Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • P*s*ing contests
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

tjagain – I think we do have a few posters on here with major psychological issues that lead them to hate folk like me who reject their values

tjagain

leffeboy – unfortunately not – seriously. I thought a fair bit about that post, let it sit for a while before posting it and still managed to be inflammatory apparently without an inkling it could be construed as such.

I tend to( do others?) only to see what I mean not how it could be construed

I shall ponder that a bit more

scotroutes

That’s what Junkyard called “Druidhs First Rule of STW”.

If you always assume the poster wrote it with a smile on their face, you won’t go far wrong.

Really? In that case you should step away from the keyboard!

Cougar

If you always assume the poster wrote it with a smile on their face, you won’t go far wrong.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m certainly guilty of failing to follow that rule here. Must do better.

tjagain

Cougar = see leffeboys reaction to my post. Its a clear example of how what is meant as a thoughtful contribution to debate can be seen as something else altogether.

I was trying to unpick the motivations of people – not offend them – upon rereading it in the light of leffeboys post I can completely see what he means. I didn’t see that before I posted it dispite re reading it many times.

I think I shall have to go and sit in a corner with a dunces hat on!

leffeboy

@tj – your post was doing well until your last paragraph. That should have stayed in your head as saying it out loud was fighting talk 🙂 .

tjagain

Me now

funkmasterp

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m certainly guilty of failing to follow that rule here. Must do better.

I agree with this. Perhaps we should all take a leaf out of chewkw’ book and add Smileys to posts (did I just type that)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Most of the super, get the biscuits out, threads end up getting derailed and turn a bit surreal. All part of the charm of this place

This is what keeps me coming back.

I love a surrealist derailment.

Cougar

I love a surrealist derailment.

I think I’ve seen that in the Tate Modern.

RustySpanner

perchypanther
    Free Member

gordimhor

Is that the Flying Scotsman Perchy?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Flying Scotsman

😆

Cougar

TJ?

RustySpanner

scotroutes

Has the OP been reported for swear filter avoidance yet?

RustySpanner

?

perchypanther
    Free Member

teasel
    Free Member

You » Thanks for bringing that to our attention. That was unacceptable so I’ve now edited his post, and the subsequent one by Hob Nob which you completely failed to mention. Maybe like us you just didn’t see it?

See how easy that was? Just to tell us about things so that we can do something about it?

Me » I’d put money on the deletion and modification being the same mod. If so, why…?

You » Because you have a chip on your shoulder?

I don’t remember changing that to “unpleasant,” but my memory isn’t great and I do often prefer to edit posts rather than issue swear filter warnings (I “ain’t bothered by language” either, but them’s the rules) so it’s likely that was me. [/quote]

See, that first bit is very easy to read in an unnecessarily condescending fashion but I’m gonna put it down to it being me* and nothing you’ve deliberately added.

Like I wrote – I’m not offended so why would I report anything like that. I’ve pointed out where I was edited and someone else wasn’t. My edited post contained info that would’ve led the original mod to the post you’ve just edited but it didn’t – that’s kind of worrying that it was deleted without being properly read or understood. The fact you’ve now edited Boblo’s post has nowt to do with me so don’t try and imply I’ve reported a post when it clearly isn’t like that.

As for Hob Nob’s post – it was a quote. You’ve often left quotes of posts you’ve otherwise removed from existence so it wasn’t even on the radar as a post with the same content, though I put that down to going without saying but obviously not.

*Chip on my shoulder – don’t think so. But if you seriously lack the empathy to see it from my viewpoint as I’ve described it and not get a little, how did you put it, tin foil hat, then you probably shouldn’t be moderating a forum. You can continually try and make this a problem with me but it’s obvious there was a rationale behind my confusion.

But how do you handle that? Serious question, what would you do differently to what we’re already doing?* Tell me I’m doing it wrong and I’ll try and change it. I’m in mind here of the argument that motorists should spend a day on the roads on two wheels to find out what it’s like. It’s not easy to always do the right thing.

A serious post. Keep an eye on tags – “no one respond to his threads so he goes away exasperated” is a sentiment of a despicable person. Surely you don’t want that sort of person thinking that kind of behaviour is acceptable, do you? That’s true negative use of the forum and could easily have been nipped in the bud. I’m sure you know who wrote that and I reckon they still use this place. Same for some of the other tags and users. Why weren’t they pulled? That sort of thing can still take place – I could link to a thread where a newb turns up with a front mech problem and the tag ends up as mechanical ineptitude. Classy.

Still happening and I’m not buying the we don’t read all threads line because you and Drac appear on a lot of threads in less than mod capacity on a fairly regular basis.

I seriously don’t understand how that all flew under the attention of the mods at the time. Really – it was only a few years ago, what’s changed…?

RustySpanner

[video]https://youtu.be/N-hQ6-biWoo[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

RustySpanner

[video]https://youtu.be/Us6jo8bl2lk[/video]

And goodnight from him……

scotroutes

I could link to a thread where a newb turns up with a front mech problem and the tag ends up as mechanical ineptitude. Classy.

Pretty sure that was me and the tag wasn’t a barb aimed at the person that posted the thread, it was so I could find the thread again the next time folk were saying that “mechanical ineptitude” wasn’t one of the reasons behind the proliferation of 1x gear systems.

teasel
    Free Member

But how do you handle that? Serious question, what would you do differently to what we’re already doing?* Tell me I’m doing it wrong and I’ll try and change it. I’m in mind here of the argument that motorists should spend a day on the roads on two wheels to find out what it’s like. It’s not easy to always do the right thing.

Sorry, just read back and other than the tags thing my post wasn’t very helpful, just critical. Utterly.

I dunno. How do you spot a vulnerable person in the first instance – your guess is as good as mine but conspiracy theory type of threads might be a good indication of some sort of unrest kicking in, especially if it’s a repeated thing. Kaesae’s posting history is full of that kind of subject matter. I think it would be good if folk could get some sort of physical visit arranged for that person but that’s really is going beyond the call, I guess.

Having wrote all that, I reckon JHJ is a pretty sound guy and not at risk in the same way Kaesae was – a subtle difference but quite obvious, I think. I’d hate to be wrong.

It would be easy for me to tell you to keep your empathy monitor in good condition but life isn’t that easy and trying to mod a forum on top of your day job is probably a right pain in the arse and I don’t envy you, so I question why on earth you’d want to do it TBH.

I guess you could be really pragmatic and say folk bring it on themselves by using the internet when they probably shouldn’t. To take a faceless opinion to heart is, I can say from experience, pointless. But it’s real and some people can be affected in a negative way and with disastrous consequences.

But really, I’m in no position to advise you how best to accommodate folk who bully or are bullied.

teasel
    Free Member

Pretty sure that was me and the tag wasn’t a barb aimed at the person that posted the thread, it was so I could find the thread again the next time folk were saying that “mechanical ineptitude” wasn’t one of the reasons behind the proliferation of 1x gear systems.

Heh

Another mystery solved! And easily misunderstood, don’t you think…?

Cougar

I’m not offended so why would I report anything like that. I’ve pointed out where I was edited and someone else wasn’t.

You seem to be put out about it. Are you suggesting that it’s not important enough to report yet simultaneously important enough to bring up here as a stick to beat us with?

As for Hob Nob’s post – it was a quote.

So was Boblo’s, the one you were objecting to and calling us out on for double standards. They were both literally consecutive posts quoting your post.

A serious post. Keep an eye on tags – “no one respond to his threads so he goes away exasperated” is a sentiment of a despicable person. Surely you don’t want that sort of person thinking that kind of behaviour is acceptable, do you? That’s true negative use of the forum and could easily have been nipped in the bud. I’m sure you know who wrote that and I reckon they still use this place. Same for some of the other tags and users. Why weren’t they pulled? That sort of thing can still take place – I could link to a thread where a newb turns up with a front mech problem and the tag ends up as mechanical ineptitude. Classy.

I can’t remember the last time I paid any attention to tags so that’s useful information, thank you.

At the risk of repeating myself though, if you see something inappropriate and we haven’t acted on it, please tell us because there’s every chance we don’t know. We cover as much as we can but we can’t read everything.

Still happening and I’m not buying the we don’t read all threads line because you and Drac appear on a lot of threads in less than mod capacity on a fairly regular basis.

I spend more time on the Chat forum than is probably healthy. I read threads I’m probably not going to be interested in, just in case. I’m here now at half past bloody midnight. Conversely, I rarely read the other forums.

The “EU Referendum” thread on its own is rapidly approaching a thousand pages and that’s just one thread, one I’m interested in and one I can’t keep track of.

For all it’s outward-appearing simplicity this is a fast-moving and fairly high traffic forum. I’m afraid that “sorry, I missed a post” happens occasionally.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

A lot of heat and very little light.

Ironically, the OPs point has been ‘nicely’ demonstrated.

If I was a mod I’d close the thread. Can I report a whole thread? Spare us more of this cr@p

Cougar

Ironically OPs point nicely proven.

I agree to a point but, this does actually seem to be turning into something constructive.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Oops – sorry Cougar edit post your post

teasel
    Free Member

You seem to be put out about it. Are you suggesting that it’s not important enough to report yet simultaneously important enough to bring up here as a stick to beat us with?

For a start, I’m not trying to beat anyone, I’m looking for an explanation. I thought that was bloody obvious.

So was Boblo’s, the one you were objecting to and calling us out on for double standards. They were both literally consecutive posts quoting your post.

No, they really weren’t. At the risk of this getting really silly – I posted after Hob Nob’s post (between what is now Hob Nob/Sharkattack) and it was deleted. That post wasn’t a quote, it merely used the Word That Must Not Be Written with a view to it being spotted and modded. It was actually just a bit of fun. What shocked me was the removal of that post (and this was all written earlier) and the leaving of Boblo’s post. If my post was actually read then the mod would have naturally looked at the then very short thread, spot Boblo’s post as well as Hob Nobs quote and delete all offending words. Neither Boblo or Hob Nob quoted me to use the winky word but Boblo quoted the bit about me claiming (joking at that point) I was being victimised.

I didn’t start the whole winky word use, I merely spotted its use and commented on it.

Kapeesh…?!

teasel
    Free Member

Spare us more of this cr@p

I can’t help but agree but also…no one’s forcing you to read it, so just **** off with that shit.

🙂

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Spelling?

Capiche?

😉

teasel
    Free Member

Capiche

I know. I was using Stan Lee’s spelling of that word. Much betterer IMO.

Cougar

It would be easy for me to tell you to keep your empathy monitor in good condition but life isn’t that easy and trying to mod a forum on top of your day job is probably a right pain in the arse and I don’t envy you, so I question why on earth you’d want to do it TBH.

I do it for the love of the community, basically. It can be a pain in the arse and a very small minority go out of their way to try and ensure that that’s the case, but on the whole I find it very rewarding.

As you say, it’s not always easy to keep “empathy monitors” active, not least because of reasons I’ve discussed previously on other threads. But as I keep banging the drum, please for the love of kittens *tell us* if we’re getting it wrong rather than harbouring resentment, then we at least have the opportunity to do something about it.

teasel
    Free Member

on the whole I find it very rewarding.

Well that’s all good, then. Rather you than me.

I’m really not a serious guy BTW. I only come here for the laughs. **** knows why I only get really vocal when this shit come around – I guess I read stuff into events without thinking of all the possible causes and reasons for actions. Or lack thereof.

Some of you guys are really looking for an argument, though – in anything! It’s easy to fall victim to the usual suspects and even suspect others are attempting the same.

Love n peace n all that shit. I don’t want trouble, just a bit of fun and to give virtual hugs when someone is in need.

x

Cougar

Kapeesh…?!

I think we’re at angry dolphins, and you’re right that this is getting silly.

I didn’t review just now what was deleted. I looked back at your complaint on here that Boblo’s reply was unmoderated. You were correct, it was quoting what I thought was your deleted post, as was Hob Nob’s following quote. Since you brought them to my attention, I’ve edited both.

However you seem to be referring to a different post to the one I thought you were in which case, well, man, it’s 1am, do either of us really care sufficiently? Whichever Moderator deleted your post saw one infraction and missed the other(s). That’s it. There’s no conspiracy, just that someone didn’t read an entire page / thread before removing a post for language.

Kryton57

Keep going, this is a bit like “confessions of a forum poster”

😆

kingforaday
    Free Member

This place is weird

bikebouy
    Free Member

A thread about pissing contests is actually turning in on itself and becoming just that.

Oh da..

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘P*s*ing contests’ is closed to new replies.