Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • PSV drivers …….. anyone do it for a living ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thinking about retraining for PSV, totally fed up with working in shitty factories
    Dont fancy driving buses , would prefer coaches , minibuses etc
    anyone do it for a living ?

project
    Free Member

Itas all down to experience, a new coach can cost 250,000 pounds upwards,and can cause a considerable amount of damage.

I myself would love to drive a coach, but there are few openings available.

Seem to be lots for lorry drivers though.

I would imagine there's very few jobs available for novice coach drivers.
    I've heard £1000 is a typical cost for HGV lessons and test, it's probably about the same for a coach.
    That's a lot of money to put up front with little chance of a job at the end of it.

There's always bus driver vacancies.
    There's a high turnover of drivers. A few stick at it for life, a lot give it up after a while.

I know First have got their own instructors and examiners.
    They will put you through a course of lessons and your test and give you a job if you pass.
    The only drawback is that if you leave within a certain time, a year, I think, you have to pay back the cost.
    They will only train you on automatics as well, which may limit your job choices if you ever leave to try coach driving, although most modern coaches are automatic anyway.

Seem to be lots for lorry drivers though.

Is that the case again now ?
    It always used to be, but when I was working for a truck dealer a couple of years ago, we were losing work as transport companies and own fleets sold trucks and laid off drivers. There seemed to be a lot of experienced drivers looking for work.
    Have things picked up again then ?

Even when there was a shortage of drivers, everyone wanted drivers with at least two years experience.
    It was a common rant from people who had recently passed their test that despite the large number of jobs advertised, no one would take them on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘PSV drivers …….. anyone do it for a living ?’ is closed to new replies.