Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • PSA The Wire from the beginning.
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Watched ‘The Wire’ from the very beginning first time around before all the meeja jumped on it and it became the cool thing to say you were obsessed with it. Certainly good, I’ll give you that.

Yeah man, know what you mean. I used to watch Come Dine With Me and Grand Designs the first time round before More4 jumped on it and started showing re-runs. I feel I’ve been hard done by though, as they’ve never become a cool thing to say you were obsessed with. What alot of wasted time.

From what ive seen of The Wire, its belting.

ojom
    Free Member

Cynic-Al got me into it a few weeks a go with a box set of season 1/equivalent weight in crack.

It’s great – not sure why i missed it on telly really.

There is a cracking scene in s1 where they are re-inacting a shooting scene in a flat and every word is a variation on F word, over and over. Great script writing in a weird way… heh

philconsequence
    Free Member

i watched the wire before it was even written 8)

Bunk was based on me and after hearing me should “five- o!” at a police officer who had just turned 50 the writers decided to use it as a term for the police in the series… never been used before. FACT.

(its an incredible show, casting and acting be supurb yo)

Lifer
    Free Member

Band of Brothers is probably the best tv series I’ve seen, everything about it is spot on!

Agree with that

Clobber
    Free Member

The wire is the best thing that’s ever been on TV period… and I don’t even like cop shows, especially american ones…

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a great show – s1 the best for me so far (still to see s4&5). LOL at how folk with short attention spans can’t get it.

Six Feet Under another HBO fave, True Blood also, I need to see the rest.

I found Band of Brothers good, but a bit cloying & predictable in a Speilberg-y way, personally.

spacemonkey

There is a cracking scene in s1 where they are re-inacting a shooting scene in a flat and every word is a variation on F word, over and over. Great script writing in a weird way… heh

That’ll be this one:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM[/video]
    😆

thebunk

hels
    Free Member

Wire the best tele ever gets my vote. I watched the first season after surgery off my face on painkillers. Took me about 4 hours per episode with all the winding back to figure out what was going on.

Bubbles def my fave character, in terms of development across all the series.

And for the the celeb spotters one of the youngsters from series 3 turns up in as one of the main characters in the remake of Beverley Hills 90210 oh yes the irony.

toby1

The Wire is incredible, if you don’t like it then fair enough, but I don’t understand why. Personally I’d recommend watching it on dvd so you can watch a bunch all together.

Mad men is the next best thing at the moment and I’m not even sure why, I just know I love it!

binners

No. Me. Me. Me. I saw it first. I saw the Wire, in its entirety, in a dream before it had even been conceived. 🙄

The Wire is the work of unbridled genius. Just the depth of the thing. We’ve just finished series 4 the other night. Looking forward to series 5, even though it gets a bit silly, its still ten times better than anything else on.

I’d recommend watching Generation Kill if you’ve not seen it already. Same Writers. Same type of brilliant believable characters

cynic-al
    Free Member

“the Bunk don’t swim”

I too like Bubbles, great character. Did his mate (Johnny?) die in S3?

Also, who kills the dealer in E2/3 of S2…walks past in a grey marl tracksuit and just “lights him up” (love that phrase) on the sidewalk one evening? I thought it was Cutty but I’m not so sure.

IainAhh
    Free Member

The Wire is ace

Watch it

philconsequence
    Free Member

can we stop talking about it now? i’m getting that “must watch the wire again” feeling surging through my bones… and dammit its summer i had lots of riding planned! lets resurrect this thread when winters on its way 😀

IainAhh
    Free Member

Spoiler

I watched the whole 5 series and I was amazed to find out that McNulty is a english plummy actor. Even before it became hip for uk actors to play major roles on US TV. Great job

tonyd

Never heard of it until a month or so ago when a mate lent it to us, me and the missus have watched the whole lot already!

Great show, although we did have to watch the first episode a few times to get used to the accent. We’re not great TV watchers but this ranked up there with the Sopranos, maybe better.

Lifer
    Free Member

I watched the whole 5 series and I was amazed to find out that McNulty is a english plummy actor. Even before it became hip for uk actors to play major roles on US TV. Great job

Really? I thought his accent wandered quite a lot.

philconsequence
    Free Member

question for the people who struggled to get the accent or used subtitles… how old are you? you dont need to provide an exact age if you’re feeling sensitive or i’ve hit a nerve by asking… but i’m really surprised people struggled to understand it!

then again i’ve grown up with “street” as a second language 8)

hels
    Free Member

Wire vs Sopranos hard one to call. In terms of a single episode the one where his mother plots to kill him has to win I reckon, although there is a mother in the Wire of almost as good a pedigree. The old plots are the best, and that’s the oldest.

BoardinBob

I watched the whole 5 series and I was amazed to find out that McNulty is a english plummy actor.

As is Stringer Bell aka Idris Elba

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Ooooooooooh I love it!!! We have, like he said *points up* just finished series four and hopefully someone will remember to bring series 5 later!!! That’s my weekend sorted forget sitting in the sun or getting fresh air!

tonyd

question for the people who struggled to get the accent or used subtitles… how old are you? you dont need to provide an exact age if you’re feeling sensitive or i’ve hit a nerve by asking… but i’m really surprised people struggled to understand it!

Late 30s and been around a bit but still struggled a little. The main reason for re-watching so many times was for the missus as she struggles with accents (mid 30s, not been around so much!).

To be honest I’m more surprised that people didn’t struggle, unless you grew up in a ghetto that accent and the slang is pretty hard to pick up immediately (IMO of course).

DrJ

Thing with The Wire is the scope of the story, examining everything from kids on the street to State politics.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

It took me a few episodes to get into the accents and ‘street’ talk but then its second nature now and find myself even using some of the words after a long session watching a few episodes back to back..

…when I’m out dealing that is on street corners 😯

verses

Best character on TV.

grum
    Free Member

McNulty’s accent is dodgy in places imo – still never saw him as posh though.

Never had a problem with the accents/slang – but I listened to a lot of hip-hop since aged about 14. 🙂

True Grit on the other hand…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

then again i’ve grown up with “street” as a second language

Philconsequence, yesterday:

in his teens:

as a child (he had glandular problems):

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Only watched the first three, will do a couple more this weekend, the legibility of the accent / language didn’t even occur to me until I read this thread, all seemed perfectly clear.

Mid 40’s by the way.

BoardinBob

Also, who kills the dealer in E2/3 of S2…walks past in a grey marl tracksuit and just “lights him up” (love that phrase) on the sidewalk one evening? I thought it was Cutty but I’m not so sure.

Cheese’s henchman Tree. He kills him because of the suspected cheating at the do fight.

Cutty didn’t appear until season 3

_tom_
    Free Member

No problem with the accent here 😕

fatmax

Wor lass got me the 5 season box-set for Christmas, and have watched up to the end of 3. Incredibly good.
    Omar is the man.
    Got series 1-3 of Mad Men for my birthday too, which will have to wait…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i didnt realise i had added you on facebook al! stop spreading my photos around 😳

BoardinBob

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM[/video]

organic355
    Free Member

better than the Sopranos

are you mad?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No BB this was after Cutty got out at the start of S3 (he was in S2 towards tehn end anyway?).

He was gifted a package and gave it to a guy to sell, the guy stiffed him and (I think it was him) got killed. I’ll have a watch!

brassneck

question for the people who struggled to get the accent or used subtitles… how old are you? you dont need to provide an exact age if you’re feeling sensitive or i’ve hit a nerve by asking… but i’m really surprised people struggled to understand it

Likewise, I didn’t ever have a problem with the accent at all.

Whilst I did grow up on an estate it was closer Chatsworth than Bodymore.

brassneck

And yeah, it’s better than The Sopranos. IMHO.

matthewjb
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

I watched the whole 5 series and I was amazed to find out that McNulty is a english plummy actor.

As is Stringer Bell aka Idris Elba

And Lester Freeman.

They wanted to cast people who would be unknown to the US audience.

The biggest surprise to me was finding out that one of Marlowe’s ‘hitmen’ was a woman.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m about the blackest person i know, omar was based on me you know. i’m from the street isnt it 😆

BoardinBob

No BB this was after Cutty got out at the start of S3 (he was in S2 towards tehn end anyway?).

He was gifted a package and gave it to a guy to sell, the guy stiffed him and (I think it was him) got killed. I’ll have a watch!

It was Fruit that stiffed Cutty on the package but when Cutty had the chance to kill him he didn’t and that’s when he realised he was out the game. Cutty didn’t kill anyone after being released.

The scene you’re talking about is after the dog fight. Tree, wearing a grey tracksuit, walks up behind the guy and shoots him in the head then says “woof” to the two guys left standing there.

Trust me, remember I’ve watched the entire thing from start to finish 8 times. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘PSA The Wire from the beginning.’ is closed to new replies.