Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Purbecks in winter?
  • timidwheeler

We are off to Swanage for the new year and planning on taking the mountain bikes (we aren’t taking the van so don’t have room for road and mountain bikes). Any advice on routes and how they ride in the winter? I’m guessing that it is pretty boggy at the moment, are there any routes which hold up better? Also, any other advice on the area would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

oldfart

As its mostly chalk best take some skates! For more in depth advice check in with Dorset Rough Riders they are a very friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

oldfart

Also Charlie Hobbs STW staffer these days after emigrating oop North 😎Heof Charlie The Bike monger, his shop was in Swanage so another good source of info. Whatever you do a visit to the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers is obligatory whenever you’re down that way. Village is twinned with Royston Vaisey 😳 In fact it may even be against the law not to visit! 😎

RichPenny
    Free Member

As stated, the ridge between Ulwell and Corfe is chalk so great fun but a bit sketchy. The path at the bottom of the ridge will be muddy. On the top should be OK but descents to the north through the woods might be claggy. I reckon the link out to Chapmans Pool and from Worth Matravers down and across to Old Harry Rocks may be OK. It’s winter, embrace it! Wareham Forest has some gravel stuff that’ll be clean but boring.

jimmy748

Depend what you are looking for, plenty of xc Purbeck routes that can be ridden all year round, Wareham forest/Gore heath has miles of single track that is mostly sand so rides fine even at the moment, Puddletown is 1/2 hour away if you want loads of tech DH singletrack.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Hi,
    I recently wrote about 3 different MTB routes in that area, I think all should be mostly rideable as the trails in Dorset are generally quite gravelly. The Purbecks is one of my favourite places to go MTBing, so hope you enjoy these:

https://outbiking.co.uk/isle-of-purbeck/
    https://outbiking.co.uk/rempstone-heath/
    https://outbiking.co.uk/chapmans-pool/

greenskin
    Free Member

My old stomping ground, Corfe Castle was home for a long time. That time of year some of the routes up on east and west hill might be a bit crappy in the way of views if the weather is poor, but tops are grass and the climbs and descents although chalky are also full of stones/gravel so grip shouldn’t be and issue. . There is a route from Studland in the new MBUK btw.

Or just up, along the top and down into Corfe. Greyhound is the better pub there, Bankes can be a bit hit and miss.

You could venture up the road to Wareham forests some good trails there but can also get a bit waterlogged.

Whatever you do, it’ll be sloppy and fun. But the views up on the hills are absolutely worth it.

timidwheeler

All very helpful. Thanks everyone.

jobro
    Free Member

Well, as I”m typing this on the edge of Wareham Forest and my patio is currently flooded and two of the local roads are closed due to flooding I hope the forecast of drier weather comes good as it’ll still be a shit fest when you come down. Rempstone is especially bad at the moment. If you’re at Swanny then you’re probably best going up onto the ridge and staying up there. The Priests Way over to Worth will, hopefully, be drier in a week so you can pop into the Square and Compass. There will be pretty views in good weather if nothing else. Nothing in the Purbs really needs a mountain bike but I’m sure you’ll have fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Purbecks in winter?’ is closed to new replies.