Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Pulp Fiction
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

did anyone else not hate Jackie Brown?

Not hate? It’s Tarantino’s best film!

Spin
    Free Member

Tarantino’s second film and the beginning of his downward trajectory.

easily
    Free Member

I agree with thols, it has its moments but is a bit gimmicky. Worth watching, but it kind of put me off Tarantino, I started Inglourios Basterds about a month ago, but I’ve not got around to watching the second half.

Has anyone ever tried watching PF in chronological order? It would be fairly easy to do with a DVD I imagine

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think it’s about as good as all the other tarantino films. Really dull.

The two outliers being reservoir dogs which so **** boring and inglorious basterds which was watchable.

Definitely the most prolific overrated director.

kerley
    Free Member

Definitely the most prolific overrated director.

Oh yes, definitely. The fact that pretty much all his films are great would not really go with overrated but never mind, you clearly don’t like the films so that makes him the most overrated director ever.

didnthurt

The only Tarantino film which I struggled to get through (from memory) was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I didn’t like the style of it plus most of the characters and found it pretty boring in places. I really enjoyed the Bruce Lee scene though, but the ending was way too gratuitously violent for me. It was a good twist and I deliberately didn’t read anything about it before seeing it so it was a genuine surprise to me.

Tarantino films I’ve most enjoyed are (in no particular order):
    – Reservoir dogs. It hasn’t aged well but Tim Roth was good in it.
    – Inglorious Bastards. Although it being an alternative history take on world war 2 was a minus for me, it is pretty fun.
    – Kill Bill 1&2. I loved Hong Kong martial arts films as a kid and this is like a big budget western version. Loved both of them and would happily watch them again if they were on tv right now.
    – Jackie Brown. I thought this film was great, yeah it’s not as violent or action packed as his other films but I think it’s decent.
    – Pulp fiction. Love, love, love it!
    – Django unchained. It has parts that for me that are very uncomfortable viewing. It’s still a great film imo with a great cast.
    – The hateful eight. I thought that this was decent, a kind of a who done it but with a Tarantino slant.
    – True Romance. Some great scenes, especially the one with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper.

His other films just didn’t do it for me. Not terrible but either too pretentious or just pretty average films.

thols2

I forgot about True Romance, Tarantino wrote the script but didn’t direct. It was better than anything he directed.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ezekiel 25:17.

Jus sayin….

tpbiker
    Free Member

His other films just didn’t do it for me.

Other than the films you mention, what others has he done? Can’t think of any other than once upon a time

neilnevill
    Free Member

Reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, true romance, all good films, very good. Pretty much the rest of tarantino is awful in my view.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is my new fave Tarantino film.

Yeah, I’ve never seen The Matrix.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve never seen The Matrix.

Also shit. Ha.

LAT

Since we’re doing confessions, did anyone else not hate Jackie Brown?

i love it. i particularly like the opening credits.

binners

The only Tarantino film which I struggled to get through (from memory) was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

A few hours of my life I’ll never get back. Absolutely nothing happens, then there’s 5 minutes of gratuitous explosive violence, by which point I couldn’t care less about any of the characters anyway

I love Tarantino films, but this is just dull, self-indulgent toss

13thfloormonk

Some of the silly internet conspiracy/plot theories are quite fun, although I’ve never followed any of them particularly far down their respective rabbit holes.

Watch it, then ask google what’s in the suitcase 😉

(actually, I’ll confess up front to being particularly dim when it comes to screamingly obvious plot elements, perhaps everyone else can figure out the contents of the case without resorting to google).

chevychase

@spin

This

Reservoir dogs was a great opener. Pulp Fiction is fantastic filmmaking from start to finish.

Everything else he has done is of varying quality. His dialogue is strong but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the storyline, it should serve it. Hateful 8 fell foul of that when I had really high hopes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just to make everyone feel old, Pulp Fiction came out 27 years ago

I have a sweater with the logo on, which I got free as a promo thing when buying the VHS tape for my then GF.

Still wear it regularly, it’s so comfy. That’s had a good innings, eh?

I beg to differ, Jackie Brown was on the same level IMO – just different and less catchphrase-y.

But is that supposed to be a criticism anyway? Citizen Kane was Orson Welles’ first film.

kerley
    Free Member

I love Tarantino films, but this is just dull, self-indulgent toss

I like Once upon a time but then I am also a dull, self-indulgent tosser so explains why.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I liked him in Dusk Til Dawn.

chevychase

The Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is a an alternative take on teh Manson Family. If you’re not interested in something that existed in real life (with a twist) then maybe you’ve missed the point of the film 🙂

Kryton57

I liked him in Dusk Til Dawn.

Salma Hayek was the undisputed star of that film.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Salma Hayek was the undisputed star of that film.

I mean, if that scene doesn’t stir something in you then you may be dead inside.

I’m also a big Jackie Brown fan. One of his best for me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Great guitar sound too…

dannyh
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction is a good film if you treat it like it is meant to be treated – I.e. like a super violent pulp comic strip. It is a series of set piece ‘encounters’ that exaggerate the characteristics of the players. It is not a magnificent storyline designed to sweep you away and get you ‘invested’ in the characters.

dannyh
    Free Member

Jackie Brown

If you don’t love her by the end there is something wrong with you too!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Other than the films you mention, what others has he done? Can’t think of any other than once upon a time

Death Proof, From Dusk Till Dawn, umm…

didnthurt

Death poo more like.

maccruiskeen

neilnevill
    Free Member

Inglorious barstewards, that’s particularly bad, Django in chains is okay. Kill Bill… Kill me rather than make me watch it now like. Thankfully I have not seen too many of the really bad ones in cinemas at least, hateful eight I did though. So bad.

chakaping
    Free Member

His films from kill Bill onward are all flawed to various degrees but still interesting.

I always like to see what he does with a genre, what references he makes etc.

There’s usually plenty to enjoy but they are flabby and undisciplined.

Essentially though, he doesn’t feel very relevant now. Like his time has passed.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Death Proof, From Dusk Till Dawn, umm…

From dusk till dawn isn’t technically a Tarantino movie. I forgot about death proof however, Never even seen that one..

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

What about tarantinos other movie, ‘natural born killers’.
    “ The film is based on an original screenplay by Quentin Tarantino that was heavily revised by (Oliver) Stone”. (Wikipedia)

As for pf again, I think that we all invested in the characters. (Though, it may have been down to the directors use of very close shots of the primary actors).
    Tarantino is a huge fan of Sergio leone. Remember the opening shots of ‘the good, the bad, and the ugly’, with the bounty hunters faces taking up nearly all of the screen.
    Think of the space given over to ving Rhames head with the Elastoplast, or the look of utter malevolence in Samuel l Jackson’s eyes as he washes down that big kahuna burger with the sprite.

Afair, the only camera shot in pf that gave any sense of distance was the one with the aforementioned ‘twilight zone’ music.

Aside from the excellent soundtrack, the sound recording on pf was outstanding, lending a great sense of ambience. A world away from the vague mumblings on rd.

Pf is up there with ‘hereditary’ as one of my favourite movies.

inkster
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction is great but Jackie Brown is perfect.

MSP

I enjoyed pulp fiction when it came out, but it has aged badly, he has always been more about cinematic style. I disagree with Tarantino films having good dialogue, I find it more caricature than character based.

Jackie Brown and Django unchained are probably his best, inglorious bastards his worst despite a star making turn from Christoph Waltz.

He does tend to have good soundtracks though.

thols2

There’s usually plenty to enjoy but they are flabby and undisciplined.

Essentially though, he doesn’t feel very relevant now. Like his time has passed.

This sums Tarantino up for me. He reminds me of Seinfeld – it seemed fresh and original 30 years ago, with characters sitting around talking nonsense about trivial stuff. Now it just seems dated. Pulp Fiction is an iconic 90s movie though and is entertaining, even if I think it’s a bit overrated by the superfans.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Love Pulp Fiction, definitely in my top 5 films. Marc Maron interviews Tarantino in his latest podcast today, should be a good listen but hope the editor does a good job.

misteralz
    Free Member

Used to be one of my favourite films, but when I tried to watch it again recently I gave up about halfway through. It felt painfully dated, despite its being deliberately painfully dated when it came out. I’m almost scared to try rewatching Kill Bill now!

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you seen any Tarantino films? If not, it’s a good one to start with… if you have you’ll know if you like them or not.

I dunno about this. Pulp Fiction is the one IMO where he pulls it off, the others – not so much, for me. It’s a shallow film about stories, not a story in itself. It’s all about the images and style which is why it’s lightweight fluff, really, despite each scene being heavy in itself. The characters are all stereotypes – whilst it contains emotion, you aren’t emotionally involved with anyone in it. And there’s plenty of very black humour indeed.

I couldn’t watch Reservoir Dogs. Too visceral and violent for me. I can handle violence as long as it doesn’t come with pathos. Same reason I didn’t like Kill Bill.

thols2

Used to be one of my favourite films, but when I tried to watch it again recently I gave up about halfway through. It felt painfully dated,

I had the same thing when I tried to rewatch Fight Club a few months ago. I used to watch it probably once a year back in the day and then realized I hadn’t watched it in years. Got bored and changed to something else after about 10 minutes.

metalheart
    Free Member

Gogo

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Pulp Fiction’ is closed to new replies.