• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Psychometric Tests in a job interview.. anyone got any advice??
  • jacksouth
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview coming up with Aldi and it comes with a verbal and numerical test. Has anyone done these kind of tests before? Can you offer any advice?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find out what the tests are and do the practice ones, the ones we use let you do a practice before you start so you can get the format right. Work out the way they work, have a calculator, pen and paper there, make sure you can work to time and if there are multiple questions per time slot make sure you can move on if you don’t get it.

nastybobby
    Free Member

Remember Aldi’s 3 core values and what they mean, if you haven’t already, when you’re answering and you won’t go far wrong:

CONSISTENCY
    Leads to reliability. We mean what we say. We are consistent in our dealings with people, product, price and all other aspects of our day-to-day professional life.

SIMPLICITY
    Creates efficiency, clarity and clear orientation within our organization as well as for our customers.

RESPONSIBILITY
    Stands for our commitment towards our people, customers, partners and the environment. It also includes principles such as fairness, honesty, openness, service orientation and friendliness.

Good Luck.

Fatboy35

If its a true psychometric test just be honest, if you don’t meet their criteria then you probably won’t like the job anyway.
    However, as nastybobby points out, knowing the core values can help in an interview, it may serve to confuse your natural tendencies when answering the psychometric questions but you will be fine/it will help with the general attitude questions.
    If you don’t normally do general arithmetic or answer specific questions it is a good idea to practice.
    Above all be yourself, sell you and what you bring to the table.
    Good luck.

jacksouth
    Free Member

Thanks Fatboy! Thing is I can’t be myself yet as the first interview stage is these tests, then the next stage (if I get through!) is the interview!
    I haven’t done maths like this for a lot of years so I’m going to get a decent bit of practice in.
    I did find some good resources this evening so reckon I can improve a fair bit before the assessment. If you fancy trying some practice questions you can take a look here, https://practicereasoningtests.com/psychometric-tests.
    Some of the maths questions like percentages/ratios, etc are more confusing than you expect, but as you say, maybe it’s just a matter of practice to get perfect.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Depends what the tests actually are. Some test abilities, some aptitudes, some traits. In theory it isn’t possible to practice the latter two because of the way they are constructed and what they measure. The first kind you can, as you are.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The op states that they include verbal and numerical reasoning. You can’t ‘game’ these tests; they’re designed to be standardised. Best advice I can offer is not to worry (too much). They aren’t going to be looking for genius level IQs so the test will just be to identify the outliers.

Personality based assessments are slightly different as there’s no right or wrong answer and you can’t use these as the sole basis for a hiring decision. They’re very accurate but can only be used to inform other steps and processes.

DrJ

As above – do the practice tests – any you are given and any you can find out N the Internet. Also – sounds basic but if you can’t get it quickly, move on. Your brain will be working on it in the background so it will be easier when you come back to it.

Kryton57

I’d echo what geetee72 said, but I add that whatever the outcome ask for the results. These tests do reveal your personality and personality traits, and are good for you to understand yourself and potential future job roles which may suit you, but also give you some fundamentals to work on should you want to make changes to a conflicting role.

dissonance

These tests do reveal your personality and personality traits

Not necessarily.
    a)most of those which try to do this eg Myers-Briggs and the like are, to put it politely, pseudo psychology.
    b)Psychometric tests fall into two categories. dribble aka personality tests and aptitude tests. Latter are more sensible and will be testing something semi sensible and repeatable eg maths. I say semi sensible because they do have the flaw you can prepare for them and improve.

So as per others google verbal/numeric aptitude tests and then start doing all the sample ones you can find.

poah
    Free Member

probably just testing your ability to read and count. Got the same thing when I had an interview for Sainsbury’s. I don’t think they pay much attention to them though given most can’t seem to read or count.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Look out for bad practice. The results of your psychometric and aptitude tests should not be used as a decision on your suitability In themselves. They are meant as a basis for discussion.

The interview may be a ‘Competency-based Interview’ where examples of your past interactions in situations that relate to the parameters of the job for which you are applying, are probed. Again, in a one-to-one feedback situation.

If none of this happens, you should complain.

woffle
    Free Member

Verbal / logical / mathematical reasoning – you can’t ‘game’ them but as said above ^^ I’d agree that practice will skew them heavily in your favour the more you can do. So they’re relatively flawed unless they’re looking for a standard ‘baseline’ that’s a hard requirement. Leaving aside any latent ability with maths etc, being used to the mechanics of how these tests work will also minimise the effects of interface error (ie. clicking the wrong button by mistake).

FWIW someone going away and preparing for interview by practising would only be a positive in my book.

I wouldn’t stress about them too much.

geetee1972
    Free Member

a)most of those which try to do this eg Myers-Briggs and the like are, to put it politely, pseudo psychology.

Myers Briggs isn’t remotely a ‘personality profiling’ tool as you correctly point out but…

Psychometric tests fall into two categories. dribble aka personality tests

Personality tests per se are not dribble, they’re highly robust, enough for the data to be used in courts of law around the world. Not all tests are created equally of course and the data is only as good as the clinical psychologists ability to interpret the it (in conjunction with knowing the individual).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personality tests per se are not dribble, they’re highly robust, enough for the data to be used in courts of law around the world. Not all tests are created equally of course and the data is only as good as the clinical psychologists ability to interpret the it (in conjunction with knowing the individual).

And this is not one of those situations. Box tick, percentile graph if there is any personality at all.

dissonance

Personality tests per se are not dribble, they’re highly robust, enough for the data to be used in courts of law around the world.

polygraphs are also allowed in some courts. That a court accepts something doesnt necessarily reflect actual reality.

Not all tests are created equally of course and the data is only as good as the clinical psychologists ability

Okay. Granted. Certain tests when run by a professional may be of some use. However I wasnt bothering about them since the chances of the average person coming across them in a job scenario is basically zero since they aint exactly cheap to do. Maybe senior staff or, for government, sensitive/dangerous roles.The normal personality tests used are junk.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Psychometric Tests in a job interview.. anyone got any advice??’ is closed to new replies.