Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Public marriage proposals
  • HughStew

Having seen Is this the most elaborate marriage proposal ever?, who else thinks that ostentatious public proposals are rather awful. The pressure for the proposee/victim to say yes must be enormous, I wonder how many times the answer has been “yes” then a bit later “no” in private.

Rich_s

+1

Oh, this cropped up on my instawebbook feed recently. I mean, FFS.

tomhoward

A former colleagues now husband organised all their friends and family to come and watch a flash mob sing the proposal. Which then went on Facebook for everyone else.

Given how shy she was, I’m amazed she said yes, then followed through with it…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BoardinBob

Up there with gender reveal parties.

All involved deserve an axe to the face

robowns
    Free Member

They’re the worst. I proposed to my girlfriend on a walk near Leith Hill fields about two months ago and purposefully waited for walkers to go by to be alone. Got a very muddy knee.

robowns
    Free Member

Up there with gender reveal parties.

Also the worst.

breadcrumb

My now wife made it very clear that if I ever got round to proposing not to do it in front of anyone.

I decided to pop the question on a trip to NYC. On getting to the top of the Empire State Building I realized it was quite busy. Waited until the next morning as we wandered round (largely quiet) Central Park. She said yes then told me to get up as someone was nearby!

MoreCashThanDash

Depends on the couple. Was at a concert on Boxing Day when the singer who had been accompanying them was called back onstage at the end to receive a gift of thanks – usually flowers at these events.

She came back on stage, her boyfriend in the band greeted her, got down on one knee, produced the ring and 500 people in the audience thought “Ooh! Thank **** she said yes!”

They seemed very happy, good luck to them.

I’ve never actually proposed to MrsMC, and we’ve been married 18 years this year. Long story….

HughStew

Glad I’m not the only one. I suppose if you know she, or he, is going to say yes and is comfortable being the centre of attention then fine. I proposed to my wife on top of the Sugarloaf, the Welsh one not S. Africa, with no-one else around, mainly because it was cold, windy and rainy.

kilo

Peak STW, a thread about the ridiculousness of foisting your proposal on the public has people regurgitating their proposals

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ Bob, harsh!*

* can we use your axe for ‘baby showerists’ anaw? 😂

bikebouy
    Free Member

ostentatious public proposals are rather awful

They are, I’ve witnessed 2 from immediate friends. Both TBF were spontaneous, but the gushing and fawning when those around realised what was going on was vom inducing. Both went through with it, ones still married, the other divorced.
    The parties I can’t remember, so it’s all just history and I’m sure it’s still a tainted history for the divorced couple.

MartynS

I was flying back from cork, we should have been going to Manchester, but easyJet cancelled the flight, do we went an hour late to east mids.

So I’m working, having had a really long day and I’m ending up in completely the wrong place with a two hour bus transfer to look forward to .

what I didn’t need was being dragged (with the rest of the flight) into the proposal via the PA system on the aircraft.

it was cringey and horrid..!!!

kayak23

They’re the worst. I proposed to my girlfriend on a walk near Leith Hill fields about two months ago and purposefully waited for walkers to go by to be alone. Got a very muddy knee.

Did she say yes or no?

Congratulations*

Commiserations*

*Delete as applicable.

MoreCashThanDash

This seems to be much more about our reactions to these, rather than whether it’s the right thing for the couple involved.

But gender reveal parties – OMFG! Ours for our two were just quiet, intimate affairs, just the two of us and the staff in the delivery suite, who were loving the apparently rare fact that we didn’t know in advance what we were having

kimbers

In the dark, after chucking out time, in the middle of a storm, in the ruins of Aberystwyth castle, no other mucker was daft enough to be around then, so as anonymous as possible

I still think it was an awesome time & place, 10 years on, my wife still thinks I’m a ****

garage-dweller

Am I reading this right a gender reveal party is to tell people whether you had a boy or girl baby!?
    We have parties for that now? I feel so old (and I’m really not THAT old, well not compared to some of you anyway).

Public proposal, well I wouldn’t but each to their own if they don’t interrupt my dinner. For us it was quiet corner of Kirstenbosch Gardens. Original plan was top of Table Mountain but the endless stream of (other) tourists was totally off-putting. Kirstenbosch the next day was altogether a much more beautiful place to do so and 9 years later we got to take a picture of the two of us and our two boys all sat on the same bench.

Suddenly seems dusty in here 🙂

sirromj

Gender reveal parties & coming out parties… It’s not what you think.

thegreatape
    Free Member

she said yes, then followed through with it…

It’s bad enough to do it when you’re by yourself in your own home, but in public, in front of a mob, and on Facebook – how do you ever live that down?

thegreatape
    Free Member

When I proposed to my wife it was in private, which is a good thing as I only had pants on. I’d gone to the trouble of making her breakfast in bed, and as I knelt down at the side of the bed I kicked a glass of orange juice over on the new carpet. Undeterred, I asked the question, to which she replied “Yes…..Have you washed those strawberries?” (I hadn’t). Start as you mean to go on….

Cougar

I think public proposals are well and good when you already know the answer.

Am I reading this right a gender reveal party is to tell people whether you had a boy or girl baby!?

Eh…. no?

slackalice
    Free Member

Surely a gender reveal party is a new thing where an individual or individuals let friends, family and all and sundry WGAS know that they have decided they are one or more of the 76 and counting gender types and that from now on are to be referred to as a them?

tonyg2003

I was a transatlantic flight a few years ago when a guy proposed to his partner over the PA. He read out a really long poem and took ages to pop the question I was thinking she should have said no, he was sounded so boring! Also awkward if she did say no. Next to the person for 5hrs on a flight? I did wonder afterwards if he asked her in flight so she nowhere to go?

spawnofyorkshire

My sister knew a couple where he proposed at the top of the Eiffel tower, he was facing out over a beautiful view of Paris, she was looking back at a crap tonne of expectant tourists.
    She did say no

andy5390

Lol @ Bob, harsh!*

* can we use your axe for ‘baby showerists’ anaw?

And also for School Prom-ists please

jamj1974

Bugger it @HughStew!  I was planning a massive surprise for you and now you have gone and spoilt it!  😡😡😡

Last time there wasn’t enough fuss for your birthday and this time a public display of our love is too much!

Make your mind up!

funkmasterp

I was a transatlantic flight a few years ago

Did you throw a coming out party for this?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Public marriage proposals’ is closed to new replies.