Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • PUBS!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re great, aren’t they? And they’re suffering at the moment as well, so let’s spread the love and see who recommends what.

Let’s be hearing your recommendations for GREAT pubs.

A few from me;
    The Parrot, Forest Green in Surrey. Stunningly good food (They have their own farm!) and lovely beer.
    The Malet, Newton Tony (IMHO, the finest pub in the country! I’ve been going there for about twenty years and still love the place)
    Wombwell Arms, Wass, Yorks. Lovely food, great beer and a really nice atmosphere overall.
    The Ferryboat Inn, Helford Passage, Cornwall. OK, so it’s no stunner in high season with all the grockles, but in the off season, it’s a great place for a beer after a day’s sailing
    The Cressely Arms, Pembs. Affectionately known as the Quay, this is a cracker. Maurice and Janet run a cracking pub. Always a warm fire and a warmer welcome!

So, let’s have the STW Good Pub Guide then!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bangers near Mooregate because:

It’s called bangers, but isn’t a titty bar
    Old Wallop served in Pewter Tankards
    Good selection of port
    Not full on trendy annoying people

Drac

Horse Shoes, Rennington – Very friendly, piss poor decor, exceptional food, local beers. **** it think I’ll head there tonight.

? – Great beer, brew their own, best crab sandwiches in the world, gets a bit too busy in the summer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I would also recommend the “?” as mentioned by Drac. The crab sarnies are indeed that good!

yoshimi

The Imperial – Chorley town centre – great staff, good vibe, live music – a bit different to what you find elsewhere in the big C

BoardinBob

Some Glasgow nominations

McSorleys on Jamaica St: old mans pub style but has a modern “vibe”. Great booze, food and music.

Clockwork Beer Company in Battlefield – Amazing selection of beers and their own microbrewery.

Soba in Mitchell Lane: Japanese themed restaurant/ bar. Great atmosphere at the weekends and great cocktails.

Stube Bier Halle in Shawlands: Wonderful selection of beers and 2 for 1 pizzas all week 8)

Snigletrack
    Free Member

I love pubs too… Lots of characterful, cheap commercial premises in great locations coming to a market near you, soon…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Malt and hops in Leith – a great traditional pub – 8 real ales, open fire, free dog biscuits for your mutt.

snowslave

The Fox – Brook Bottom (Roman Lakes). Cos last week they stayed open specially for us after our night ride and did us curry and chips in humungous proportions for a fiver.

King Bill, Greenfield. Similar reasons, curry and chips was only £3.50 there.

Diggle Hotel, Diggle. Just cos it’s in a place with a funny name, right at the end of quite a long fun downhill.

The Besom in Ripponden, cos they don’t seem to care about things like smoking (not that any of us smoke, it’s just nice to smell as if you do occasionally), shutting hours, post ride hot beef buttie for a quid.

Dulcimer Bar – Chorlton – the sanctuary for massive beards.

snowslave

Oh, and any good pub guide for STW must not include The Rambler at Edale. Staffed by miserable anti bike bastids who often give us a hard time for trying to drink their beer.

They once made us stand outside with our post night ride pints in the cold. It needs burning down and the staff should be killed.

djglover
    Free Member

Red Lion – Ealing, finest Fullers pub in London that I know of
    Queens Arms – Littondale, brilliant, microbrew real ale made in the shed.
    The Bodega – Necastle, proper unpretentions drinking pub for blokes, but with a brilliant range of real ale.
    Centurion – Newcastle, best station bar I’ve been to, but I don’t use the train that much

Snigletrack
    Free Member

If we’re going to start naming bad or bike-unfriendly pubs, then the White Lion in Ambleside deserves a mention.

They wouldn’t serve us with food outside when we called towards the end of a ride. They expected us to leave £10 grand+ of bikes unattended in the beer garden while we ate inside!

I wonder what they did with those 8 pints of shandy that they’d already poured…

Snigle
    :o)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi, let’s be keeping this to GOOD pubs! The ones that deserve our love! (And money, of course!)

loddrik
    Free Member

Pubs, my idea of hell!

MussEd
    Free Member

Both in Musselburgh – Stagg’s{Volunteer Arms} and The Ship Inn.

mangoridebike

The Bell Inn in Ramsbury and and the Royal Oak in Bishopstone both in Wiltshire (I think)

snowslave

Fair point. I will therefore retract mention of the nasty ol Rambler (spit), and instead replace with a positive to re-balance karma.

The Sportsman in Hayfield. V good location for night rides, sells Thwaites. Nuff said.

IHN

The Jolly Brewmaster, Cheltenham. Truly excellent beer.

The Farmers Arms, Guiting Power. Great unpretensious (sp?) country pub in the Cotswolds, and there’s not many of them, believe me.

The Peveril in the Peak, Manchester city centre. Is it still there?

The Lantern Pike, Little Hayfield. Been a while, but I love it.

And, for memories alone, The Jolly Sailor, Davenport.

Snigletrack
    Free Member

OK, sorry Captain… I love the Black Bull in Fulwood, Preston. The food’s shite, the beer’s expensive and the service is appalling.

But it’s chock-full of quality tail on a Friday night!

Snigle
    :o)

snaps
    Free Member

I was impressed with The Old Bell Inn in Edinburgh when we ate there last year – couldn’t fault the place for food, beer, layout, just felt like a good place. http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=106063

nickc

The Carriers Arms in Watlington. It’s a backwater, grotty falling down ramble full of Inbred local farmers.

Serves great beer, they don’t care if you’re head to toe in muck, and you can still get a home made ham roll for £1.50.

geoffj

King’s Wark – on the Shore in Leith
    The Shore – on the Shore in Leith
    Black Bull – Beaumaris
    The LIverpool Arms – Menai Bridge
    Bankfoot Inn – Bankfoot
    The Strawbury Duck – Entwistle (near Bolton & Blackburn)
    The Station Inn – Oxenholme
    Hawkshead Brewery – Stavely (not really a pub but very good all the same)

binners

Jacksons Boat. The start and finish of our local night rides.

They’ll serve us even when we arrive back at 30 seconds to eleven.
    Theres a great beer garden in the summer
    If you fancied experimenting with taking it up the garry, you merely need to pop in the bushes over the bridge. Ask Hora

hora
    Free Member

The only good thing going for Jacksons boat is allowing dogs into the bar!

Head of Steam – Huddersfield train station (they now have Deuchars ontap!)
    The Buffetbar – Stalybridge train station

and…
    http://www.igougo.com/entertainment-reviews-b7023-Edinburgh-Barony_Bar.html

chakaping
    Free Member

The Salisbury in Harringay.

Stunning Victorian building that’s been well restored, good whiskies and beers, genuinely local and mixed clientele (as it’s miles from a tube station), late opening, great jukebox.

Really miss having such a good local.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bitter End or 1761 in Cockermouth
    Bank Tavern Keswick

Little Creatures Fremantle

dooosuk
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    ….

The Peveril in the Peak, Manchester city centre. Is it still there?
    ….

Yes it is…and by the looks of it, it won’t have changed since you last visited 🙂

lunge

The Waggon and Horses, Halesowen – more real ale than you shake a beard at, a proper “no nonsense” pub
    The Vine, Vine Lane, Clent – goody hearty food, good company and do not bat an eye lid when you walk in covered in mud
    The Exchange, Derby – Anywhere they serve good beer with cheese is good enough for me

hora
    Free Member

The Peveril in the Peak- Love it there. Its not the beer thats the attraction though.

Anyone been to that downstairs old public toilet further up the road from there?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese – Fleet Street

Proper old pub that hasn’t really changed since Dr Johnson drank there

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i love pubs i do.

Favourites in Glasgow
    Tennants
    Lis More
    the Doublet
    the Landsdowne
    Usige Beatha
    the Halt
    McPhabs
    Rab Ha’s

djglover
    Free Member

problem with the cheshire cheese, is that the beer is crap, so it couldn’t possibly feature in a good pub guide

IanMunro
    Free Member

The John Bunyan, Coleman Green.
    Mainly because I live next to it 🙂

naokfreek
    Free Member

Red Lion – Ealing, finest Fullers pub in London that I know of

Aye, a fine pub indeed.

Also…The Ealing Park Tavern, a free house, good ale changed every week and excellent food.

The Duke of Sussex, much the same but in chiswick.

llama

I like the bell in bath which is, although rather studenty, cheap and pretty unique

IHN

Anyone been to that downstairs old public toilet further up the road from there?

The Temple of Convenience? Yup, again, years ago. The one round the corner from the Beeb on Oxford Road (Jabez Clegg?) is/was good too.

How could I forget – The Springvale Beer Engine in Sheffield. Again, more for the memories than the beer.

chakaping
    Free Member

Usige Beatha

Ooh yes, I really liked it there.

Drac

White Lion, Ambleside – Fantastic food, great portions, nice beer and don’t serve shandy drinkers.

zokes
    Free Member

Black Bull – Beaumaris
    The LIverpool Arms – Menai Bridge
    Bankfoot Inn – Bankfoot
    The Strawbury Duck – Entwistle (near Bolton & Blackburn)
    The Station Inn – Oxenholme
    Hawkshead Brewery – Stavely (not really a pub but very good all the same)

You been following me around, goeffj?

corroded
    Free Member

My local (ish), the Effra in Brixton – for the live reggae or jazz rather than the beer
    The Market Porter in Borough for the beer
    The Bookbinders in Oxford to hide from the tourists

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘PUBS!’ is closed to new replies.