Public sector pay – what happens next?

Home Forum Chat Forum Public sector pay – what happens next?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Public sector pay – what happens next?
  • Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Would that be the hugely increased chasm between rich and poor then Hurty?

Don’t worry. Theresa has raked at length about batting for the ‘just about managing’

And she’s not just talked about it! She’s put her money where her mouth is. She’s…… erm….. welll she’s….. erm ……. no…….

George massively cut corporation tax though. I’m sure that helped

The proposal about public sector pay has just put into focus how totally devoid of ideas this government is. It’s insulting!

While their energies are being expended exclusively on Brexit. Which is just going to make things ten times worse!

teamhurtmore

Would you like them to take the offer back?

jonnyboi

They are not. On the contrary the are better off than their private sector peers. Is it too much to ask a government to address this REAL inequality?

Why does private sector and public sector pay have to be linked? Tell me, who is the private sector peer to a professional nurse who’s been assaulted three times this year already?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Divide and rule

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Would you like them to take the offer back?

WOW! Is that your response. 😆

scruff

Every year I’ve had a pay increase in the NHS it’s come with a national insurance contribution rise, pretty much cancelling out any net increase. I think it was £2 a month extra last year I ended up with.

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

@scruff, sounds very similar to the militaries woes. **** politicians.

teamhurtmore

No it’s a question – the ? should have been a give away – to the notion that a pay rise is insulting

Why does private sector and public sector pay have to be linked

Hmmm….

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

No it’s a question – the ? should have been a give away – to the notion that a pay rise is insulting

It was not a question. It’s like something I say to my kids if they turn up their tea.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

We’re going to take a small minority of you and give you a pay cut – on top of the seven you’ve already had – that’s not as bad as the rest of them are getting

Not insulting?

But as has been said many times you can’t compare private to public. Teaching, nursing, fire and police services, armed forces.

For myself my take home (teaching Scotland) pay is actually less than 7 years ago. With increases in pension payments and professional body subscriptions.

Is my pay ok? Yes. Has it kept up with the mess education has become? No. Is it better than private sector doing same job? No when I was private sector doing same job I was paid 6%more than in public sector.

Who is taking home the big increases if not people here?

teamhurtmore

IIt’s like something I say to my kids if they turn up their tea.

I understand your response then 😉

teamhurtmore

Has it kept up with the mess education has become?

In Scotland – I thought education was a priority

deepreddave

Divide and conquer whilst encouraging the gap between the haves and have nots widens.

Once the bottom of the pay range is the rate for the job then it’ll be cheaper to privatise. Just saying.

TheBrick

MY company i scrap for pay rises, but industry in general has done well, so its my fault for not swapping jobs.

That’s the difference with public vs private sector work. In the private sector you can earn more and increase your wadges usually most effectively by moving employers if your company is shit, usually well above ROI. If you’re public sector worker you don’t have that option.

Is it better than private sector doing same job? No

Indeed every teacher I know who has left state to go private has said they got a pay rise somewhere between a bit and quite a lot, they get the same pension too.

Bugger, I was thinking about you essel, assuming you were a beneficiary. Sorry to hear that

Cheers THM, appreciated. Typical of Mrs EGF to go & catch a bad dose of bowel cancer & me to get dismissed for looking after her. (as well as having my own ‘head up arse’ problems)

TBH I’m not missing the public sector (HMPS) one bit & prison staff will never actually be paid their worth.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Sorry to hear that Essel but they probably did you a favour in the long run.

teamhurtmore

Sorry to hear that and v best wishes to you both

I do remember you not enjoying your job though

Thanks Drac & THM, I really feel for my (ex) colleagues in the Prison Service, a thankless, undervalued, underestimated, secret, very dangerous, stressful to the max, underpaid, understaffed job. (mainly thanks to Grayling, the prick)
    It seems that for quite some time I’ve been the only prison officer on this forum who has had actual 1st hand experience of life (& death) on a residential unit in a jail.

If anyone on here has more experience & claims to deny that prison staff at current staffing levels shouldn’t be all on 40k+, then speak up.

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

@esselgruntfuttock. I wholeheardtly agree, at least with my job they give me a weapon to defend myself from violent attack.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Absolutely Essel I’ve experienced what you deal with but on a very small level of course when attending incidents in prisons. What they have done to the prison service since privatising is disgusting.

oldmanmtb

I work in and around the public sector a lot and i am always amazed how little some folks get paid then gobsmacked by the mega salarys that some are on.

We scrapped annual pay rises in our business this year and replaced it with a profit share, I was starting to worry that our base salary level was getting quite high. The team is happy with this as they will get 4 × as much from the profit share than a 3% pay rise. This is not something that can be done in the private sector. We have inflation proofed the profit share by raising the percentage in line with inflation. I think a lot more businesses need to link performance to employee income

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

So should they reject the offer or T(H)M take it back…
    Well firstly as posted above is this actually funded with new money? No by the looks of it so you need to cut to give people a below inflation pay rise cut.
    lets hope none of these people want to buy a house
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/18/uk-house-prices-rise-5-percent
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jun/13/house-price-inflation-six-month-high-ons

cornholio98

There has been a 6 year pay freeze at my work… I am doing better than some having moved jobs but many people are 10-15% down compared to inflation…

People are starting to move on now so either the salaries will rise or the company will cease to trade (or will move more of the operations outside of the U.K.)

Just need for an MP to come up with the idea of outsourcing the civil service to India…

qwerty

By the people for the people

qwerty

Buy the people floor the people

qwerty

Ooops, double post.

thegreatape

EGF – I’m still keeping an eye on that house for you in case it ever comes up for sale 😉 who knows what the future holds!

We aren’t getting a pay rise – we are getting 1% when inflation is at 2.9%, and we are getting a 1% bonus to be payed over a year, is taxable and calculated using last year’s pay scales. The bonus is to come from individual Forces existing budgets, so the exercise hasn’t cost the Government a penny.

I’m not knocking the extra money (about £450 gross for me and the same for my wife) but rest assured that every copper in the business knows it is a cynical headline grabbing ploy by the Conservatives and there is not an ounce of good will earned by this measure.

It may even save the govt money, since they will get the 20% or whatever back as tax revenue from the million/couple of million pounds or so each force has to find in its budget to pay the 1% bonus-masquerading-as-a-rise.

thecaptain

Yeah a **** great offer.

“After years of low inflation and real-terms pay cuts, we’ve screwed up our one claim to fiscal competence in losing control of inflation so this year you’re getting higher inflation and another real-terms pay cut”

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Could I just ask the public sector workers – who there seem to be a few on here – do you think that there’s any appetite for strikes or other industrial action?

It seems like there’s a change of mood among the unions, but I don’t know as I don’t work in the public sector whether that translates. Len McCluskey is just itching for a fight I reckon, but then he always is! But other normally cooler heads seem to be suggesting this could be the straw that breaks the camels back

Personally, I think this has been very cynically done. Heavily hinting for about a year that the cap will be dropped, then coming up with this somewhat underwhelming proposal? I can understand the anger

Are we in for a winter of discontent then?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Could I just ask the public sector workers – who there seem to be a few on here – do you think that there’s any appetite for strikes or other industrial action?

Very realistic we already had NHS areas striking the last few years.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

No not really. I lost a lot of money 2002/3. Plan is just stick to our role map and refuse to do anything outwith that also to remove all goodwill towards the employers.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Im sort of public sector – university on charity grant, science has always had crap pay & short contracts but weve been on 1% for the last few years and it is hurting.

Im not sure if there would be a strike here, but work with jr doctors whom, even the tory fanboy among thems hate Jeremy Hunt with a passion, mostly because of the lies he has repeatedly said abou their jobs- I wouldnt be surprised if they and nurses etc were to strike,
    also friends with a few police and they range from apathetic, to apoplectic with the government- remarkable to see one of my most right-wing uni mates now retweeting Corbyn stuff!

P-Jay

Not me, but there’s zero chance my wife would strike, not because she doesn’t believe in it, but because she cares about the people she cares for. She primarily treats people in their homes in the last weeks / days of their lives to ensure they’re as comfortable and pain free as possible. There wouldn’t be nearly enough agency nurses who have enough experience to cover them.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Personally, no. I’d never strike but that’s just my viewpoint.
    From speaking to colleagues the past few days there’s definitely a feeling from a lot of them that striking is the only way they will get anywhere with disputes regarding wages.
    Strangely enough though one guy I work with was involved in the ambulance service dispute in the 80’s and was on strike for the best part of 6 months. As far as he’s concerned any strikes like they’re talking about now would be pointless and a waste of time as when they went out for 6 months it didn’t make any difference so a single day would be even less effective!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I recall the 1989 disputed yup dragged out for 6 months with little result, the workload was vastly different then a huge amount of lives would be put at risk now compared to then.

Nico

So if you want a pay rise, leave the office stationary where it is…

Isn’t that a tautology?

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

We’ve been out six times already since 2010. 5% increase in hours, 0% pay rises and worsened conditions/pensions will do that.

We have a working time agreement it was always a basis that give and take worked from.

Some senior idiot forced the whole staff in for 3hrs last evening (when volunteers would have covered it) quoting the wta. They are about to find a lot of good will has gone and wta works two ways.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.