Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?

Home Forum Chat Forum Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?
  • joe1983

Hora have you tried Taylor’s in Sale Moor, used to be really good, not used it for a while though. Failing that Nixon’s farm near Cheadle is excellent – they do bacon ribs mmmmmmmmm

TooTall

I really wonder how some people get through life – with challenges like being a sex addict and being unable to to find bacon.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Despite being a flat town filled with chavs and surrounded by a sea of barely rideable mud, in Doncaster we eat like kings, thanks to our brilliant meat, veg and fish markets. Here’s the pick of the butchers, they seem to have let bits of the website go to pot, but the meat is as good as ever.

Wilkinsons Butchers

Oh and if you fancy a change, how about a pie?

Topping’s Pies

Yummy, market day tomorrow.

grumm

Make your own as Conor says.

muslims pig hunting on bbc2 at the moment!!

mudshark

Find a decent local butcher.

I was very impressed with the bacon I bought from my local butcher – Ken Davey in Bookham. Completely different from even the best I’d bought from a supermarket. I don’t like to ask if it contains anything it shouldn’t as when I asked if there was a choice of turkeys to order, and that I wanted the best they sell, I was told that they only sell one sort and that they pluck them on the premises then hang in a purpose built turkey cold room for 2 weeks – was then asked ‘Is that good enough for you?’.

there eating pig now!!
    These guys in Turkey seem a bit more relaxed about it.

cuspidor

http://www.donaldrussell.com/c/ShopByCategory_Pork_Bacon.htm

Could do worse. I’ve had a few bits and pieces from this lot. Unfailingly delicious.

hora

I really wonder how some people get through life – with challenges like being a sex addict and being unable to to find bacon.
    and
    Make your own as Conor says.
    errrr….
    I’ve tried Taylors in Sale moor- I wasnt impressed.

Conor

Really, making bacon is child’s play. You just make up a dry cure, cure the joint for a few days, smoke if you want. Keep in the fridge for a month.

I’ve only done streaky/pancetta so far. Going to do a couple whole back/belly next. I have a farm shop near me that rear and butcher saddle back and glouster old spot pigs.

Premier Icon ChrisHeath
    Subscriber

I get bacon from Fenwicks in Newcastle, who’s butchers counter sells meat from these people:

http://www.northumbrian-organic-meat.co.uk/index.asp

Sliced to order, dry cured, organic, blah, blah, blah. Doesn’t taste like the general ‘bacon related product’ you generally get in plastic in supermarkets.

They mail order.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Hora. Go the Irish butchers on Wilbram Road in Chorlton. The one next to the fishmongers. I do every Saturday morning and stock up on ‘Proper’ bacon. They’re sausages are bloody gorgeous too

hora

binners, what shops etc is it near? Anyone else get the impression that ton is a nice and very helpful guy on the STW forum? (abit like Jedi) 🙂

specky4eyes

Woodall’s of Waberthwaite do “real” bacon. They also cure some wonderful hams and make very tasty sausage.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?’ is closed to new replies.