• This topic has 34 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Psyched out by climbs (Cycle Show content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you get psyched out by big climbs/rides?

The presenter is claiming to be for the Stelvio pass, but having run 150 miles across the sahara, and being an experienced cyclist, he’s fit enough and bound to make it up.

Seems to me once you’ve done a few decently long rides, you can pretty much finish anything (reasonable) on a bike…I mean you just have to sit and keep pedalling, have a few breaks if you need to?

Drac

Some people get psyched out by descents, tree routes and many other things. Others don’t.

mt
    Free Member

the programme is crap tonight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Serious Q tho. A pal recently did her first half marathon, having run 10 miles a few times, but was nervous…as if something would happen between mile 10 and 13 that would stop her.

WTF?

wallop

I get more scared of going up than going down – especially on a road bike. Don’t want to get into that “oh no, it’s too steep…. Can’t… carry… on… Can’t unclip either” moments.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m more of a wuss coming down – scared of heights – and the Stelvio looks an awesome climb.

Is there an opposite of an uplift service?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s Campagnolo, not Campanolla you moronic asshats!

And breathe….

Until the end…”Aren’t road bikes so so sexy? Take note mountain bikes”.

Kill….Kill…..KILL!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Did Hayles have a minor hissy when he lost the rollapaluzza?

Garry_Lager

I think a big ride out in the highlands (say) does make the balls shrink a wee bit. Just temporarily, like when you ride out from Linn of Dee and see the big mountains and get that sense of space. More adrenaline than anything else, once you’re into the ride the testes quickly return to a globular normality. But there’s a definite retraction as you roll down the trail for the first time.

What it’s all about really.

butcher

Furthermore, why was it filmed in someone’s garden?

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteDid Hayles have a minor hissy when he lost the rollapaluzza?[/quote]

I don’t think that Junior cyclo cross champ was human though so it didn’t count in my eyes

cynic-al
    Free Member

he was ginger, right enough.

eyerideit
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    I’m more of a wuss coming down – scared of heights – and the Stelvio looks an awesome climb.

Is there an opposite of an uplift service?

It’s called a taxi 😉

The location was a funny one this week, it was like in some back office then in the garden – weird. Maybe they fell out with Look mum no hands.

As of for Als Q, it might be something to do with the sheer enormity of the task – you always build things up in your head to be much bigger than they actually are.

Personally I’d love to try a climb like that, just to see if I could do it. I’d probably have the ‘Oh no, I can’t…’ half way up then get over myself and finish the job.

Anxiety, nerves, confidence, paranoia, self esteem (lack off) must all play a part.

eyerideit
    Free Member

andypaul99 – Member

I don’t think that Junior cyclo cross champ was human though so it didn’t count in my eyes

I thought he was wearing mascara.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He?

😉

birky
    Free Member

I did the east side of the Stelvio from Prato in 2005 (it was the west side from Bormio on the prog).
    Tried again this year but had to give up after 12 miles and 4200ft of climbing 🙁
    Not nearly fit enough and too overweight. 😳

dirtyrider
    Free Member

can anyone ID the starry cycle jersey behind the presenters?

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Think it was filmed at a hotel near the Tour of Britain start? Presenter mentioned it early on in show.

sambob
    Free Member

Never get psyched out by climbs, I’m fairly good at just keeping on pedalling. Got a bit nervous at the top of a couple of descents in the Alps the other week, but only after I’d fallen of a cliff slightly…

stanfree
    Free Member

I think the cyclocross dude was a replicant either that or Ivan Drago’s son. The Stelvio pass segment was really good and I think the show after a bad start ended on a high note.

dawson

I thought it was pretty good tonight

+1
    – he looked well pissed off! – the presenter looked to him for a comment, but realised he wasn’t going to get one – I guess Hayles still has a strong competitive streak.

My misses also commented that she thought all the pro-riders that were interviewed looked grumpy!

dasilva
    Free Member

dirtyrider: probably one of these http://www.ananichoola.co.uk/syr/star-jersey-black-8-10/

Its a bit of a love-in is the cycleshow. Still, its progress.

jedi

so funny watching my old mate darren on the stelvio 🙂

stevie750

I went up stelvio once on a bike and it was amazing.
    There was a ducati press junket going on at the top and I parked my bike beside them, it then started to piss oil out of the breather pipe. They where not impressed.
    Lovely part of the world

mudshark
    Free Member

I did my first proper climbing earlier this year in the Pyrenees, wasn’t worried about the climbs but was unsure how I’d cope with the long descents with switchbacks and steep mountain sides to fall down – I have issues with heights…. The Tourmalet and Aubisque were fantastic but descending the Hautacam in the rain caused me to wimper a little.

Hareydan
    Free Member

Am I the only person who thought that the look on Hayles’s face was done with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek? (Not literally) 😉

eyerideit
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    He?

What it a he or she?

it’z related to the boy from space, innit

kcr
    Free Member

Come on, Hayles was obviously mugging for the camera at the end.

Missed the Stelvio bit, but I agree that with a bit of experience and a realistic view of their abilities, most people would be capable of pacing themselves to complete that sort of ride. I think relatively few people actually psyche themselves out of challenge events and fail to finish. They might take a bit longer, but get there in the end. It’s more likely to be a cause of underperforming in a competitive situation. Lots of people psyche themselves out about climbs in road racing, for example.

Stelvio is a fantastic climb, by the way. I’ve done it on the touring bike with camping kit, which was a bit of a grind, but with a triple I knew I would eventually get there.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I saw it as a mock sulk from Rob. So, didn’t he say Atherton won the sprint challenge overall? Shame they couldn’t convince Cav to have a go. As for the climb, I think I could get up that but as they said, think about your gearing. My compact triple with 11-34 cassette should do the trick.

aP
    Free Member

At a funeral I was at yesterday, the main reading was from the Richard Moore article on the Stelvio and how the descent is the hard part. We’ll be riding the Stevio next June – and we’ll remember Nick

cooie

I saw it as a mock sulk from Rob

+1

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought it was dramatic licence from the presenter to add a bit of “will he won’t he” jeopardy. He held his HR at ~170 for the whole climb and managed to talk, finished it and dropped the local “oh I havent got my climbing legs on today” guide. I assume the “150 mile desert run” he did in April was the Marathon de Sables, pretty bloody hardcore (5 marathons in 6 days in the Moroccan Sahara) and hardly likely that a finisher in that would get psyched out by a 90min road climb…

glenh
    Free Member

Surely any reasonably fit cyclist can get up the Stelvio? Like most of those big alpine passes it never gets above 10%. What is there to get psyched out about?
    As long as you sit there and keep pedaling for and hour or two, then you’ll get to the top.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup glenh & CTM, my thoughts exactly.

Interesting the difference in BPM, 170+ vs 130 for the pro.

And LOL at the tubby guide…

EDIT and sorry fopr your loss aP, I’m sure I encountered Nick in some capacity my legal days.

D0NK

Do you get psyched out by big climbs/rides?

not normally no, was apprehensive about kielder and I’m supposed to be doing the fred whitton route (not the event) at some point, bit worried about that but both of those are quite a bit beyond my usual long rides and waaaaay out of my comfort zone. If I had a film and support crew following me round I can’t imagine I’d be worried much.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Psyched out by climbs (Cycle Show content)’ is closed to new replies.