Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Purchasing Microsoft Office software
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I would like to purchase Microsoft Office in order to word process whilst I study. The software seems to be quite expensive, so i was wandering if anyone know of any deals knocking around on the internet?

Thanks in advance 🙂

onewheelgood
    Drac

Yeah free if you have a student email or £5.99 a month for Office 365 if you’re not.

dc1988

Some employers have a home use program, I think you pay around £10 and get your own version for personal use.

DickBarton

Home use is 55 quid for own use or 75 for an option of 5 or 6 users.

brant
    Free Member

You get Onedrive with the 365 package which means it’s quite good value for cloud storage.

Though because I am badly organised I have iCloud, google drive and OneDrive.
    Oh. And Dropbox. Fml.

nixie

No need to buy. You could use gsuite instead. Free for home usage and saves to drive automatically.

If you must have installed software the 0365 provides an offline version (as does gsuite I think).

One nice extra if you use gsuite is being able to access files easily from mobile. perfect if you have a spare 5 minutes to write a few words (e.g. while travelling). Not sure 0365 is set up quite as seamlessly.

rone

It’s not really expensive in the grand scheme of things.

orangespyderman

One nice extra if you use gsuite is being able to access files easily from mobile. perfect if you have a spare 5 minutes to write a few words (e.g. while travelling). Not sure 0365 is set up quite as seamlessly.

It absolutely is as seemless with OneDrive. In fact, it’s better.

winston2005

if your at uni check they might have provision for Office 365 for their students

footflaps
    nixie

That site looks dodgy.

footflaps

I’ve bought licenses from them before (when they were softwaregeeks.co.uk) without any problems.

GavinB

Buying a licence for standalone Office 2010 package would not be the best option IMO, unless that also includes updates, but even then it’ll go out of date very quickly and still pose a load of restrictions on what you can do.

Office365 (free for students) or arguably better GSuite (free for up to 15GB of cloud storage) is the way to go. Sync files across all devices, share easily with others, import/export to MS file formats if you need to.

footflaps

Buying a licence for standalone Office 2010 package would not be the best option IMO, unless that also includes updates, but even then it’ll go out of date very quickly and still pose a load of restrictions on what you can do.

I’m still running Office 2010 at work (as it’s faster than 2016 / 365). Gets updated regularly and works absolutely fine.

Speeder

eBay at less than a tenner for the full suite. Have done it a few times recently and all good. No need to pay more, just check the feedback.

G

slowoldman

Anyone used FastSoftware?

boblo
    Free Member

365 home use (single user) when your employer has an EA; £40 p/a inc 1TB of storage. I did it a few weeks ago, no brainer for me.

nixie

Office 2010 goes end of life next year in October. There will be no updates after that.

Moses

LibreOffice is as good, and free. Or G-suite, as mentioned above

molgrips
    Free Member

LibreOffice is as good

It really isn’t.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Im sorted now. I decided £5.99/month didn’t seem too bad

Speeder

Cost me that for the whole thing off eBay but it’s your money.

redthunder
    Free Member

Libre Office
    and
    Open Office

Job done.

boblo
    Free Member

Speeder

Subscriber

So stolen. That’s OK, dunt bother me but I’ll be round later to raid your shed. I’ll be the bloke on his high horse 😁

goldfish24

And I’ll be the one offering a tasty carrot to the high horse.
    Good call On just buying the software; morally correct but also saves all the hassle of trying to do something else.
    As a student I also presume you might later look for employment, and it’s worth being familiar with the latest software rather than a 9 year old version. And the cloud way of working really is better in the workplace.
    I was once chatting with a colleague complaining about how hard it had got to download the latest game of thrones or whatever, when I said why don’t you just pay the five pounds a month, you can afford it and enjoy the show. The penny dropped and they agreed it wasn’t worth the effort anymore.

leffeboy

the 5.99 also gets you 1TB of storage.  Set up your computer correctly and if you ever lose it you still have everything where you want it but online, ready to hook up to a new machine.  It’s fab.  You have a first level backup running all the time so you don’t have to worry about whether that piece of ransomware has toasted everything and you can also do the occasional backup to usb to be sure

difficult not to like really

molgrips
    Free Member

£6 is well worth it, even more so £8 for 5 PCs.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Purchasing Microsoft Office software’ is closed to new replies.