Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA Bristol: Knife threat involving bike theft
  • jimilindley
    Free Member

Appeal after high value bike stolen in Abbots Leigh
    Added on 31 October 2014 at 12:37

We’re appealing for the public’s help after a high value bike was stolen at knife point in Abbots Leigh.

At approximately 10.45am on Wednesday (October 29) the victim was cycling along the cycle track in Leigh Woods when he was stopped by two men – one of whom was also on a bike.

The other man demanded the victim hand over his bike and was seen to hold a knife in his hand.

He then took the bike from the victim and both suspects the cycled off in the direction of the towpath. From here they would have either turned left towards Pill or right towards the Cumberland Basin area.

The suspect holding the knife is described as white, in his mid-20’s, of a medium build and between 5ft 10ins and 6ft tall. He had short cropped black hair and was clean shaven. He was wearing black shell suit jogging bottoms and a grey hooded top.

The second suspect was a white male of a similar age, build and height to the first offender.

The stolen bike is a silver/grey Ghost Northshore model. It has GHOST written on the frame in black which also has blue, black and pink stickers on it. The saddle is black and blue and the handles are black with black and grey grips.

Anyone with information regarding the incident or who may know the location of the bike is asked to contact PC David Cousins on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where information can be left anonymously.

cinnamon_girl

😯 That’s shocking.

wallop

WTF? No lone riding then? Jeez…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

That’s robbery, not theft. This is potentially a really nasty development in bike related crime. Difficult to imagine just handing my bike over to someone but in the situation as described, I guess there is little choice, and I would do the same, unless you’re Bruce Lee.

chakaping
    Free Member

Armed robbery in fact.

Police should be taking it very seriously.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

My 2c: if you’re up there riding alone & you see something/someone you’re not sure of – keep going!

lucky7500

I ride on my own all the time in some quite remote places so that’s pretty terrifying!!

My 2c: if you’re up there riding alone & you see something/someone you’re not sure of – keep going!

Good advice I’d say.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, serious crime and comes much higher up the list with fair chance of the police sticking someone in jail.

If they’d just nicked the bike parked up somewhere or in a shed/garage etc, it would come right down the bottom of priorities and a guarantee that no one is going to jail.

Hence why theft is so high as it’s a low risk crime, but armed robbery while scary thought people may be turning to this, is a much higher risk so less likely to occur.

mark90
    Free Member

I ride on my own all the time in some quite remote places so that’s pretty terrifying!!

Much safer in remote places than semi urban woodland IMHO.

A nasty escalation from theft to armed robbery. I usually ride LW/AC alone and have been a little wary on occasion of people who look suspicious or ‘out of place’*. I try not to slow down, but not always possible.

* trying not to be too judgemental about chavs in hoodies on BSO’s who might actually just be out enjoying a ride.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Jeez, that’s a real escalation in the problem. I read that something similar happened in Still Woods a few years back, involving a lone, female rider.

And too right this is armed robbery, not theft. Putting Bristol firmly back at the top of the bike crime list.

I guess of bit of stereotyping doesnt hurt, if you see guys dressed like this hanging around up there not looking like riders, then stay out of their way. I’ve been up twice this week at about that time on my own, makes me nervous.

…and my mate had 3 bikes stolen from his house last night (note, also burglary, not theft).

I hope the victim is ok and insured.

wallop

Evening bump!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA Bristol: Knife threat involving bike theft’ is closed to new replies.