Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Pubs getting rid of glasses & replacing them with plastics?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jesus Christ was a wine drinker CaptJon.

clubber
    Free Member

Makes note to self that if I ever open a bar/pub, ensure that glasses are all plastic to ensure that TJ never drinks there.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If I have to pay a bit more for my supermarket beer it would be a small price indeed if it stopped underage drinkers getting rat-arsed out on the street.

If you think making a minimum price per unit would stop kids getting rat-arsed on your street you're completely delusional. When I was a teenage kid beer was considerably more expensive (in relative terms, 80p a can or so) than it is now, I got a fiver a week "pocket money" and could only afford to go drinking every 2nd or 3rd weekend (not that drinking was ever a big interest of mine), but I still did it. These days it's not uncommon to hear teenagers, even in the most poor and run down areas, getting £10 and £20 a week, beer has stayed approximately the same price which makes it overall more affordable. To match the relative prices of when I was a kid you'd need to increase the costs to everyone else by fairly vast numbers, thus penalising the responsible.

takisawa2

I had a beer glass smashed into my face once.
    Still have the scars.
    Nasty thing a beer glass.
    And this was an old fashioned "jug" type rather than the more common "vase" type that tend to smash into smaller, sharper bits.
    The judge told the **** who did it he made no distinction between a knife & a glass, & jailed him for 4 years.

I can see the benefits of plastic but beer tastes bloody horrible from platic.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As long as these plastic horrors are restricted to night clubs and city centre chav bars I have no problem

This is my view – bars with a history should have to comply.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scotland will be going to a minimum price per unit of alcohol soon – and an end to cheap drink promotions. It will be interesting how it works.

As for the cheapness of alcohol – it is loads cheaper than when I was a kid. Frosty Jacks or white lightening cider is very strong and cheap – 20p a unit or something similar. Pished as a newt for a couple of quid.

BoardinBob

This has been the law in Glasgow for late night venues since the start of the year. They must use toughened glass which shatters like a windscreen or decant stuff into plastic tumblers

binners

OI! You looking at my bird?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it is loads cheaper than when I was a kid.

Ditto. I don't think I've seen a meths drinker since I was a kid ……….. a truly tragic sight imo.

porterclough
    Free Member

Will wine glasses be plastic as well I wonder?

Actually as long as they only put lager in plastic and beer that tastes of something in glass then everyone should be happy.

Pook

I would walk straight out of a pub that offered me beer in a plastic without paying.

If any pub offered me beer without paying, either in a glass or a plastic pint, I'd be rather more inclined to stay…..

😀

aracer
    Free Member

Actually as long as they only put lager in plastic and beer that tastes of something in glass then everyone should be happy.

That sounds the best suggestion yet. Would be interesting to collect stats on the previous contents of glasses used to attack people with – anybody like to guess the proportion which contained something other than gassy tasteless lager?

Nick

Anyone else still insist on a dimpled glass? I think beer looks great in one, plus I like the handle.

Oggles
    Free Member

An interesting short read about designing plastic pint glasses that people would be happy to use. Not just the cheapo ones that end up on the nightclub floor.
    Core 77: Designing A a successful pint glass

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Morons will just find something else to assault each other with.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I prefer glass personally.

I read the article in the Times in detail. The pubs prefer glass because the plastic has a shorter working life, therefore they cost more in the long run (and actual beer tastes horrible out of plasitc), and the general consensus of the group designing it was that a "safety glass" approach would be the best route to explore, as it's less dangerous and has no adverse effect on the taste of beer.

However I agree that bars with a history of glassings should be forced to use plastic as a temporary measure until this new glass is brought in, and whilst there is no actual evidence it's probably reasonable to assume it's not beer drinkers who do the glassing. Rather it's the chavy lager louts, though again there is little evidence either way.

aracer
    Free Member

Rather it's the chavy lager louts, though again there is little evidence either way.

Only because nobody's looked. Where would I get funding for such a study?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Pubs getting rid of glasses & replacing them with plastics?’ is closed to new replies.