Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?

Home Forum Chat Forum Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?
  • hora

I dont beleive Butchers stock ‘pure’ Bacon. Well not the ones near me- one said his wasnt but I still got the water boiling out and another said he couldnt guarantee there wouldnt be some sort of preservatives (WTF).

Anywhere that sells (chain, anywhere) that sells unsullied Bacon????? I dont mind salt/cured but without Nitrate/natrates etc..

Robinson’s in Stockbridge, Test Valley way. Home to the best trout fishing in the land and the best butcher on earth.

andym

What about organic bacon?

hora

Bugger. too far, unless its viable to post foodstuffs?

Steve-Austin

There’s a Kosher butcher near me that does. Mail me and I’ll zap you their detials

hora

Hang on, have I missed something. Organic Bacon? Sainsburys/Tescos dont sell- where do you get it from?

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Bacon’s cured. Using salt. Which is a preservative.

hora

Steve YGM but can they post?!

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

There’s a Kosher butcher near me that does.

Bacon? Are you sure?

markenduro

Try smoked, less likely to have been dicked about with.

PMSL @ hora falling hook line and sinker in to Steve’s clutches!

Spongebob

Don’t but it in a supermarket

hora

Gits, hence my email was full of ‘!’ and ‘kosher’? πŸ™„

all bacon will have water in it to come out, there’s a far amount in the pig

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

DRY CURED, it is in the name.
    i.e no brine pumped in.
    i used to work in a pig/bacon factory.

hora

beforeeAA to an extent however I also ‘blew up’ after eating it. I react badly to additives in bacon. I’m not allergic to Pork- have eaten joints before etc but on certain sausages and bacon I inflate πŸ™

Steve-Austin

I caught me a Hora!! 8)

hora

Oh vey, wheres my high horse to ride and take on dastardly Steve.
    Cheers Ton for the dry cured tip.

deadlydarcy

Flash, do they farm Brown Trout at that place you mentioned?

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

i used to work in a pig/bacon factory

I should coco, big fella. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

I react badly to additives in bacon.

Does bacon have different additives to other meats ?

I am rather suspicious of this thread however as it involves ‘Hora’ and ‘pork’ πŸ˜†

djglover

waitrose thick sliced bacon is really really good for not shedding loads of water when you cook it, not that expensive either.

We have a local butcher where people queue out of the door every day but waitrose meat counter is always better quality IME

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Try your local Farmer’s Market. Google it, there is a website showing the venues and dates of them all in the country.

I can recommend the Duchy Originals bacon, you can get it in Sainsbury’s.

Just checked the freezer in CG Towers, shall have to have a word with the housekeeper, it’s almost empty otherwise I could have checked the ingredients.

I can recommend a pub and farm shop in Berkshire who have their own organic herds. Very good but you have to pay for it. Also do excellent ready meals.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

other meat in it’s natural form does not have additives.
    pork has additives to make it into bacon.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

hora – check out the Northenden farmer’s market. There’s usually something half decent available there.

Details are somewhere on the Manchester City Council website. Think it’s on once a month, and I saw it when passing last Saturday….

Also, you tried Barbakan and Wild at Heart in Chorlton?

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

It was with some trepidation that I Googled ‘making bacon’ but THIS was quite interesting

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

uplink
    why the **** did you do that.
    do you know what that does to me.
    gonna have to order a hampers worth now….

uplink

sorry ton

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Scottish bacon from Manchester πŸ˜•

uplink

Missionaries brought it back

Conor

I’ve made my own. easy, cheap, delicious and satisfying. Email me if you want advice.

Premier Icon Stu_N
    Subscriber

Best bacon ever – Nick Nairn and I agree on that πŸ™‚

http://www.puddledub.co.uk/

There’s a takeaway no more than 10 yards from my route into work that does puddledub bacon rolls. I have to be VERY strong!

Bit far from Manch but they do mail order.

Premier Icon Simon E
    Subscriber

You can’t put any old ‘additives’ in meat sold as organic. Salt is permitted.

If you want mail order try http://www.graigfarm.co.uk/

The box schemes e.g. Riverford do organic meat too.

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

PML

Hora to buy bacon from…………………Auchtertool πŸ˜€

TandemJeremy

My local deli sells some rather nice ayrshire bacon that does not shink or produce water or white gunk – but is well pricy.

Ambrose

Hora- if you are really interested I could get you some ‘proper’ bacon. A friend rears a few pigs and when the time comes she slaughters them and then some joints go as pork, others as bacon. The boary stuff is REALLY strong- I generally soak it in water for a while to try to tone it down but even then I can’t eat a lot! Nobody else in the family will touch it! The sow bacon is milder but it is all relative- it is nothing like you will have bought in any shops I know of, and I used to be a butcher.

No mail order available, but seeing as she is only 40 mins from either Brechfa or Afan, as am I, next time you are headed this way give me enough warning and I’ll arrange some for you.

hora

Cheers guys. I love bacon TJ, its a treat so price isnt an issue. I had a bacon buttie from Nickys (scraggy) in Manchester on monday and my boss took the piss the next day likening me to a chipmonk.

Barbakan and Wild at Heart in Chorlton?

Will do ta OMUN. The veggie supermarket not the right place to shout in a Brian Blessed-voice…’ WHAAAT, YOU DONT SELL BACON? WHAT ARE YOU (self edit)*’

*I dont want lynching by militant veggies

if you ever make it up galloway there are 4 butchers in castle douglas and an award winning organic buthcher in dalbeattie the best bacon comes from “littles” in castle douglas who are a specific pork butcher home cured bacon next to no water although most do great “ayrshire” bacon

gizzardman

Hora, Where are you based? This guy does the most amazing dry cured smoked bacon. It comes with an inch rind of fat on that doesn’t look pretty to the point where i asked him to cut it off the first time i bought some, he nearly hit the roof claimimg it was like edible gold! (he’s very passionate about his bacon!).
    He got through to the last 6 on the UKTV Food Local Heroes programme with Gary Rhodes and some woman claiming it was the best bacon they’d ever tasted!! High enough praise for me to visit him on a weekly basis!

http://www.jtbeedham.co.uk/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Pure, unadulted, unsullied Bacon. No additives, no water.. where?’ is closed to new replies.