Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Public sector pay – what happens next?
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

You should move down South where the average earnings per person in the English NHS was £31,300 in the 12 months to December 2016.

Of course in making this point, sbob managed not to point out that just two lines later in his source (This one perchance?) that the basic pay average in the NHS in that same period was actually £26,721. Yes that is over £1000 below the national average wage for that period (as per ONS figures) Yes later in the text (table 3 sbob) it confirms that this figure of £31300 includes weekends nights on calls, Christmas, overtime and ‘London Weighting’ etc and both figures encapsulate everyone from porters to consultants and chief execs.

Employee surveys also continually show a significant amount of unpaid overtime for those supposedly paid by the hour. For me that is easily 4-5 hours a week most weeks.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Employee surveys also continually show a significant amount of unpaid overtime for those supposedly paid by the hour. For me that is easily 4-5 hours a week most weeks.

Not trying to be combative but why do you do the overtime or put up with it? I am not going to lie my company expects similar from us but when they stopped cost of living pay rises 4 years ago everyone not getting rises or bonus has stopped.

As one of the union guys said by doing unpaid work you are not only enabling the problem to continue but you are telling the employer it is acceptable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not trying to be combative but why do you do the overtime or put up with it?

The general reasons tend to be..
    If you don’t do it then tomorrow will be worse
    Stuff needs doing if you don’t nobody will – especially in healthcare
    They won’t/can’t pay but people will suffer if you don’t

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julianwilson
    Free Member

Why do overtime or put up with it?
    Aaaaah, well when you have a professional moral and legal duty to, it’s kind of hard sometimes to take that stance and keep your job.
    Just as in the police and the armed forces, it is technically possible not only to be sacked but also imprisoned for just downing tools and walking off given the wrong set of circumstances.
    Of course not all unpaid overtime is totally life and death (though in my career to date there are easily 100 cases where it would have been) but it is real people with real lives and real problems you are leaving at the end of the day.

sbob
    Free Member

We know NHS staff work weekends et cetera. It is disingenuous to talk of these things without mentioning the remuneration received.

See also junior doctors quoting basic pay only, firefighters quoting net pay et cetera.

I’m not trying to deceive, you haven’t caught me out, I’m just trying to point out tactics that are damaging to your cause.

firestarter
    Free Member

Sbob we get 29442 before anything at all is taken off. In 2002 the government tasked a team to work out what we should be on, they even paid them to do it. The conclusion was we should be on 35k, again this was in 2002. The government then completely ignored their own initiated study and fobbed us off. Needless to say 15 years later and still being on under 30k is crap. Lucky for me i also get to do it for an extra 8 years and have my pension shafted to boot. Great stuff 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

We know NHS staff work weekends et cetera. It is disingenuous to talk of these things without mentioning the remuneration received.

See also junior doctors quoting basic pay only, firefighters quoting net pay et cetera.
    I’m not trying to deceive, you haven’t caught me out, I’m just trying to point out tactics that are damaging to your cause.

Firefighters receive no renumeration whatsoever over the basic pay rate of 29442 for working weekends or nights.

julianwilson
    Free Member

And you are equally disingenuous to state an average wage without qualifying that it includes overtime, on call and a lifestyle that is quite different (and if you work nights, quite life-shortening) from the average worker elsewhere in world if employment.

Really if you want to challenge the junior doctors and fire service about disingenuous futures then you need to set a better example or have your own lazy referencing challenged.

anagallis_arvensis

Cornholio thats why we have massive nursing and teacher shortages.

tjagain

sbob – I was talking about what I am – a staff nurse as I stated. Salary range is £22000 to £28700. Thats for degree level trained and a responsibility that folk like you cannot imagine

National average wage is £28000 ish.

Yes a nurse will probably make 5-10% on top of that for weekends and night shift ( no extra pay for evenings)

Stillthe average nurse will make less than the national average wage. For responsibilities you cannot even imagine and a workload that would make you cry

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Public sector pay – what happens next?’ is closed to new replies.