Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA Tubus Cargo racks for 26 inch wheeled bikes. £25
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Irc posted this over on CGOAB but well worth posting here.

Handy if you have a Long Haul Trucker with 26 inch wheels.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tubus/cargo-rear-carrier-26-inch-black-ec006901

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tubus/cargo-rear-carrier-26-inch-silver-ec006902

user-removed
    Free Member

That is a very specific PSA! I may buy a long haul just to take advantage though…

bencooper
    Free Member

Woo, just stocked up, cheers 😉

zilog6128

Will this not work with any bike that has 26″ wheels and rack mounts?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Will this not work with any bike that has 26″ wheels and rack mounts?

They make a 26inch and 700c version. Buy the rack to suit your wheel size.

zilog6128

Hmmm. Would it be wrong then to buy the rack and then buy a bike to fit it?

float
    Free Member

i dont need this, i dont need this, i dont need this…

nedrapier

Thank you very much, mcmoonter.

Perfect (I hope!) for my Singular Peregrine which has raised rack mounts to clear the discs.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

i dont need this, i dont need this, i dont need this…

I’m even pondering one for a retro off road touring bike a la Boblo.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mcandmilesgofromskyetomontrose

irc

I bought two I don’t need. Couldn’t not at that price. Opinion at CTC forums was that the 26″ version was only 1cm lower than the standard. The standard Cargo on my Long Haul Trucker has 2cm clearance over mudguards big enough to take 700×42 tyres with good clearance. So the 26″ version should fit many 700c bikes. Depending on where the mounting is in relation to the axle and size of tyres/mudguards.

So my wife’s Orbit tourer will get a Tubus instead of a cheapo rack and the other will go on the shelf until I get round to getting a Cross Check frame.

user-removed
    Free Member

Will this fit bikes with disc brakes – anyone know?

nedrapier

So the 26″ version should fit many 700c bikes.

Which means it’s still going to look goofy on mine. Hey ho!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ching!

I guess a few of us will find out shortly if it works with 700c!

Cheers Pete

theblackmount
    Free Member

What’s so good about them apart from the 72% discount?

bencooper
    Free Member

Tough, simple racks that last a lot longer than aluminium ones – I fitted the last one I had to a bike over the weekend, so I’ve now ordered another batch from Evans, enough to last me a year or so 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF my Blackburn is still going strong after my daily commute, crossing France and the Rockies (off road).

I bought it 25 years ago – second hand.

Tj said he broke a few though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

TBF my Blackburn is still going strong after my daily commute, crossing France and the Rockies (off road).

I bought it 25 years ago – second hand.

The original Blackburn racks were bombproof. Mine were branded Jim Blackburn.

The new ones are mince by comparison.

Tubus racks are the first choice for round the world bike tourists. Super strong and field weldable should they break.

CraigW
    Free Member

But with Tubus racks, the paint gets scratched, then they start rusting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just to be clear, AWESOME as I am, I don’t cross the Rockies and France on my daily commute 😎

zilog6128

But with Tubus racks, the paint gets scratched, then they start rusting.

really? Mine didn’t. Had an off and scraped my bike along the road, there were a few shiny silver areas where the paint and a tiny bit of material were removed. Over a year later they are still shiny silver. This is on a bike that is used every day, in all weather, and not cleaned very often!

pebble
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for one of these and missed the opportunity to purchase, I have one available which was used once. Bought from Wiggle but it cost a lot more than £25 (I have the original receipt to validate this).

However, yours for £25 + post at cost.

E-mail robin.stones@tesco.net

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine arrived, clearance is fine with 32mm 700c tyres.

Lovely but of kit.

boblo
    Free Member

Tssssk, you lot…. I resisted and resisted then Mc put a picture of my bike up and Al said they fit 700c. I’ve only one and blooming ordered one now <sigh>.

bencooper
    Free Member

My boxload arrived too – just put one on a 700c hybrid, fits fine with mudguards, though it has reasonably high mounts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was looking at the Fly racks, I feel a weight-loss programme involving a grinder and some spray paint coming on!

nedrapier

anyone having to cut their seatstay struts down?

Probably not, I’m guessing. The peregrine has the “axle” eyelets a couple of inches higher to clear the disc caliper, and it means the seatstay struts need to be pointing up and back and foul the rack.

Mr. Tubus, meet Mr. Bahco.

bencooper
    Free Member

They’re meant to be cuttable – I usually trim off the spare ends when I fit them.

nedrapier

Grand, cheers Ben. I’m planning on leaving on as much as I can in case it finds its way onto another bike in the future.

bencooper
    Free Member

I also sometimes bend them to get more clearance for things 😉

nedrapier

Is that with a fancy small-diameter pipe bender which you bought hoping you’d be able to find a use for, or with some body weight and a bit of care?

bencooper
    Free Member

How did you know about that?!

I broke that trying to bent small-gauge stainless tubing. So for Tubus struts I use a vice with soft jaws and just bend by hand.

boblo
    Free Member

Well Mr DPD (Herr DPD?) has just just been and delivered mine. Top spot. Ta.

nedrapier

Ha! Really, Ben? It was a lucky guess based on something else you posted about buying. Not a surprise to hear it wasn’t a one-off!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA Tubus Cargo racks for 26 inch wheeled bikes. £25’ is closed to new replies.