Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PUSH – make any difference? Worth doing?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Got a Fox Float CTD on a Canyon Spectral which I’ve not really got on with it. Had loads of problems with basically no support and running through its travel at any opportunity.

Been looking at getting either a Monarch Plus Debonair or a CCDB Inline to replace it.

I phoned up TF Tuned earlier today and had a great chat to the guy on the end of the phone who seemed very knowledgeable and he said if I have a Float CTD I should PUSH it. Apparently this gives it more platform and tunes it to me, my bike and my riding style.

I’m sort of tempted – has anyone done this and found it does have a massive impact?

I’ve seen a few posts on here where it seems a lot of people do rate it. I suppose I’ve become a Fox un-fan

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly that with my Commencal Meta SL. Before the tune i almost got rid of the bike, it was that bad. I either has to set the shock up for small bump sensitivity or for big impacts. The shock couldn’t handle both, despite trying to tune it myself with volume reducers.

After Pushing the shock, it made a massive difference. I can’t recommend the Push tune highly enough.

rickon
    Free Member

How much do you weigh? Based on your comments I’d be looking to up the air pressure, or reduce the volume.

Tuning it for higher compression damping would be the next step, but is vastly more expensive than the two first steps.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I run a 2013 ctd bv with trail adjust. As stock it was crapper than a crap thing and worse than the crap triad it replaced. Was very disappointed…… Sent it back to tf tuned who push tuned it under warranty & they are great,which completely transformed it.
    The stock was too soft, platform was rubbish and constantly blowing through travel. The ctd lever did nothing.
    After push tuning, the shock is much firmer, platform works brilliantly. I went for a slightly firmer compression tune as I ride mainly fast xc but when pointing down in the D position the shock becomes very active and so long as you get pressure set correctly, bottoms out only on the biggest of whacks.
    Push it (or loco it) would be my advice. These stock tunes have to compromise for a huge range of bike frame / pivot designs. A rear

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Paul – that’s my issue – Getting so many pedal strikes in corners from the travel wallowing and bottom it out most rides – add more air and it feels harsh on the small stuff but still goes through the travel too much. Sent it to TF Tuned about a year ago and they changed the volume and adjusted some ports internally better – but still not great. Compared to my Vip’r it is a poor bogan cousin.

Rickon – I’m about 90kgs with all my kit. Tweaked the air pressure and reduced the volume – see above. My mate is a suspension tinkerer and he hasn’t been able to get it to hit the sweet spot yet.

The CTD lever is rubbish!

legend
    Free Member

Push it (or loco it)

Not the same thing. Loco will customise the shim stack and the like, PUSH replace a load of internals (varies between models of shock) and do a customer tune on top.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Also pretty tempted to give one of these a go…. Been a few threads on here with positive results:
    http://vorsprungsuspension.com/products/vorsprung-corset-air-sleeve

renton
    Free Member

I had the same with the ctd shock on my trance.

Mojo tuned it for £40 and it made a world of difference once I’d got used to it.

legend
    Free Member

doncorleoni – Member
    Also pretty tempted to give one of these a go…. Been a few threads on here with positive results:
    http://vorsprungsuspension.com/products/vorsprung-corset-air-sleeve
    POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Worth a read here, all is not necessarily as straight forward as hoped: http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/dessous-by-vorsprung-suspension.271811/

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Bush, definitely get it pushed. I’m the same weight as you too so it’s not a weight thing. It totally transformed my bike TBH.

The CTD lever on mine was rubbish too so I had a chat with TFT and told then how i’d like it to feel in each position. I’m not a suspension expert but some basic comments to them were enough. For example, I didn’t want the climb position to be totally locked out but still with a little give.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m tempted to try it out – you hear of some many people buying shocks off the net and then having to tune them. THat was the reason for going to TF Tuned was so they could tune the shock I was going to buy.

sharkattack

I had a Stumpy Evo in 2011 that felt like a waterbed. It certainly didn’t live up to the rave reviews it was getting in the press. Sent the shock to Mojo who gave it a ‘high velocity tune’ whatever that entails and it transformed the bike. To this day I regret selling it.

stevied
    Free Member

Push tune worked brilliantly on my CTD. Climb is like a hardtail (but frees up on hits), trail is very good and descend is better than the tuned coil I had before.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Oooooh, I think I’m booking it in…

phy7tes
    Free Member

I also have a Spectral (29er) and have the same issues with the shock. I’ve added quite a bit more pressure but it still bottoms out on smallish drops and this is in trail mode. I don’t even dare use descent!

I was hoping that a volume reducer would sort this out. Did it help at all?

I’m not overwhelmed by the performance of the Fox 32 FIT fork on the bike either. Love the bike but feel that better bouncy bits would make it even more betterer!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tell me about it – bike is awesome but let down by the toothpick forks and the shock – interesting to see most this year have Cane Creek DBInline or RS Mon+ spec’d. The volume reducer “helped” slightly – but still not overly happy – worth a try though.

On the forks I’ve got some Marzocchi 350ncr’s coming my way – can’t wait!

poah
    Free Member

note you can’t push the evolution model of CTD – best to junk that peice of crap

Bushwacked
    Free Member

“Luckily” I’ve got a Performance shock.

Part of me wonders if I’m polishing a turd going down this route.

poah
    Free Member

probably ha ha ha ha ha ha buy a cane creek instead

Mbnut
    Free Member

I had a ’13 CTD Pushed…. I am 95Kg in my kit.

Before Pushing I tried the volume spacers, they have an effect but never came close to compensating for the inherent flaws.

The Push tune had a transforming effect, I asked for sensitivity around the sag point to give good traction over wet roots of which we have plenty, control through the mid stroke and a moderately firm ramp up at the end, I like to use full travel but I like it controlled.

I wanted the suspension to remain active when climbing as grip is important to me over outright efficiently.

I got all of the above, performance is now very good.

It is not as good as the CCDBAcs I have on my bigger bike which is excellent.

I also had ’13 Fox 34 forks that were quite frankly dangerous…. couldn’t trust them at all, bit the bullet and had the full Push on them, CTD gone and high low compression adjustment back in plus tokens etc…. wow… fantastic fork now, so good that the frame is going and the shock is going on my sons bike and the fork has just had a HT frame bought for it just to give it a home as it is now so good.

Regarding CCDB Inline there was an issue re weight of rider, not sure if that is sorted now.

psycorp
    Free Member

Regarding the CCDBA inline the recommendation was that anyone around 14st or above shouldn’t buy one. Not sure if this is still the case as that was around 6 months ago.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Same as what I heard on the Inline.

poah
    Free Member

depends on the bike too. high leverage ratio bikes makes it worse.

letmetalktomark

I’ve just completed a Trance XO 29er build and despite not having properly ridden it the shock feels a bit …. Meh.

I think it’s a Evolution model CTD so based on the above I’m borked 🙁

Despite running the necessary pressure for my weight and sag the shock blows through its travel on the mildest of bumps.

That said it may be because I’m 100kg 🙁

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PUSH – make any difference? Worth doing?’ is closed to new replies.