Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA: World War Z, Film 4, 23.15.👍
  • Poopscoop

Can’t beat a bit of Welsh (and everywhere else) zombie action.👍

jimmy

Watched it last week, has an extra bit of edge being a step (or two…) up from this pandemic.

Poopscoop

Usnt there supposed to be a sequel planned?

pandhandj
    Free Member

I think it’s been binned, pity.

mashr

Really wish someone would make a movie that was actually based on the book

argee

Can anyone spot the cameo from Gregory out of Gregory’s girl 😁

Poopscoop

mashr
    Free Member
    Really wish someone would make a movie that was actually based on the book

Is there just one book or a series?

I know Google would tell me but…

duckman

The book was brilliant, the film while ok always was coming up short.

dyna-ti

Can’t beat a bit of Welsh zombie action.👍

You’ve holidayed in Colwyn bay too then 😆

Drac

Got slated at the time because it wasn’t close enough to the book, well it made a good film so who cares. Never let a book ruin a good film.

joshvegas
    Free Member

That was a fun time when they were filming in Glasgow. You’d see processions of American vehicles heading to/from George Square on your way to work etc.

argee

joshvegas
    Free Member

That was a fun time when they were filming in Glasgow. You’d see processions of American vehicles heading to/from George Square on your way to work etc.

They also saved a fortune in make up and extras by just filming zombie scenes on the day of a rangers home game 😂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Got slated at the time because it wasn’t close enough to the book

The film is to the book as Emmerdale is to Pride and Prejudice, even the author thought so. They might as well have just said whatever happens in the book we will do the complete opposite. That’s why it got slated. That and it’s not even a great movie.

Is there just one book or a series?

I know Google would tell me but…

World War Z was the sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide, both are good books.

slackboy

For a zombie book , world war z was surprisingly thoughtful. I really enjoyed it

timc
    Free Member

Watched this again last night, its a nice passive watch until here arrives in wales in ridiculous circumstances, even for a zombie film. Turned off at the point again.

mashr

The film is to the book as Emmerdale is to Pride and Prejudice, even the author thought so. They might as well have just said whatever happens in the book we will do the complete opposite. That’s why it got slated. That and it’s not even a great movie.

Yup, book was a UN Report on the Zombie War. Film was a standard zombie film….. but they run and some of it is filmed in the U.K.

Drac

The film is to the book as Emmerdale is to Pride and Prejudice, even the author thought so.

You’d expect him to notice the difference. Based on a book just means inspired, it far from means it will follow the book. I’ve read on film forums by others who have read the book it is just as well, as the book just wouldn’t work as a film if it followed it.

mashr

Inspired doesn’t even work here. The only 2 things in common are that the protagonist works for the UN (at least I think he does in the movie) and that there are zombies. That’s it. I’ll grant them that the name is inspired by the book, but the rest is just generic zombie stuff

Of course an exact copy of the book wouldn’t work. huge swathes of it would though, or you could totally change tac and have a series of stories on what happened. As I said before, it’s a report so could all be tied together by that. They just didn’t even bother trying to make a clever/different movie.

You should give it a read

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Also partly filmed off Falmouth I believe, Brad Pitt stayed in a hotel in helston with Angelonina , kept very hush hush at the time

survivor

Wasn’t the sudden shift to the plane crash in Wales something to do with the money running out or production problems?

Remember reading something at the time and it explained the feeling that I’d just watched two different films in one.

maccruiskeen

something to do with the money running out or production problems?

the original finale was filmed in Russia but didn’t go down well in test screenings and about 40min worth had to be re-written and re-shot.

This is the thing really about whether any film is ‘faithful to the book’. Books aren’t structured like films – films have to work within a pretty specific story structure – so theres going to be changes anyway (and films aren’t generally five hours long)

But that re-write after a test screening speaks volumes – books only have one author generally- but there are lots of cooks on a movie and ‘the audience’ and what they would expect have quite a large influence on the making of a film – and ‘the audience’ have not read and do not care about the book.

If you’ve read a book – dont watch the film, its not for you and you won’t like it

If you live in a place and theres a movie about that place – don’t watch the film, its not for you and you won’t like it

If do a job, and theres a film about people who do that job – don’t watch the film, its not for you and you won’t like it

and os on

Yup, book was a UN Report on the Zombie War

How would that work as a movie? It would  like making a movie about the First World War – Which bit? Oh, you know, the whole thing.

z1ppy

I hated the fact that they basically only used the title from the book & it had zombies in it, nothing else. It was a vaguely entertaining film that lost it way, so isn’t even that good.

I’ve read on film forums by others who have read the book it is just as well, as the book just wouldn’t work as a film if it followed it.

it wouldn’t have worked in a classic movie sense of having a hero to follow, as it’s a collection of different peoples stories, none of which (IIRC) are classic we fight zombie, more we survive zombies.

No series as..

Spoiler:
    They deal with the zombie threat in the book..

Though it could make a great Netflix/prime series, with each chapter/story, being an episode or two.

PS: You should give it a read +1 , as it’s simply not what your expecting
    PPS: Don’t talk to me about the ‘I am legend’ film.. talk about totally missing the point.

martinhutch

Seems bizarre to throw money at the author for screen rights to a book when you have no intention of filming the book.

Why not pay a screenwriter to come up with whatever gritty zombie film you wanted to make?

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’d expect him to notice the difference. Based on a book just means inspired, it far from means it will follow the book.

That wasn’t the script originally proposed, it was thrown out and rewritten completely, the original draft was miles closer to the book.

Inspired doesn’t even work here. The only 2 things in common are that the protagonist works for the UN (at least I think he does in the movie) and that there are zombies. That’s it. I’ll grant them that the name is inspired by the book, but the rest is just generic zombie stuff

Of course an exact copy of the book wouldn’t work. huge swathes of it would though, or you could totally change tac and have a series of stories on what happened. As I said before, it’s a report so could all be tied together by that. They just didn’t even bother trying to make a clever/different movie.

You should give it a read

Yup, it’s a resemblance in name only.

How would that work as a movie? It would like making a movie about the First World War – Which bit? Oh, you know, the whole thing.

Same as the book, montage of stories based around a single event/theme. See Cloud Atlas (filmed in Glasgow around the same time), Basic, Pulp Fiction etc.

Seems bizarre to throw money at the author for screen rights to a book when you have no intention of filming the book.

Because you’re buying the prestige, the book was a hit and people expected the movie to be like the book.

maccruiskeen

Though it could make a great Netflix/prime series, with each chapter/story, being an episode or two.

I suspect if the first one had succeeded it would have been a great seed for numerous spin offs within the same ‘universe’ – you could have all sorts of stories that follow one person’s journey through the same event. So if you could manage that then those book rights are a gold mine.

mashr

How would that work as a movie? It would like making a movie about the First World War – Which bit? Oh, you know, the whole thing.

The story goes that the book was put together using elements of the UN report that had to be removed as they were too personal and/or not scientific. So it’s be grand as a collection of stories around the same subject. Some would be fairly generic zombie stuff, others a bit different.

shermer75
    Free Member

I liked the movie, but I’m a huge Brad Pitt fan and will prob watch him in just about anything.

I think it’s fine to not follow the book, prob disappointing if you’ve loved reading it but then being disappointed at a film adaptation is pretty par for the course, non? In fact, there’s prob loads of examples of films ignoring the book and being way better for it

maccruiskeen

In fact, there’s prob loads of examples of films ignoring the book and being way better for it

Rambo First Blood Part II and all the subsequent sequels are the better for it because Johnny Rambo dies at the end of the ‘First Blood’ novel 🙂

The fun examples are the opposite  – movies have often been ‘novelised’, with a book written based on the film rather than the other way round- particularly so prior to VHS and movies being available to own – so books were a way of merchandising films in a take-home form-  The folk that write the novels are given the shooting script and then had to pad it out into a novel (a shooting script for a movie is about 20,000 words and is designed to take roughly as long to read as the movie would be to watch – a novel is typically 60,000 words so the writer has a lot of padding out to do)  But this is also usually happening before or during production so when scenes are re-drafted, re-cast etc, during production and the various creatives in a movie have their own roles in designing the things/people/places/spaces the film happens in the the novel diverges from the movie because the writer hasn’t actually seen any of it.

The alien in Alien isn’t described at all in the script and the design was a secret – the writer wasn’t allowed to see it – so the the novel had to pad out the story with description… but carefully avoid actually describing the alien in the title. Bizzarely Alien was also novelised in two versions – one for adults and one as a kids book.

In the novelisation of Empire Strikes Back Yoda is blue and in Starwars Obi Wan is a pipe smoker.

Drac

Rambo First Blood Part II and all the subsequent sequels are the better for it because Johnny Rambo dies at the end of the ‘First Blood’ novel

He also originally died in the film but they changed it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bizzarely Alien was also novelised in two versions – one for adults and one as a kids book.

That doesn’t suprise me at all, I grew up in an era with such childrens classics as Police Academy and Robocop: The animated series.

muddy@rseguy

First 15 minutes of World War Z are great, then it’s pretty dire.

TBH read the book, which is the north side of awesome, then consider for yourselves just how dire the film is.

Remember, the best place to be during, or indeed after, the Zombie apocalypse is Cuba…

winston
    Free Member

Apocalypse Now and Bladerunner are both good examples of films that were better than the base book.

WWZ isn’t even a good Brad Pitt movie – it was more Mr and Mrs Smith than Burn after Reading or Seven

Harry_the_Spider

Can anyone spot the cameo from Gregory out of Gregory’s girl

Yep. The French chap from Mr Selfridge is the C130 pilot too.

Also, in the credits Peter Capaldi is down as WHO Doctor.

Film is OK. Book is great.

I’m guessing that big chunks were filmed then dumped. Mathew Fox was huge at the time thanks to Lost and he appears in it for about 4 seconds as the para-jumper on the helicopter that rescues them from the tower block.

montgomery
    Free Member

If you’ve read a book – dont watch the film, its not for you and you won’t like it

The Road.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘PSA: World War Z, Film 4, 23.15.👍’ is closed to new replies.