Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 475 total)
  • PSA: XT M785 Brakes
  • prezet
    Free Member

Anyone got the new M666 SLX’s? is the topcap shiny and chromed like the XT’s?

clowner
    Free Member

Anyone know if just swapping the levers over if you need to follow the guide posted earlier?

Push pistons out a bit, swap over, then push pistons back in?

rwc03
    Free Member

I swapped and shortened mine, and didn’t bother pushing the pistons out. Should be ok if you’re careful. Takes a bit of force to undo nut at lever end, I couldn’t do it in my hand and had to use a spare bar.

Thanks to dez for putting the photos up, very useful.

Nobby

It’ll mean you avoid the need to bleed ’em afterwards.

clowner
    Free Member

So it’s better to do it just in case

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Howcome, when you pull the hose out of the lever end, fluid doesn’t just run out of the lever end and ruin it all?

clowner
    Free Member

Thats what I was wondering

cp

air locked isn’t it – you’d need a breather hole somewhere else for air to replace the fluid coming out…

goodgrief
    Free Member

Anyone got the new M666 SLX’s? is the topcap shiny and chromed like the XT’s?

satin grey, much better IMO

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Oh OK CP, thanks. I think I’ll put it off til tomorrow, it’ll be nice to have them working properly for at least a few hours more. 😉

Entonox
    Free Member

The SLX topcap is also more angular in design – less bulbous.

clowner
    Free Member

So when just swapping levers over is it better to extract the piston a bit in push back in or not?

Still 100% sure

clowner
    Free Member

Pushed the pistons out a bit, swapped the levers over and now the rear piston won’t go back in!

Any suggestions?

Front was fine

DezB
    Free Member

Push the piston back in?

clowner
    Free Member

It won’t budge!

On side of the rear went in but the other appears stuck

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Oh! I’d just come online to say I’ve just done it and to tell you there’s no need to push the pistons in. Seems like I was a bit too late.

scruff
    Free Member

Banana, the fluid is thicker than water & the hole is pretty small so its doesnt pi55 out.

Push piston back in with a plastic tyre lever, keep the pushing bit central on the piston, it may need some force but apply smoothly.

ps. PSA- Superstar sintered pads working great with my XTs.

Hard to not order a set of SLX’s for my DH bike…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant ‘no need to push the pistons out’ (to clowner).

DezB
    Free Member

Clowner – tyre lever, as suggested, or screwdriver against the back of the opposite pad to the piston you’re trying to push in. (ie. so the pad surface is protected from the screwdriver)
    You should be able to force it back.

clowner
    Free Member

Sorted now!

But what is up with the ‘tightening plates’ on the ice tech rotors?

Special_ized_Jamie

Anyone heard from them as to when they are going to be back in stock? Ordered some yesterday and but nothing from them to say when they are expecting more

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

er……….so what does free stroke do? 😳

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Got some SLX’s on route now! Arrived in the UK yesterday 😀

So, Monday night will be swappy time for me!

continuity
    Free Member

Free stroke adjusts how much the pads move for a given distance of lever movement.

I.e. all the way out means that the brakes do not engage until further into the lever throw. all the way in means that as soon as you touch the brakes, the pads make contact. in practical terms it only matters if you like it very much as the former.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

anyone got a pic of the slx’s they can post so i can see what they look like in the flesh

flyingmonkeycorps

How good is the reach adjust on these? Mainly on the SLX – can you adjust them so the bite is pretty close to the bar? If the freestroke is the only difference I’m tempted just to go for the SLX over the XT, but I do like to run my brakes quite close.

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a set of the SLX’s. Should be here sometime this week. Apparently the ‘free stroke’ screw on these is just a blanking screw… wondering if I can adapt them to work with ‘free stroke’. Any of you XT users care to remove your ‘free stroke’ screw so I can compare what the difference is?

ciderinsport
    Free Member
    continuity
    Free Member

You don’t get the finned pads though from rose. Though for the price of XT F+R you could almost have SLX + Ice-Tech rotors F+R.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

As regards freestroke adjustment, although the SLX has the screw, it doesn’t have the mechanism in the lever blade to allow adjustment~ if you look at the images above, there is a slot in the XT lever, which will effectively alter the pivot position and thus bite point. The SLX doesn’t have this, so there is one less thing to go wrong.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I have seen these picks but from my experinec these things look completely different when you see them in the flesh. Anyone got them on their bike yet. Also is there any weigth difference?

peachos
    Free Member

anyone know when these are going to be back in stock??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I got the XT’s and they weigh 578gms, that’s uncut hoses and including the brake pads and the 2 supplied bolts per caliper.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You don’t get the finned pads though from rose.

I think there is a thread on here were the guy is saying Merlin didn’t supply him with finned pads either, don’t know the price paid tho. I get the impression they were in the picture, so he expected to get them, he calls them ice-tech pads tho, but I assume he means the finned pads, not certain tho (I don’t think Ice-tech pads exist, do they?). HTH

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Is that weight for both brakes or each?

got3n
    Free Member

for both I think, its impossible to weight more than 1000g both ; )

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, both brakes, both calipers, hoses uncut, pads, 2 bolts each (4 bolts) 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

9 pages long by heck…

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got the cheap and cheerful Deore M596 brakes that look similar and have an adjuster for the stroke, but you just need an allen key instead of a little finger wheel adjuster. £40 each end is buttons from Parkers International.

DezB
    Free Member

I assume he means the finned pads, not certain tho (I don’t think Ice-tech pads exist, do they?)

At £25 a pair for resin pads, they can keep em

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 475 total)

The topic ‘PSA: XT M785 Brakes’ is closed to new replies.