• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pumptrack / Dirt jumps from Plan
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Local church has said yes to letting us build a pumptrack and dirt on their land, a slightly sloping field next to some woods. We dont have time to build it ourselves (well, we do, but it would take 10 years!) so can anyone recommend any drawings/plans the the digger guy can build to? . we have gravel, dirt, a compactor and land, bit alas not freetime !

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I would approach the pump track builders and ask them for tips, have you been to any others you like etc?

https://www.clarkkentcontractors.com/tracks/pump-track.html

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

we are the pumptrack builders….!  The owner of the digger is a parent who lives in the neighbourhood. he is great at sculpting earth for house building etc but has never done a pumptrack

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nwmlarge
    Free Member

Again contact the above and ask for their design input.

I’m sure they would provide a site survey which at the very least will confirm viability.

You will need to consider drainage and erosion both from weather and use.

Not a light undertaking.

I have seen pumptracks suffer very quickly, not least from popularity, and often from smaller children using scooters on there which destroys lips etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are there any unofficial dirtjumps locally you could ask for help from?

I suspect if you just told a digger driver to make a jump line they’d make a hash of it. And an off the shelf drawing of a pump track isnt going to take any account of the slope of the land. A lot of it is going to be someone judging it by eye, building it, riding it and tweaking.

If there is a pot of money for a contractor to do it, then id guess a pump track builder probably isnt that much more expensive than any other small civil engineering contractor.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks for the input so far, however I doubt they would come to Sweden  @nwmlarge . I don’t really think a sight survey is required 🙂

Drainage is being considered, just looking for plans as a good starting point.  Appreciate the site specifics points

It’s all being done voluntarily. However, Velosolutions have an office fairly close, i may contact them for some input

trumpton
    Free Member

didn’t WCA get one built in Southampton bike park. They may help you. Make sure the plans are decent. I’ve been to a couple of small council ones and they had no flow at all. Just a little circuit for kids.

nixie

He did, don’t think there were any plans as such. More a vision, a touch or direction and lots of hands on spades.

samcamsdad

Some good advice on here https://www.leelikesbikes.com/top-5-pump-track-mistakes.html
    I have used measurements from lee’s website in the past to make some wooden rollers for when the kids were young and learning to ride and they worked out really well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers @samcamsdad!   Grand advice there! Will take look

onehundredthidiot

Be careful with height and steepness of the rollers. I was on one in the summer that was too compact. Might have worked on a BMX but nothing bigger.

JoeG
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pumptrack / Dirt jumps from Plan’ is closed to new replies.