you should only be getting full travel on the biggest hits.

Is this as easy as it sounds in the vids? Take air out, unscrew can and remove the spacer?

zelak999
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    As it’s a newly launched bike I wouldn’t expect TF to be intimately knowledgeable about tweaking shocks for it yet, so personally I wouldn’t splash out for the Push tune.

You might just be replacing one sophisticated damping system which isn’t well suited to the frame with another.
    Yeah i think you could be right, im wishing id kept the original tune now…. Reckon if i remove the 0.8mm volume spacer i’d get more travel out of it?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I really rate the PUSH tune. I had a Fox CTD from 2013, which I was never really happy with. Despite fitting the biggest spacer and messing around with sag I still found it used the travel way too easily and was very unsupportive. Also if I wanted to load the suspension for a jump, there was very little “pop” in the rebound and the bike tended to just soak up my efforts to use the suspension to my advantage.

I explained all this to TFTuned and they sent back a shock that addressed all these problems. The shock needed a service so I thought it was pretty cost effective too. I wish I’d done it sooner to be honest.

Hats off to their customer service too. Top notch.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is this as easy as it sounds in the vids? Take air out, unscrew can and remove the spacer?

Yes, it is that easy, but you do need to be careful not to introduce contaminants at this point (*ahem*) 😳

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fox factory CDT which I’m pretty underwhelmed with, how much is a push tune?

Click here

zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone know if the 0.8 spacer is small, medium or large from the available kit?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it possible to have a shock tuned without having it “push’d” you know. Maybe a good tuner could help it without a push kit.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Onzadog yes. I’m sure Mojo or the other one whose name escapes me (I think he’s called Simon and is on here) may be able to work some magic. The thing to note is that if your shock is due for a service – and you wouldn’t normally do this yourself – the PUSH tune is reasonable value.

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s had it re-tuned by Mojo already Onzadog.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of retunes from mojo over the years, I’ve never been that impressed really. They’re working with the limitations of stock parts.

Push tune is more than just a re-tune of a washer stack, which people seem to miss. You get a new piston body with more sophisticated ports, plus higher quality glide rings and seals than factory standard.

It’s surprising when you get the olde parts back how rudimentary the factory plastic piston is.

rudedog
    Free Member

Click here

£150, yowsers – think that puts that one to bed then 🙁

cardo

Recently had my RP23 shock Push tuned and serviced by TF.. the results are very pleasing, it’s lost that wallow in the mid stroke and tracks the ground much better. Glad I had it done and TF’s service was excellent from start to finish.

joolsburger
    Free Member

RP23 I had done as I’m a big chap. No more constant bottom outs, platform that works, much better ride all round. 9/10 would Push again.

kimbers

Not had push but had a dhx air done by Avalanche, and it’s great

Bit of a pain and expense getting it done in the USA but I’d do it again

poah
    Free Member

£150, yowsers – think that puts that one to bed then

that includes a service though.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have an rp23 coming back tomorrow from tf 😀 service and push tune for a 5010. Their service really has been stellar, I only posted it yesterday afternoon!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Push tuning – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.