Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

Am I the only person who hasn’t seen it? I was at a BBQ earlier this evening and the look of shock on the other guests’ faces when I said I hadn’t seen it. Will it live up to the hype if I do watch it?

Premier Icon alaric
    Free Member

Does anything ever truly live up to the hype?

However, I saw it at the cinema when it first came out, and have seen it a number of times since, I love it.

I think it’s probably a bit of a love /hate thing, it has a non-linear time line for a start, which my wife didn’t really get on with.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

If you don’t get tarantino.

No.

“think it’s probably a bit of a love /hate thing, it has a non-linear time line for a start”

Yeah that….it’s annoying tilll you under stand

Premier Icon DezB

Have you seen any Tarantino films? If not, it’s a good one to start with… if you have you’ll know if you like them or not.

Premier Icon lister

It’s an amazing film. Time has been kind to it I think.
    Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s pretty special and a highlight of 90s film making.

Premier Icon tomparkin

At this point, yes, you probably are the only person who hasn’t seen it.

You probably have seen enough parodies, comedy sketches based on it, memes referencing it, etc, that it might seem a bit old hat if you watch it now.

edit: … which is not to say don’t watch it. It was quite hyped at the time, but I think the hype has subsided sufficiently by now that you can look past it 😂

Premier Icon didnthurt

One of my favorite films. I have watched it many times. I notice something new pretty much every time I watch it.

Watch it by yourself with the sound turned up with a beer in hand.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Am I the only person who hasn’t seen it?

Yes.

Will it live up to the hype if I do watch it?

Yes.

Though you will need to watch it at least twice in order to put all the individual scenes into the correct chronology.

Premier Icon weeksy

The only film I’ve watched more is Snatch.

It’s great. But can be tricky to follow as it jumps about at times

Premier Icon fooman
    Free Member

Five dollar milkshake no longer sounds expensive.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Never watched any Tarantino films.

I just don’t do violence very well so there’s very few films I do get to watch. If they could do PG rated versions of them all I’d be fine.

Premier Icon garage-dweller

Slowoldman has it with the proviso of “if you like Tarantino”. It also definitely merits a second watch to really follow the various plot lines.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

I thought this was going to be a PSA it had just started on telly 🙁

Premier Icon gordimhor

Girrrrlll

Premier Icon sharkattack

Never watched any Tarantino films.

I just don’t do violence very well so there’s very few films I do get to watch

Try Death Proof. It’s 99% dialogue.

Premier Icon Drac

Probably not the only one but possible one of a few of a certain generation. It’s fantastic, the man knows how to make a film.

Try Death Proof. It’s 99% dialogue.

So, it’s a Tarrintino film.

Premier Icon Houns

Just to make everyone feel old, Pulp Fiction came out 27 years ago

Premier Icon argee

One of my favourites as well, was a different class of film when it first came out, always remember how slick the dialogue and flow of the film was, the whole weird scene with Christopher Walken, then suddenly realising the whole reason for that 5 minute scene being in was due to a later action to make the audience agree with the way the movie did that.

Don’t get me wrong, it had a lot of overly done parts where you see Tarrantino’s flaws, but at the time it was a great movie that was just different

Premier Icon Kryton57

I thought this was going to be a PSA it had just started on telly

Me too, arse.

Am I the only person who hasn’t seen it?

I suspect it’s just you and Hitler tbh.

Premier Icon TomB

I hadn’t seen any hype when I saw it at the cinema in late teen/early twenties and I was blown away- there isn’t much to compete it to and I didn’t really enjoy other Tarantino stuff as much but I thought PF was brilliant- dialogue and soundtrack especially. Don’t watch it with your kids!

Premier Icon supernova
    Free Member

Easily Tarantino’s masterpiece. Great movie. Watch it if you haven’t seen it.

Premier Icon Caher

Had a girlfriend at the time who kept at me to watch it and I refused as I was not into gangster type movies.
    Eventually caved in and thought it was one of the the best films I ever saw. Even bought the Godfather Trilogy afterwards.
    Still not seen Resovoir Dogs yet though.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Don’t think you need to be a Tarantino fan to enjoy it, just love good movies, it’s one of the all time greats. He’s been chasing it ever since, and never come close (and I say that AS a Tarantino fan!)

I just don’t do violence very well

by modern standards, it’s extremely tame!

Premier Icon Kryton57

Still not seen Resovoir Dogs yet though.

That was just the gory Prelude without a soundtrack of note, PF out ranks it by miles, I wouldn’t bother tbh.

Not sure it will be shown on telly again,

I have it on DVD, that’s next Friday night sorted.

Premier Icon mattcartlidge
    Free Member

My favourite film, watched it by chance in the cinema after the film we went to watch was sold out so watched without any expectations. Don’t feel too bad about not having seen it, someone I used to work with had seen almost no classic films including star wars, highlight of the afternoon talking films was asking him if he’d seen Jaws to which his response was ‘is that the one with the shark?’ still use that line in work probably 8 years later if someone in my team asks me if I’ve seen a film and we still laugh.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

That was just the gory Prelude without a soundtrack of note

I’m not a big fan of Reservoir Dogs but I will never hear ‘Stuck in the middle with you’ without it bringing that scene in the film to mind

Premier Icon theotherjonv

brilliant film. I had a cassette tape made from just the dialogue, and used to listen to it in the car on my then long commute. So many masterpiece lines.

‘Would you give me a foot massage?’

and used in my house now the kids are old enough

‘Pretty please with sugar on top……[insert foofin task to be done] ‘

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Any other movies you’ve not seen you feel like confessing to us now you’ve that out in the open ?.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Ronal the barbarian perhaps 😕

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Not a big Tarantino fan, didn’t particularly enjoy reservoir dogs, and seen his others and thought they were average

But pulp fiction is in a different league altogether. Brilliant film, it’ll require a couple of viewings but well worth it. An absolute masterpiece

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

Inglourious Basterds is the best Tarantino film IMHO – watched it many times.

Premier Icon greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I didn’t get the chance to watch reservoir dogs and pulp fiction until 1995.

I bought the cassette tape and even from looking at the pictures on the inner sleeve, I knew that it was essential viewing.

At the double-bill, I thought that Rd was overhyped, but pf had me squirming with laughter at all the crazy plot twists (motha-f***@!!!) and utterly engrossed with its portrayal of the whole sleazy la underbelly.

I enjoyed the way that the film made you wonder what the characters would go on to do.

The music was outstanding, particularly the ‘twilight zone’ incidental score with the chopper. “Whose chopper is this?”

You will feel a deep sense of glee from start to finish.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Since we’re doing confessions, did anyone else not hate Jackie Brown?

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Pulp fiction is a must see !! One of my most watched movies 🙂

Premier Icon inkster
    Free Member

“I enjoyed the way that the film made you wonder what the characters would go on to do”

Definitely this, It hadn’t occurred to me before but I can’t think of a movie which does this so well.I wonder if it’s the jump cut style that encourages this feeling?

Premier Icon cb200
    Free Member

did anyone else not hate Jackie Brown

I love pretty much every Tarantino film*, but despite trying several times, just can’t stand Jackie Brown.

Premier Icon alanl
    Free Member

One of my top ten films. Love it. Pam Grier and Robert Forster were excellent, and De Niro gave a good performance of his real self (IMV!).

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

did anyone else not hate Jackie Brown?

That’s when I gave up on Tarantino. I saw Reservoir Dogs when it first came out and thought it was excellent. I watched Pulp Fiction years later and thought it was amusing but gimmicky. Jackie Brown was just boring. I think I tried watching Kill Bill on a plane but gave up – it just seemed stupid. I have deliberately avoided Tarantino’s movies since then, I think he’s massively overrated, he just isn’t as clever as he thinks he is.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

I like Jackie Brown. The only film I didn’t really get on with is the Hateful Eight.

Premier Icon richmars

Not watched all of it, I watch bits when it’s on TV, get bored, change channels.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.