Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • puppytrackworld… what real meat?
  • totalshell

our minature schnauzer molly is now 4 months old and frankly bored of dried food/ milk she could do wiith some real food, puppy trainer says substitute one meal for meat.. but what and for how much.. i know i would have asked the trainer but as mrs. tts takes her its politically insensitive of me to even politely ask why she didnt clarify..

br
    Free Member

our minature schnauzer molly is now 4 months old and frankly bored of dried food/ milk

Did it tell you this or write a letter of complaint?

eskay

Chicken breast is OK, not chicken on the bone though as chicken bones splinter.

cinnamon_girl

My dog was fed on Chappie, it’s basically chicken and rice so quite bland. Vet stated that Pedigree Chum was too rich.

I used to buy frozen meat from the pet shop and cook it in the microwave. The smell was dreadful but dog was happy, probably cos it consisted of offal and veins.

I personally don’t get this dried food malarkey.

totalshell

she doesnt have to tell us.. like any woman the look says it all..

cinnamon_girl

How much do you love her???

😉

andyl
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t. For several reasons.

Just try some different dried food, they are far from equal.

From experience I would recommend Eukanuba (we have our springer on it) or something like pro-plan (we have the cat on the cat variety)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My dad used to give any pups we had some rabbit but as a gamekeeper he had a ready supply of free rabbits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Puppy threads have pictures. Make it so!

Last dog got quite a bit of heart in his food. Did wonders for him.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Things our working cocker loves (in order of what I give her)
    Toasted brown bread
    Eggs (done any way but we do boiled)
    Rice
    Anything vaguely fishy (so fish or skins)
    Baked potato skins (not sure they should have much potato though)
    Cooked meat – not massive amounts though.

We feed James Wellbeloved spiced up with any of the above.

Don’t give up on the dried food though, just make it a bit more interesting.

crikey
    Free Member

You have a ‘puppy trainer’?

dan1980
    Free Member

Chicken breast is OK, not chicken on the bone though as chicken bones splinter.

Raw, uncooked chicken on the bone is OK, it doesn’t splinter. Think how many dead wild dogs and cats there’d be if raw bones (bird or otherwise) splintered!

Any cooked bones will splinter and should be avoided.

Bones can occasionally present a choking hazard, so for example feeding chicken wings to a Great Dane would be a bad idea.

banks
    Free Member

our jack russell gets a bucket of blood when a few animals go to a better place… loves it.

cinnamon_girl

You have a ‘puppy trainer’?

Of course! This is middleclasstrackworld. 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Oh yes, how unremittingly plebeian of me…

How much do you pay said trainer?

cinnamon_girl

I guess the OP’s housekeeper deals with that sort of thing, no?

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sod all that.

PICTURES! NOW!

CheesybeanZ

We use Arden Grange fish and potato dry food with garlic powder , for a treat he likes pilchard or mackerel mixed in with it .

anagallis_arvensis

We feed our lurcher Wainwrights dry food with a fork full of cheap tinned in with it or any meat scraps. She hasnt staved to death yet.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Be aware my boxer was picky with her meals and got bored of her food. We ended up spending loads of money swapping foods every time she got sick of it instead of just sticking to what she had which was perfectly good. However, I’m also a big advocate of choosing a food that is the best quality you can afford for your dog,

hughjengin
    Free Member

+1 for James wellbeloved

Lazgoat
    Free Member

It’s a slippery slope you’re heading too! We’ve been through 3 different brands abs settled on Gentle dogfood. She did not get on with JWelbeloved. Dried food isn’t all fun, but mixing in some raw meat may make the dog selective. It certainly has ours. She’ll eat all the tasty bits and leave the rest.

Try a tin of Tuna in oil and mix up the dry kibble with some of the fishy oil. Works for us.

There are some raw foods you can buy that come frozen & you just defrost and feed straight from the packet.

Have a look at http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk for them.

Drac

You don’t have a chef for your puppy?

This place really is going to the dogs.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’m with CFH. Pictures required.

scotsman
    Free Member

Google search for BARF raw diets for dogs, our hounds are on a semi BARF diet and they love it, they get duck and chicken carcasses and it keeps them entertained in the garden for an hour at a time.

emma82
    Free Member

Ours is happy enough on dry food I think, how do you know if they’re bored compared to just off their food?

this is his ‘I keep finding poop on the floor mum – there’s one over there and I’m not going to jump on your head when you clean it up’ face

MrNero50
    Free Member

How does a dog get bored of food? If it’s hungry it’ll eat.

How many meals a day is your pup getting? Is it on 3/4 still?

If so could it be time to cut it down to 2 a day (am and pm)?

Ours went off his midday feed at about 4 months once he started getting his adult teeth. He’s never turned down his am or pm feeds though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘puppytrackworld… what real meat?’ is closed to new replies.