Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Puppy walking – how long?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve got a puppy (Patterdale / Lab cross) and we’re taking it out for walks now she’s vaccinated. We want to make sure we do the right think to make sure our dog doesn’t overdo it. So, what’s everyones views on time out walking?

I’ve had a few different views ranging from 5 mins for every month of age – 3 months = 15mins a day to Patterdales don’t conform to this rule and you can walk them for longer. I’ve also heard the 5mins rule relating to twice a day.

But, the issue I have is if the dog is charging round the house, then going for a walk of 15 mins does this add up to more?

What about if the dog is on a lead v off the lead and if the surface is grass v tarmac?

Then there is a round the block walk (300m) which takes about 20mins because the dog stops to sniff everything v the woodland walk where we can cover 1km in 15mins.

We’re trying not to walk her too much but at the sametime the 5 min rule is a bit swiss cheese in it’s application so I’m wondering what those with Dogs or dog experience would recommend?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Our vet recommended approx 5mins per month plus 5mins (so 1month =10 min, 2month =15min etc), but this can be repeated several times per day.

I wouldn’t worry to much as you know your pup better than anyone and as long as your not going mad with things I’m sure you’ll be fine.

I think how much exercise your dog needs is a bit like the what to feed them debate in that whatever you do someone will say your doing it wrong!!

pingu66
    Free Member

Its a rule of thumb, the important thing is not to overdo things. It really is something only you can judge.

The first few will probably be drags though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sit in the garden and watch him run around like an idiot for an hour.

Go for an hour’s stroll and watch him run around like an idiot for an hour.

Do what the dog is happy with.

I was walking our latest puppy over 10 miles a day when she was 3 months old. It was that or she’d run round the house all day (actually it was both). Now she’d 9 months she’d happy with 2.5 miles.

franksinatra

chakaping
    Free Member

We’ve got a 3 month old pup at the moment. We’re sticking to the 15 minute rule, but when he has to do a little more to get to the vet he gets overtired and needs carrying.

the dog is charging round the house

Called “the zooms” apparently, worst in the evening for us. Got a lot beter since we could take him out for a walk though.

whytetrash

Hi Bushwhacked this is driving me nuts too, googling gives massively conflicting views, our 12 week old border collie had 3 max length (5mins per month) walks yesterday and was still running round the garden like a loon herding the guineau pigs! local farming types looked at me daft when I mentioned this restriction, apparently 70miles in a working day is doable when she’s older!

Best advice was watch her on longer walks in case she starts flagging then carry her home, not happened yet!

all this is on soft woodland MTB cheeky trails best start her early 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Here’s a recent pic from the park

That was two weeks ago and she’s grown loads since then. She’s already the size of an adult Jack Russell we know and almost the same size as her mum.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I took her out this morning in the woods for a walk which ended up lasting slightly longer but I ended up carrying her after a while. She’s had a little sleep and is now ready to go again.

Our’s gets the “zooms” after her last feed at 9.30 – we’ve started calling her “Night Fury” as she is totally black and will hide and we just can’t see her until she charges out at us from her hiding place.

core

What size do those lab/patterdale crosses end up being?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Depends on a number of factors I’ve been told, but after 3 months she’s already 6kg which is the upper end of a standard size Patterdale and she’s on track to be about 12.5kg fully grown.

theotherjonv

sounds like ours, a totally binary dog. Either full on, or spark out.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good rule of thumb – less than you think for longer than you think.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Puppy walking – how long?’ is closed to new replies.