Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA – vulcan bomber @ windermere air show on sat
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Theres a fair few people on here who like planes, and also a lot that ride in the lakes so thought i’d mention that the Vulcan bomber has been confirmed for the windermere air show (saturday) 🙂

Red arrows too, but think they are just flying on the sunday

crazy-legs

Any timings for it? There’s only basic info on the website, presumably to make people buy a programme…

trout
    Free Member

where are all these planes coming from .
    and will they be flying anywhere near Helvellyn

lakesrider
    Free Member

not sure of times yet, i havent seen a programme yet either. It’s flying at the Southport airshow on sat as well at 4.20pm so i’d guess it’ll head there straight after windermere… so sometime mid afternoon for the windermere display probably. (Unless it does Southport first!)

theres just been a Jet Provost looping round over the lake for about 10 mins, must be getting their routine ready for the weekend!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzWAg2yJoVQ[/video]

Last saw it in 2009,amazing 😉

lakesrider
    Free Member

is ‘scale ivy intake’ (where video says it was filmed) up on Claife heights somewhere? I reckon thats where i’ll go to watch it.

crazy-legs

LakesRider, it’s HERE

In the video the island that the Vulcan disappears behind in Belle Isle.
    I saw it from right on the waterfront by Bowness, the noise was incredible! 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

lakes rider,Yes its a great place (see crazylegs map) to watch although you dont actually get a lot of sound due to the planes actually flying around you,and dropping down to the lake,its much louder from Windermere but its nice to look across and down at the displays rather than up all the time.

Best way to get there is from Sawrey across the top footpath

smudge
    Free Member

once heard never forgotten.

I’ve seen it a few times and allways wonder if that was the last time. The last time was last year whilst out walking the dog with our 12 year old daughter and she stood in amazement in the size and noise of it.

One of the few times that makes you proud to be british.

There’s a good book about how it was used in the Falklands

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I saw it at Finningly airshow in the early 90s,They did proper displays then, and really threw it about for the crowds.

Theres some amazing short take off vids on you tube somewhere,I will have a look..and post em up 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIJOE_DC-n8[/video]

Here ya go,Start the vid at about 148 seconds in,an old film but one of the best take offs i have seen.. 😯

postierich
    Free Member

Windermere has an airshow 😯

Driving up to the Lakes to live on Saturday might make a diversion to take in the show!
    Lived in Lincolnshire and after seeing them fly past most days when I was a nipper the sight and sound is amazing.

josh1982
    Free Member

Vulcan is at Sunderland airship this weekend too. Busy weekend but I guess it saves doing them over loadsa weekends.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Any idea where it’s taking off from? I think home base is Bruntingthorpe but it has been known to park at Robin Hood/Finningley.

Gary_C

See it whilst you can, after 2012 it won’t be fying again.

Coyote
    Free Member

Saw it at the Southport airshow a couple of years ago. Truly awesome.

snakebite
    Free Member

ooooh, will be around Claife some time Sat…

nomakoman
    Free Member

The book in post up there is vulcan 607, cracking read

stavromuller
    Free Member

I remember as a kid, walking up Sca Fell Pike and seeing a Vulcan flying below us. It still blows me away thinking about it.

andylakes

Spoke to the organisers today and the flying is between 1.30 and 5. We are riding up to Gummers How, hope to get a ggod view from there as part of a ride out including Stavely plantation descent.
    Andy

crazy-legs

Yeah, saw the flying window of 1.30 – 5, was hoping for a more definite time. I’m going to ride up to Staveley for a late breakfast at Wilf’s then ride over to Bowness and see if I can find out a time for the Vulcan. Occupy the time with some riding around the lake until it shows up.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://www.visitsouthport.com/site/whats-on/air-show/aircraft-and-displays

The Vulcans due to fly at 1620hrs at Southport airshow so I would have thought 1645 to 1715 for Winderemere? as a guess

crazy-legs

Aside from the Vulcan, the airshow was a bit bobbins really. Certainly not worth it aside from the Vulcan although on the plus side it was a nice day and the airshow itself was free.

Anyone else there?

PaulMc
    Free Member

Nope, but the Vulcan flew right over our house at about 16.05 on its way to Southport. Amazing sight, so slow for a warplane.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Saw a Lancaster flying over south Leeds this afternoon. Heading west about 2.30pm

crazy-legs

Yeah, BBMF did a display at Windermere too. Which I missed cos I was away from Bowness riding my bike. I got back there later in the afternoon for the Vulcan.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA – vulcan bomber @ windermere air show on sat’ is closed to new replies.