• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Puregym – any drawbacks?
  • hora
    Free Member

Thinking of doing the one month at a time subscription. Any good/bad experiences?

thepurist

I was a member of one for about 6 months, it was brand new when I started so all the kit was fine but the staff turnover was high, must’ve been 3 or 4 managers in that time and a lot of the other staff came and went too. But no hassle on leaving, no hassle while a member.

ekul
    Free Member

As above, staff turnover seems pretty high, I’ve been a member for about 18 months but rarely use it to be honest. The one in Preston is ridiculously busy at peak times, to the point of being unable to do anything structured and having to just jump on whatever’s free at the time. Well equipped though.

prawny

Ive used Pure gym and The Gym in the past, prefer The gym, mainly becuase its cheaper. Much less hassle than a regular gym, only real issue is some of them have a pretty poor free weights selection, but the Birmingham one is good so its not all of them.

jimmy

I was at PG for a year or so – the equipment is great but I only used the rowing machines, which are good for being concept2 but they are older models that don’t connect to HRMs so was hard to “train” properly on them. Otherwise I only went to classes but the times didn’t suit so well, except yoga which is all I ended up doing at all there. Eventually had to quit while off work which was a shame because the yoga classes were great (on the eye).

woffle
    Free Member

just signed up for the one nearest our office – 3 month deal then monthly charge. We’ll see how good it is but it’s just gone through a 500K refurb so hopefully it’s ok. Lots of classes which is good. I suspect it’ll be rammed though which is a bit of a PITA.

It has to be better than shelling out £150 a month that the next nearest one wants!

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m a member of Warrington North and to be honest it’s difficult to fault. It is very popular so there are times when it is busier than others. Avoid most weekday evenings (especially Monday) between 18:00 and 20:00 when it’s at its busiest. I tend to go post 20:00 and pre 07:00 and rarely have a problem accessing what I want. The 24/7 access is very useful. Friday evenings are dead so a good time to go. Faulty kit is repaired quickly and the manager has been there longer than me (almost 3 years). The staff are friendly and approachable.

If I had to pick a fault then it would be the lack of temperature adjustment on the showers. Bit of a pain when all you want is a cool shower and all that is available if hot.

footflaps

It has to be better than shelling out £150 a month that the next nearest one wants!

WTF!

Who / where?

hora
    Free Member

I’ll go post 8pm. I keep meaning to look in when it looks busy

binners

Can you not just cut out this denial stage, skip to the inevitable, and just go to one of the gay clubs in town?

Everyone knows anyway, you know? You might as well just come out….

And don’t forget…?

Coyote
    Free Member

Which one?

plyphon
    Free Member

Go to the Southampton one.

It’s cheap, and you get 3.5 hours free parking, which tbh if you go to town two/three times a month shopping / eating is worth the membership alone.

The gym has good equipment but gets seriously busy at peak times. There is a lack of squat racks (2), and no bench racks.

It’s empty on weekends and bank holidays. Can be empty during the day time also. We’ve been looking for alternatives for a while but at £18.99 with free parking it’s too good a deal, really.

mrchrispy

Hora!!! Are you going to turn into one ‘LOOOKATME’ types pumping iron in the window looking onto Chester Road??
    😀

jimmy

If I had to pick a fault then it would be the lack of temperature adjustment on the showers

good point. a cold shower would be useful sometimes, especially after aforementioned yoga.

binners

Mr Chrispy. Do people actually do that posing thing there, considering they’re next door to this? 😯

mrchrispy

Oh they do indeed.

We see then when waiting to turn right towards the ROC (republic of chorlton), the Kids and I particularly enjoy doing fart sounds when someone is doing squats.

woffle
    Free Member

WTF!

Who / where?

Third Space – Marylebone / Soho / City gyms. From £150 per month…

(to be fair in the City most places will work out 75 > 100 a month, dependent on corporate membership etc)

windydave13
    Free Member

Long live the “Drum” 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mZwy3P]The Drum – Stretford, Manchester[/url] by Kingsdude/Dave, on Flickr

binners

The Drum has been greatly improved now that you can get a sausage and egg Macmuffin there 😀

Did you ever go in there? It looked almost as terrifying as O Briens. The Gorse Hill before a match is as high risk as I’ll go with Stretford boozers

windydave13
    Free Member

haha. Sadly not. I was too young to even be brave enough to give it a go. The Nelson in Urmston was as brave as i got

hora
    Free Member

Haterz gunna hate. You left West Stretford binners. You could have been part of something ..hmmm great.

I’m going to work out and go for the Snake Pliskin look 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Puregym – any drawbacks?’ is closed to new replies.