Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • PUSH ACS Coil conversion
  • duir
    Free Member

Anyone converted a Fox 36 RC2 to Coil using the PUSH ACS Couil conversion kit?

Worth it? Lots better? Reliability?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Nice conversion but a lot of £££££ Looked at a Luftkappe?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

It’s a lot smoother off the top than ANY air fork I’ve tried…especially after a few months of riding….it stays smoother for longer, reacts a bit better to repeated braking bumps, harder to tune but if you can be arsed messing about with springs….pays off….because of the independent dual rate spring system…. similar to what rally cars and baja trucks have….main spring  for setting ride height….secondary spring for bottom out force….latter spring doesnt effect tge former…and is 300g heavier than your air setup….and shitting expensive.

You will end up with the best fork on the market bar an ACS3 Grip 2 fork…..and you’ll pay a lot of money for that last 5 percent of performance.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Looks great. It’s not cheap but there is alot more to it than the coil conversion Pike kit I got for my Pikes – which is brilliant and has converted me into a ‘coil lover’, and that came in at about half the price I think…so the additional cost of this might be worth it…at the end of the day it will be like buying a brand new fork and they cost alot more than this conversion.

One thing about Push is they seem to be the real deal. I had my previous Fox CTD shock rebuilt with Push internals and it was a significant improvement and I’ve often drooled over their rear shock, but it’s a tad pricey! so I think the claims they make for this coil conversion kit will deliver.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Yeah Scott, my ACS kit ended up even smootger than my coil Pikes ever were. Nit sure if thats the Kashima or the effort Push put into reducing coil bindand thus frictiin between the coil and inside if the stanchion.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Loving mine, forks much smoother, especially small bump and chatter sensitivity.    I’m right between two spring weights so if I went to anywhere really lumpy I’d need the heavier spring.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’m right on the border of the blue and green, I’m running the Green spring which gives me 21 percent sag and 10 psi in the bottom out spring (which governs the last third of travel) which leaves me with about an inch left over on a typical red descent….which is what I want.

The green spring is supple enough for me off the top, if I was running the softer blue spring Ming – I’d consider running the new Grip 2 damper, bumping the air spring up to 30+ psi, stiffen the high speed rebound damping and run the low speed rebound quite fast so the softer spring didn’t pack down as much.

lungman

I have had the 36’s pushed for rebound for about a yr which made the compression damping brilliant and fitted the AC3 about 3 months ago. As mention above the small bump compliance is amazing and the top out/progression works really well to change the linear nature of the coli spring so an amazing fork now but more push than fox!!!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Tbh, unless you arr well outside the 75kg average that Fox seem to base their tunes on, the RC2 stock damper is great once you coil it. It feels overdamped because of the considerable frictiion in the iFox air assay, at 6 clicksof LSC and 6 clicks of HSC it actually now feels on the underdamped side.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

null

How are we all getting on hmm? I’m looking at getting this done in March but wondering if i should wait for the Vorsprung smashpot thingie, if it ever comes out…. Still think its a worthwhile upgrade?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Still think it’s worthwhile but I think Vorsprungs will be even better, 10 coils to choose from and a secondary adjustable bypass damper, like rally cars and Baja trucks? Ever wondered how the suspension is so soft – but when the get sendy they don’t bottom out hard and they don’t bounce? Bypass dampers are the answer.

Means you get the bottom out resistance without the rebound kicking back at you. Which will also mean you can run your midstroke rebound quicker

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers, interesting. I presume that you choose a kit for a certain amount of travel and you are stuck with that? Want 150mm now but 160 in a year for a new build….

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Vorsprung kit is adjustable travel I believe.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Take my money Vorsprung!

poah
    Free Member

you can pre order if you are in the states/Canada. no word from TFtuned yet.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

by ‘here’ i mean Sweden. my ‘dealer’ (haha i love that use of the word) has said it is available to book in for a late feb. conversion

Littleman
    Free Member

Can anybody explain the difference between the push and the vorsprung bottom out systems please – I know the push system “kicks in” part way through the travel when the shaft hits the damper thing and the vorsprung seems to do its thing from the start of the travel but I’m struggling to understand the difference in how they work – aren’t they both just a hydraulic damper of sorts, so essentially the same thing executed differently?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

VorsprungSuspension (7 hours ago)
    The Push kit is a really good concept – coil performance for the first 2/3 of the travel with an adjustable anti-bottoming system. Fundamentally both the ACS and Smashpot pretty similar there, and with any given spring rate you’ll notice absolutely zero difference in performance during the first 2/3rds of so of the travel since a coil spring is a coil spring. Both have anti-bottoming systems which as a whole achieve a pretty similar thing.

However, the Smashpot is cheaper, has internally adjustable travel, goes to both longer AND shorter travel settings, has a wider range of spring rates available, is transferable between forks at a minimum of cost, has no components impacting one another mid travel, has no air seals to worry about, doesn’t need a shock pump to adjust and is guaranteed* to get you laid.

*eventually, probably.

The ability to change the travle is a big thing for me. I want to run 160-170mmm on the next bike i have planned at the end of this year, but want to get a full season at 150mmfirst

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The vorsprung is a position sensitive and speed sensitive damper that only kicks in, in the last 50mm of travel like the push ACS3.

That is where the similarities end, the PUSH conversion effects spring rate and creates a two stage spring. Meaning that the force of an impact is transmitted back to you during the rebound stage.

The vorsprung damper uses the same principles found on wrc and Baja dampers, the damping is position sensitive and bottom out control is governed by the hydraulics. Using dampers to do this means that bottom out control does not effect the rebound speed and means that rally cars can fling themselves of jumps and land in a nice pillowy fashion without the difficult to control rebound of two stage spring setups.

Steve mentions something similar in the pinkbike comments, but because he’s a terminally nice guy he doesn’t want to be a dick to PUSH.

I have the PUSH kit, it’s good but incredibly sensitive to minute changes in air pressure in terms of bottom out control and it also feels like a bit of a bodge compared to this kit. The vorsprung kit is giving you functionally similar technology to what is found in EXT mtb and rally car dampers.

Littleman
    Free Member

Thanks. Trying to get my head around it!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-rally-suspension-works-1750488986

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm

Springs store energy and return it, dampers dissipate it.

Let’s say I make my spring setup more progressive by adding more air, I then have to slow the rebound down to keep the end stroke under control. Well now I also have a slower rebounding midstroke and have possibly compromised the performance of the fork in the midstroke. Some shocks and dampers have high speed rebound adjustment, but on the CCDB and the DHX2 these are hardly independent from the low speed circuits and as Steve has explained in his tech Tuesday videos – essentially useless. Not sure about the GRIP 2 damper though.

Basically doing this hydraulically makes your optimum rebound settings easier to achieve as the rebound is linear.

mashr

Just had a very quick skim, is that a full length spring (ie no long rod)? If so I’d guess it’s the heaviest of the 3 approaches I’ve seen so far. Price point is likely to sit between TF/CRConception and Push too, which is interesting (and makes it very tempting)

raybanwomble
    Free Member

My Push conversion added 300 odd grams, so it won’t be much heavier.

Not that you should care if you are going coil.

I’ll be moving to this as my current bike is optimised around a 180mm fork.

mashr

Yep, that’s really the price. It was going to be $419.99 but the stickers pushed the price up by $0.70.

That’s it, i’m in.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

mine is ordered. The mechanic said ‘i admire your commitment’

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Oh wow, Steve just sent me an email directed to me personally to update me that the kit was now available and he’d ship it direct to me if I wanted otherwise kits are enroute to dealers.

Woot, the guy is crazy motivated!

Having.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s a coil party!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

#coilmasterace

mashr

Because i’m being impatient (and cheap). Thinking about a Yari conversion. Does the cheapo damper work any better/worse alongside the coil setup? Certainly coil Boxxers had no issue at all, but has it been tweaked to go with the air spring?

Wouldn’t mind saving £100+ and getting a setup without extra bottom out control of it’s not needed

ganic
    Free Member

If anyone is interested i have a Yari/Lyrik CRConception coil kit for 160mm conversion. I hadnt planned on selling it, but this thread made me think i probably should as its sat in a drawer since changing forks.

iolo
    Free Member

What’s the difference between a push coil Fox 36 from nowadays compared to a van 36 rc2 from 2006 (apart from tapered steerer)? Is it better or just shiny as it’s newer? Honest question as I really love my 2006 fork.

mashr

Ganic, what weight are you (and how much sag do you run)? Might be interested, but maybe not so much point if I need to go hunting for a replacement spring

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Grip 2 damper is quite a bit better, bit lighter even with the coil conversion, more bottom out control.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Do we know how much springs cost in case you buy the wrong one?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

TFtuned will usually let you swap it for free…

iolo
    Free Member

Grip 2 damper is quite a bit better, bit lighter even with the coil conversion, more bottom out control.

Ok. I get the lighter bit. Why is everything else better?
    I have high and low speed compression which is buttery smooth on the small stuff and it takes the big hits well. I never felt the need for more bottom out control.

mashr

Do we know how much springs cost in case you buy the wrong one?

$60(CAD) iirc. At a guess, £30-40 by the time they get here

ganic
    Free Member

Im 176lbs, but have two springs for the set up, one softer and a firmer spring, both Rockshox springs, sag can be adjusted with 2 inserts, but i ran it at around 15 – 20%

mashr

Sent you a PM rather than clogging up the thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘PUSH ACS Coil conversion’ is closed to new replies.