Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • PSA – that Guy Martin on C4 now, F1 pit crew.
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great fun program and shows something where he is much more at home with the mechanics that the drivers. It’s easy at times to forget his racing talent, the show with David coulthard showed what he can do on the bike and dc’s reaction to following him through a corner was good. Just amazed how much work goes into it.

AlexSimon

Anyone else think that 50k and 200+ days away from home to be an F1 mechanic sounded lower than expected?
    I guess the engineers are on the big money, but still!

benp1

Better than kwik fit though right?

I also enjoyed the bike vs car one he did with Coulthard, was never going to be a fair test but it was still a good watch

tomhoward

Anyone else think that 50k and 200+ days away from home to be an F1 mechanic sounded lower than expected?

Not all rewards are monetary… as Guy said, if he’d been given the opp to do it full time on leaving school he’d be the happiest man alive. That’s Guy Martin, Professional motorcycle racer and tv personality, saying that….

edlong
    Free Member

That’s supply and demand economics that is – there will doubtless be many more able people willing to do it for that money than there are positions available.

AlexSimon

Yes, I guess it’s just the old, married with kids me who thinks it’s a bad deal 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Caught up with this last night.

Sadly under impressed. Ok the subject matter was interesting, Guys a good lad for anything entertaining, but the task was weak. We kinda knew Guy would succeed and do rather well, its in his nature to understand the ins and outs of garages and applying his own solid logic to a problem was always going to be a winner..

More interesting for me was the workings of the Team, how they all gel together and the general nature of an F1 racing team in general. There was me thinking it would all be back stabbing and splitters inc, but turns out everyone gets along and has a giggle whilst they work hard at what they do..

Looking forward to more Guy Speed Specials.. just hoping it gets advertised more because i rarely watch C4 and obviously missed the pro-mo for it..

AlexSimon

just hoping it gets advertised more because i rarely watch C4 and obviously missed the pro-mo for it..

My TV watching has now transformed into waiting until someone raves about something or posts it on here, then getting it on iPlayer/catchup/stream.

Not much of it is live anyway.

the-muffin-man

Foot in the door to F1 on a decent salary. It could easily lead to a senior position in F1 or another series.

If it doesn’t go further then you can see the world and have some great experiences at someone elses expense for a couple of years.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Not all rewards are monetary… as guy said, if he’d been given the opp to do it full time on leaving school he’d be the happiest man alive. 

A lot of motorsport jobs aren’t as highly paid as people would think, a lot of people just do it for the love of it and there will always be people queuing up for positions and the employers know that.

I could probably earn a lot more money in a general engineering job or in the aerospace industry or something similar but I’m a petrol head so being paid to fiddle about with some pretty cool cars is an ideal job. As long as I earn enough to pay all the bills, feed the family and have a bit spare for bikes I’m happy 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘PSA – that Guy Martin on C4 now, F1 pit crew.’ is closed to new replies.