Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • push fit stop ends
  • Premier Icon Pook

we’ve had some pipes in our old bathroom stopped off today but heard one ‘hissing’. 22mm push fit stop end on copper pipe.

I’ve had a look and it’s seeping a bit. Turning it brings out a flood but lessens/increases depending on what way i turn it

How do I sort it? Or do I get the plumber back?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

If they are push fit, push on really hard after turning off the water and running a tap to lesson pressure.

And call the plumber.

Premier Icon DT78
    Free Member

what type? I’ve used quite a few speedfits and they have been perfect every time.

Try pushing it on a bit harder. Don’t twist it.

at a guess Maybe plumber hasn’t cut the pipe end square or it was dented slightly so isn’t sealing, which will mean little bit of pipe has to be removed so the pushfit seals ok.

Premier Icon Pook
    Premier Icon BearBack
    Free Member

i use a similar style removeable ‘sharkbite’ cap. you have to push them on then give the a tug back away from the pipe otherwise the release collar can remain engaged. (edit..i suppose the water pressure would do the same)
    However if your pipes weren’t deburred then you may have knicked a seal.

Premier Icon Bear
    Free Member

Or it may be on a piece of imperial pipe…..

Premier Icon kayak23

P-Push it real good?

Premier Icon DT78
    Free Member

If it’s speed fit it has a second little internal collar thingy which if it is on right should not be flush to the rest of the stopend.

If you fancy taking a look at the pipe, isolate the pipe, then you should be able to remove by grabbing the collar and pulling the collar (not the main body) firmly in line with the pipe, failing that get an adjustable spanner set at the width of the pipe and slide it along giving the collar a tap.

Then check the pipe for damage it should be round, square and smooth if prep,d right.

This type of problem by professionals I’ve paid is why I do stuff myself now

Premier Icon slackalice

This type of problem by professionals I’ve paid is why I do stuff myself now

Really? 🙄 It must be exciting not allowing any mistakes in your world.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Really?

Tbf, I’ve basically given up on plumbers other than for gas work. Over 10 years we’ve lost two ceilings and had two more leaks following plumbing work by ‘professionals’. The thing is, electrical work trips out with no damage done. Water, however little, can wreck the place.
    I find plumbing utterly frustrating as there are so many standards, non-standard fittings and just generally a pain…

Premier Icon singlesman
    Free Member

Not sure it’s ever a good idea to leave push-fit stop ends as a permanent fix, seen too many fail, get some compression stop ends if you don’t solder.
    If they are just temporary has someone used 22mm fittings on old 3/4” pipe? That never ends well.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Use them all the time att work. If twisting seals it it could be coming unscrewed. Could be wrong size but unlikely. More likely ding on the copper or a burr letting a weep past.
    Got any vasaline, remove, lube the use the push pull technique.
    Tbh long term you really need compression fittings or solder on an end cap, especially if it’s under the floor

Premier Icon Pook

He’s back soldering today. He’s also agreed to replaster the downstairs ceiling and wall…

Yep, it had been going all day and said hello at about 9.30pm.

Premier Icon Pook

Problem: metric push fit used on imperial pipe.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Or it may be on a piece of imperial pipe…..

Problem: metric push fit used on imperial pipe.

Was going to say, I had exactly the same problem at my father in laws house, needed a compression fitting as it’s a bawhair under-sized. Thankfully his wasn’t as bad as yours sounds!

Premier Icon BigJohn

I don’t get called in to do much plumbing work but I always keep a couple of three-quarters to 22mm adapters in my bag just in case.
    But it’s Speedfit and plastic all the way for me. After my local independent plumber’s merchant told me to “get with the now, grandad”. I even have plastic going straight to my radiators at home. Much neater.

Premier Icon tjagain

My preference is always for soldered copper. I certainly would never use push fit stop ends as a permanent solution. there is no push fit fittings anywhere in either of the flats I own.

However it is very difficult to solder on pipes that have been in use ie have water in them. In that case its a compression fitting

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I used the stop ends for a good year when our extension build went on pause. No problems at all, my whole house is plastic barring tails and take offs for the shower and boiler. Absolutely no reason not to use it IMO; it’s cheaper, faster and easier with less opportunities to make an arse of it (unless you fail to properly insert the coupling).

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

getting with it grandad appears to be the case.

redid my house in JG speedfit barring the boiler tails and the vertical on show pipes between upstairs and down.

nae issues

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.