• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • PSA: Worth it for the rings alone……….
  • timbur
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46021

Cheap, square taper, fill your boots.

Tim

nuke

Good one…and currently only 6136 in stock 😯

timbur
    Free Member

Better be quick then :O)

Alini
    Free Member

Make that 6135…..

Nice PSA, thanks 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

False economy.

You’ll buy these, use the rings, then buy and build a single speed around those two shiny crank arms, which you’ll then replace with something more bling at the end.

Don’t feed the N+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good PSA, but nobody noticed the £25 Deore HT2 ones they sold a few months ago….. I did. 🙂

scaredypants

they must’ve all missed your PSA, peter

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up there Tim, I’ve ordered one for the bike I’m slowly building up for my 14yr old son. It’s from CRC though so I look forward to it arriving on my desk in a box the size of a wardrobe 😉

timbur
    Free Member

Morning Slugwash dear boy. I hear you’ve bumped into a wee Scottish fella on the roads down your way!
    Should be in Charlestown the second week of Easter. Fancy a beer? I might be able to squeeze a bike in the car given a small amount of encouragement.

Jerome
    Free Member

Cheers timbur,
    Ring perfect for my marin rebuild..

timbur
    Free Member

Good work mate.
    That Marin needs retiring. She’s an old girl now!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good only if you need it, other wise expensive and wasteful for a 22t (cranks bin, 40+t bin, 32t bin)

slugwash
    Free Member

Morning Slugwash dear boy. I hear you’ve bumped into a wee Scottish fella on the roads down your way!

… a wee Scottish fella desperately trying to keep up with me during his Puffer training on Dartmoor…. 😉

Should be in Charlestown the second week of Easter. Fancy a beer? I might be able to squeeze a bike in the car given a small amount of encouragement.

I’ll probably be in Lewes around Easter so could do a South Downs ride instead/as well 🙂

bruneep

good only if you need it, other wise expensive and wasteful for a 22t (cranks bin, 40+t bin, 32t bin)

strange thing to post. 😕

Needing new rings for my work bike, they will do just dandy, if fact its a sq taper bb so i’ll just put the chainset on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol

strange thing to post

it’s only cheap if you need that exact thing, not many I know running 22/32/42 9 speed. Don’t know anyone on Sq taper at all. If you are stock up though.

bruneep

Don’t know anyone on Sq taper at all.

My SQ taper xt BB has been on my work bike for yrs and has been flawless (kiss of death now)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough (I see the who else has one post) I generally never got on with shimano rings either 🙂 there was a PSA on SLX shifters a while back, having tried some I could see why they were cheap too.

timbur
    Free Member

Drop me an email. First week we’re here, second week we head SW.

Jerome
    Free Member

Burden, i have another Eldridge that has had a slightly better life..

timbur
    Free Member

Not difficult. That first once was baggy.

Rickos
    Free Member

False economy.

You’ll buy these, use the rings, then buy and build a single speed around those two shiny crank arms, which you’ll then replace with something more bling at the end.

Don’t feed the N+1

This is so true. But I can’t help it.

granny_ring

What length bb axle for these cranks 113mm?

falkirk-mark

Just check if you can that the rings are replaceable as I bought a set of cranks with replaceable rings (photos showed replaceable also) and the cranks turned up as spot welded ones.It was also with CRC, however in their defence when I contacted them they refunded me and told me to keep them FOC.

Edit looks good
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M442-2527_v1_m56577569830608883.pdf

Edit again just ordered cheers

nuke

What length bb axle for these cranks 113mm?

Probably. But then maybe not. I base it more on the frame than the cranks. For example, on my Inbred 853, 113mm was specified for the cranks but I found 118mm better suited to the frame

coatesy
    Free Member

Looked it up from techdocs for somebody a couple of days ago, think it was 118 or 122.5 depending on chainline requirements, feel free to double check.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I thought the race face respond double chainsets we’re a good deal, y’know, if you have some kind of 21st century bike…

granny_ring

cheers coatesy

IHN

Ah, this could be what I’m after for the little lady’s bike, however…

The rest of the drivetrain is 10spd; if I swap the 10spd rings across to this crank, will the shifting work okay?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Worth it for the rings alone……….’ is closed to new replies.